Carista - can it make the aircon colder?

FabFabFabia

10 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

After changing the setting with Carista I did notice my A/C feeling a bit cooler yesterday so it has made a difference but if I could make it go even colder I would. Next week will be the acid test when the weather is supposed to be getting hot around 32 degrees.

This lunchtime the sky was blue and the outside temperature was showing 20c.....my new 'colder' air con did seem to be a little better, however, this afternoon when outside was 24c I'd say the system was starting to struggle somewhat. Before the 'tweak' I was very underwhelmed with the vent output when the outside temp was 16c.

When I switch the air-con on at 'low' I want the cabin feeling something comparable to a M&S Foodhall.

• Like 2

I have bought Carista, connected and made the changes such as needle sweep and showing the fan speed on AUTO but they only work as long as I leave Carista plugged in.  Is this how it works or is there something I should be doing?  I can see the unlocked padlock symbol in bottom left corner but can't seem to change it to locked although save works.

10 minutes ago, Marchincus said:

I have bought Carista, connected and made the changes such as needle sweep and showing the fan speed on AUTO but they only work as long as I leave Carista plugged in.  Is this how it works or is there something I should be doing?  I can see the unlocked padlock symbol in bottom left corner but can't seem to change it to locked although save works.

Assuming you've subscribed to the free one-month trial (which you can cancel anytime) then once you make a customised change you press "Save" and it should stay permanent once you remove Carista from the port. If still no joy I should email them as they're very helpful  [email protected]

Sometimes you have to restart the car twice for everything to "stick".

Edited by FabFabFabia

Thanks for your quick response and you are right it saves after a few restarts!  Do you know what the throttle control "gradual" or "direct" does and should we touch them?   Also can rear DRL lights be turned on?  I assume it is legal to have automatic hazard lights when emergency braking?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Marchincus said:

I assume it is legal to have automatic hazard lights when emergency braking?

Thanks

I think it's standard equipment to have the brake lights pulse rapidly and the hazards to come on once you've stopped after emergency brake application....the hazards go off once you start moving again. 

• Thanks 1

I think the throttle control tightens up the response, on other forums it's the 'Audi throttle mod'.....the standard Karoq throttle control is set to encourage a more gentle drive.

• Thanks 1

You can turn on the rear LED lights along with the DRLs by selecting the Scandinavian mode.

Has anyone tried adjusting the steering settings? I'd like to have lighter steering if possible, especially when parking (more power steering).

I haven't altered the throttle control as I'm hapy with the way the engine responds and wouldn't like to risk messing anything up. As with any change, make a note of the original/default setting first so you can always put it back to where it was. I altered the Auto Stop/Start setting to DISABLE and I then decided to put it back but I forgot to note where the setting originally was so I had to choose a random "OFF" setting of 7 volts. Is this OK?

• Thanks 1

Well, FabFabFabia, after the hottest day of the year, what's the verdict, did the 'tweaked' air-con perform any better?

I was expecting to feel an improvement but I was left distinctly underwhelmed by its performance.......as the outside mercury was rising so too was the output temperature of my so called 'air-con'.....yes, it does cool the airflow but not enough for my liking.

Outside was 30c and my face vents were fluctuating between 10.6c and 13c.

I think the bottom line is the Karoq system is pants?

(so to speak 😒 )

Edited by Berisford

37 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Well, FabFabFabia, after the hottest day of the year, what's the verdict, did the 'tweaked' air-con perform any better?

I was expecting to feel an improvement but I was left distinctly underwhelmed by its performance.......as the outside mercury was rising so too was the output temperature of my so called 'air-con'.....yes, it does cool the airflow but not enough for my liking.

Outside was 30c and my face vents were fluctuating between 10.6c and 13c.

I think the bottom line is the Karoq system is pants?

(so to speak 😒 )

I did notice it was a tad cooler yesterday when the temperatute read 30 degrees outside, but I was out of the sun so it could have still struggled a bit in full sun. So better, yes, but I still felt the 2019 Fabia they loaned me for the Karoq's first service felt colder.

I sometimes don't get the dealer-activated needle sweeps on first start-up, even though I disabled/enabled them myself later with Carista. I wonder if it's because I disabled then re-enabled the auto stop-start thing but didn't know where to set it to put it back to where it was so I chose the lowest voltage value there was.

On another topic, have you, or anyone else following this thread, enabled the rear LED activation with the DRL's? (Scandinavian method). I'm wondering if this is useful or not.

1 hour ago, FabFabFabia said:

On another topic, have you, or anyone else following this thread, enabled the rear LED activation with the DRL's? (Scandinavian method). I'm wondering if this is useful or not.

I tried to do this with VCDS but didn't get anywhere, my 2019 model doesn't seem to have the expected Bit / Byte descriptions.........might have another go at it........What I have done though is enable the DRLs to be switched on/off via the screen and I have them further configured to switch off when the parking brake is applied.

2 hours ago, Berisford said:

I tried to do this with VCDS but didn't get anywhere, my 2019 model doesn't seem to have the expected Bit / Byte descriptions.........might have another go at it........What I have done though is enable the DRLs to be switched on/off via the screen and I have them further configured to switch off when the parking brake is applied.

I might see if my 2018 Karoq can take this mod using Carista. I've seen on YouTube where some people have been able to brighten up their DRLs but it's not an option for me with Carista - maybe it's only for non-LED bulbs. Another mod I haven't tried is adjusting the dynamic steering - I'd like it to be more power-assisted when parking.

