New owner questions ... and questions ... and ...

muppix

Right - now that my introduction's out of the way I'll jump right in with some questions if that's OK. I know there's strictly more than one topic, but I've already done some research and only need guidance, not war & peace. ;)

1. Smart Link is installed but was never activated. I gather it’s a £150 job and a trip to the dealer, but if I can buy the ‘part’ and do it myself then that’s a ferry trip saved.
  2. I’d like to get a tow ball fitted, even if it’s probably only ever going to hold a Thule bike carrier. Any recent personal recommendations for a one-stop shop in the UK would be appreciated, but I do need somebody who’ll cut the bumper and code the electrics.
  3. I’ll get it serviced at a trusted garage when it hits 20,000 miles, and will make sure they clean the Haldex unit and replace the non-existent filter, using a Volvo part if necessary. Not expecting any issues as I'll be keeping an eye on it.
  4. Seat covers. Is there anything that actually fits those L+K armchairs?
  5. Finally, any recommendations for a full-length boot liner / tray, ideally one that protects the backs of the driver / passenger seats with rear seats removed? I’m planning a trip to Central Europe to recover a vintage motorcycle, and although I’m sure it’ll all fit inside the Yeti once disassembled it’s bound to leak like an incontinent sow. Thinking about it, since there’s just the missus and me I can see the Yeti staying in van mode quite a bit, so I don’t mind splurging on the boot liner if I can find a good one. 

Many thanks in advance for any wisdom you can fling my way!

Regarding your towbar fit - I have used www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk who are based at Horndean, just north of Portsmouth.

Phil runs a very professional business - he has fitted towbars, with detachable towball, to two of the three Yetis that I have owned.

Tell him what you want, arrange a time and he will have it fitted, complete with electrics, in about 1hour and 20 minutes.  You could even arrange to get it done on your way to catch the ferry!   Hope this helps.

Smartlink.
My understanding is that is dealer only.
Towbar.
Northwest Tow Bars have been recommended by numerous owners over the years, and even have a Yeti fitment video on their website.
Bootliner.
The proper Skoda one seems to be indestructible!

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Regarding your towbar fit - I have used www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk who are based at Horndean, just north of Portsmouth.

Thanks busdriver, I’ll look Phil up. For point #5 I’ll be passing through Portsmouth (maybe Newhaven, not sure yet) so this could work out nicely. If you don’t mind me asking, what did you get done, when, and are you happy with the result? Guess that last one’s a ‘yes’ but any insight you can give me would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Bootliner.
The proper Skoda one seems to be indestructible!

Gotcha on the Smartlink and Towbar, thank you. Being new to the party, is the official Skoda boot liner just for the boot, or the whole cargo area with the seats removed? I’m guessing the former, but pics & part numbers always speak volumes - don’t be shy. ;)

Good to meet another Llani regular by the way, do you ever bump into the boys from Glynhafren? Give my very best regards if you do, tell them they made us the Enduro Gods that we are today, and we’re still waiting for them to come and see us on the Island.

12 hours ago, muppix said:

Gotcha on the Smartlink and Towbar, thank you. Being new to the party, is the official Skoda boot liner just for the boot, or the whole cargo area with the seats removed? I’m guessing the former, but pics & part numbers always speak volumes - don’t be shy. ;)

Good to meet another Llani regular by the way, do you ever bump into the boys from Glynhafren? Give my very best regards if you do, tell them they made us the Enduro Gods that we are today, and we’re still waiting for them to come and see us on the Island.

The Skoda liner only covers the rear section of the boot.

See them occasionally, so shall pass it on.

For those that are wondering, Google "The Yamaha Experience" in Llanidloes

10 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

For those that are wondering, Google "The Yamaha Experience" in Llanidloes

• Like 1

On 16/06/2019 at 17:10, muppix said:

I’ll get it serviced at a trusted garage when it hits 20,000 miles, and will make sure they clean the Haldex unit and replace the non-existent filter, using a Volvo part if necessary. Not expecting any issues as I'll be keeping an eye on it

Haven't collected our L&K yet but I believe ours and yours will be Haldex V (five) and so will (really) not have the filter you mention. 

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide

Edited by juan27
add link

Another vote for Phil Taylor Towbars whose guys fitted a Westfalia detachable towbar to my Yeti several years ago including recoding the electrics.  They knew exactly what they were doing.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yes but it still needs opening and the mesh filter cleaning before reassembling and filling with clean oil.

Skoda just change the oil at 3 years

Got it - cheers. So on the 5th Gen Haldex it's just the mesh filter, not a "consumable" filter like older versions?

3 hours ago, muppix said:

Got it - cheers. So on the 5th Gen Haldex it's just the mesh filter, not a "consumable" filter like older versions?

Correct there is no "Volvo" part to fit.  It literally doesn't exist rather than is unlisted by Skoda. 

For a boot liner look at Hatchbag. I've had them in past cars and they are pretty much indestructible and can be specified for just the boot area or for the extended boot area with the seats down. Not necessarily the prettiest boot liner you will see but very practical if you are going to use your Yeti as a van!!!

11 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yes but it still needs opening and the mesh filter cleaning before reassembling and filling with clean oil.

Skoda just change the oil at 3 years

My dealer cleaned the filter.