Which headunit/adding bluetooth to Swing?

Our 2014 Fabia has a Swing stereo, but no steering wheel controls or Maxidot.

I'd like to add decent handsfree 'phone function, but it seems like the aftermarket 'phone kits don't work with the late Fabia 2 versions of the Swing radio. I could add a VAG bluetooth module of some description, but then I'd not have 'phonebook access through the Swing unit - is my understanding correct?

Therefore I'm looking at the Chinese Android headunits - what can people recommend please?

There is a post on Briskoda about getting the right Skoda RNS315 on eBay:

With the Chinese imports it is a simple case of "you get what you pay for" which means you get a unit with outdated Android firmware that you cannot upgrade and your favourite sat nav app may or may not work with.

On 17/06/2019 at 06:26, amstrange1 said:

Therefore I'm looking at the Chinese Android headunits - what can people recommend please?

I also had the swing, which I connected a bluetooth aux adapater to and used Waze through the Bluetooth for satnav. 

However, I decided it would be a much more elegant solution to replace the head unit like you are wanting to. 

The factory touch screen head unit for the Fabia is the Amundsen I believe, which will fit easily, but may require coding through VCDS, which other members will be more knowledgeable on. 

I ended up going down the cheaper amazon unit route, and chose the £150 RNS510 (Columbus) style Aumume headunit from Amazon. It isn’t an android unit, but it is based on wince, so it is very easy to use and offers the functionality you ask for. Time will tell about the build quality though. 

E5D0D6CF-3E55-432D-9701-791992FF5AEA.jpeg

Edited by CS45

On 17/06/2019 at 06:26, amstrange1 said:

I also had the swing, which I connected a bluetooth aux adapater to and used Waze through the Bluetooth for satnav. 

However, I decided it would be a much more elegant solution to replace the head unit like you are wanting to. 

The factory touch screen head unit for the Fabia is the Amundsen I believe, which will fit easily, but may require coding through VCDS, which other members will be more knowledgeable. 

I ended up going down the cheaper amazon units, and chose the £150 RNS510 (Columbus) style Aumume headunit from Amazon. It isn’t an android unit, but it is based on wince, so it is very easy to use and offers the functionality you ask for. Time will tell about the build quality though.

UPDATE- The head unit is being sent back because it keeps crashing. Don’t bother with it.

On 25/06/2019 at 06:38, amstrange1 said:

Still waiting on an Amundsen+ to arrive!

Arrived and installed - followed the guide on here to make sure I had one with a MAC address written on the side for built-in bluetooth. Working like a charm at a fraction of the price of a Columbus.

Used a generic sat nav aerial and genuine VW/Skoda microphone to get it all working.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

I bought a used one on eBay. Had to check the pics to see that it had a non-zero MAC address on the label (as that indicates it has built-in bluetooth), and you need to check that they come with the security code too - quite a few don't.

On my 60 reg Fabia mk 2 the aerial is waterlogged so loosing signal, I have a Swing and Pure 600 DAB+ . Which find really great but the Bluetooth is with this also in areas of week DAB reception need to revert to just the Swing radio so loose a Bluetooth connection. So no phone or Spotify or nav from phone.

So going to get a new aerial with DAB+ and maybe GPS , not a shark fin as that nearly £50 more. And match it with a Pioneer AVH-Z5200DAB with car play and Android auto and CD/DVD player, Bluetooth can connect two phones I believe. I already have a android pixel 3 phone with both Copilot and Sygic  paid Nagivation Apps. So will use Android auto to mirror phone display and voice directions.

Will probably still keep the Pure600 as backup for if the Pioneer has problems with a poor signal area where the Pure doesn't or vice versa. Been quoted £600 with aerial, fitting kits , head unit (£400) and labour.

I have a maxidot display , not sure whether Pioneer will display reversing sensor on the display but would still have audible notification.

Edited by Kenrw8