Edited by FabFabFabia

Using Carista I enabled the rear LED's when the front DRL's are on and it looked quite cool (Karoq Edition 2018). I noticed the sidelights light was illuminated on the light switch together with the Auto light illuminated so I thought this extra illumination light in daytime would annoy me so I disabled the "rear DEL's with front DRL's" feature. But it definitely worked.

Has anyone enabled the setting "easy entry/exit (req. memory seats)"? I have a driver's electric memory seat but wondered what this customisation does.

9 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

Using Carista I enabled the rear LED's when the front DRL's are on and it looked quite cool (Karoq Edition 2018). I noticed the sidelights light was illuminated on the light switch together with the Auto light illuminated so I thought this extra illumination light in daytime would annoy me so I disabled the "rear DEL's with front DRL's" feature. But it definitely worked.

Has anyone enabled the setting "easy entry/exit (req. memory seats)"? I have a driver's electric memory seat but wondered what this customisation does.

I think that would mean the seat slides all the way back and gives you space to get in, then once you turn on the ignition it moves back to your preference. I had that in a rental car recently

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

I noticed the sidelights light was illuminated on the light switch together with the Auto light illuminated so I thought this extra illumination light in daytime would annoy me so I disabled the "rear DEL's with front DRL's" feature. But it definitely worked.

Yes, I got that far but having parking lights on front and rear isn't quite the 'Scandinavian' rear DRL's I (we) are looking for..........

On 19/06/2019 at 22:38, FabFabFabia said:

UPDATE - Amazon delivered Carista today and on my 2018 Karoq Edition in a matter of a few minutes I had activated the gauge needle sweeps, audible beeps on locking/unlocking, increased the coldness of the air conditioning (from 8.3º to 6.3º), and deactivated the auto start/stop system. There is nothing technical to learn or decode as everything is in a simple ON/OFF one-line description so if you want to return anything to the factory default you simply reverse the setting you changed. I 'm using the free one month trial that comes with the product. So far, so good!

Which options did you choose to get audible beeps for locking the car? There are a few in there:

Allow configuring beep when locking/unlocking

Yes / No

Beep when locking/unlocking doors comes from the…

Alarm system / Horn

Menu for configuring beep when locking/unlocking

Enabled / Disabled

Beep when unlocking with remote

Yes / No

Beep when locking with remote

Yes / No

I just selected Beep when locking with Remote, but nothing happened. I assume I need to say Yes to Allow Config, Enable the Menu and also the beep when locking?

Some of the Skoda climate systems have settings of moderate, medium and intensive?

When I testdrove a Karoq shortly after it came out it was a hot day and my wife mentioned she thought the aircon cooling was weakish. When we got back into our 2014 Superb in comparison it felt like a fridge!

Is this possibly an issue to do with the newer R1234yf mandated since about 2017? Saying that I was in a newish Audi A4 on a recent hottish day and the climate control was pretty cold in that!

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kerbero5 said:

Which options did you choose to get audible beeps for locking the car? There are a few in there:

Allow configuring beep when locking/unlocking

Yes / No

Beep when locking/unlocking doors comes from the…

Alarm system / Horn

Menu for configuring beep when locking/unlocking

Enabled / Disabled

Beep when unlocking with remote

Yes / No

Beep when locking with remote

Yes / No

I just selected Beep when locking with Remote, but nothing happened. I assume I need to say Yes to Allow Config, Enable the Menu and also the beep when locking?

You need to say YES to all of them, and then in the Vehicle Settings in the infotainment screen there will be a menu box which you have to tick to get the audible beeps.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Some of the Skoda climate systems have settings of moderate, medium and intensive?

When I testdrove a Karoq shortly after it came out it was a hot day and my wife mentioned she thought the aircon cooling was weakish. When we got back into our 2014 Superb in comparison it felt like a fridge!

Is this possibly an issue to do with the newer R1234yf mandated since about 2017? Saying that I was in a newish Audi A4 on a recent hottish day and the climate control was pretty cold in that!

The Karoq is not as icy cold as the 2019 Fabia which is bizarre seeing as it's a bigger engine and more than twice the price.

On 03/07/2019 at 00:13, FabFabFabia said:

The Karoq is not as icy cold as the 2019 Fabia which is bizarre seeing as it's a bigger engine and more than twice the price.

The car with the best aircon/climate control is our 2006 Fiat Panda Eleganza - meat locker territory ❄️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've tried the direct throttle rather than gradual and it seems to get rid of the slight hesitation when pulling away is a bit more responsive - but not massively so that you become a boy-racer again!  Is it ok to leave it on this setting? I'm assuming it is safe and legal if available on the Carista system which Skoda must know about?

• 3 weeks later...

The direct throttle really feels much better and like a traditional accelerator however... I've reverted to gradual as direct seems to also affect the drive/suspension and it just doesn't feel "right".  Has anyone else tried this?

Given my comments above and on the the other air-con thread I have a number of temperature sensors/displays fitted in and around the vehicle, namely, inside face vent, inside foot-well vent, rear foot-well area and just below the Amundsen screen.

Recently returned from a trip to the Aips and was running with air-con on much of the time...........

Cabin Temperature: Apart from opening the windows on initial start-up it was impossible to reduce it by any meaningful amount, in fact the cabin temp in the front screen area and rear foot-wells was constantly more than the outside temperature.

Vent Temperature (face and foot-well): Not as low as I'd like, often running as high as 12c with the best seen being 9.5c and that was with outside range between 25c and 30c. 

Curiously, despite the lack of 'low' temp air from the vents I did feel cool enough in myself, however, the moment I shut the face vent blowing on me I was struck with how warm the cabin was.

Assuming my system is operating to the correct spec I really can't believe that Karoq is fitted with the same air-con system the world over, it's just not powerful enough.

• Like 1