Skoda Octavia low coolant warning and large repair bill

25 minutes ago, oldgroaner said:

The silica is in the form of crystals, any particles present in the matrix would consist of corroded alumnium which could likely lool like sand., and since the Silica bag is intended to beef up the protective qualities of the coolant, it obviously fails if these particles appear.

It's simply a bodge to cover up a manufacturing defect.

I'm not sure that you've understood what I'm suggesting may have happened?

I speculate that the silica bag in your original expansion tank may have ruptured, allowing the contained silica crystals to flow round with the coolant circulation. Where they met small-bore pipework within the heater matrix, these have become stuck, blocking the flow. This would explain both where the 'sand' came from, and why Skoda felt it necessary to replace the header tank as well as the matrix?

All speculation on my part, but I think @logiclee may have been suggesting something similar. Tech bulletins describing flux etc. as the problem may be being 'economical with the truth' let's say. 

2 hours ago, oldgroaner said:

The silica is in the form of crystals, any particles present in the matrix would consist of corroded alumnium which could likely lool like sand., and since the Silica bag is intended to beef up the protective qualities of the coolant, it obviously fails if these particles appear.

It's simply a bodge to cover up a manufacturing defect.

As I understand it when the Silica bag splits it's the silica itself that blocks the heater matrix.

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I'm not sure that you've understood what I'm suggesting may have happened?

I speculate that the silica bag in your original expansion tank may have ruptured, allowing the contained silica crystals to flow round with the coolant circulation. Where they met small-bore pipework within the heater matrix, these have become stuck, blocking the flow. This would explain both where the 'sand' came from, and why Skoda felt it necessary to replace the header tank as well as the matrix?

All speculation on my part, but I think @logiclee may have been suggesting something similar. Tech bulletins describing flux etc. as the problem may be being 'economical with the truth' let's say. 

A fair point, but as you can see in the video link, I posted the contents of the bag are a white crystal and could not be mistaken for sand. However I have read of blockages due to these crystal on other VAG forims so you make a  very fair point.

The original tank either didn't have a slica bag , ot it had completely disappeared, apparently they were not always present according to posters on other VAG forums,

Edited by oldgroaner
Spelling errrors!

7 minutes ago, logiclee said:

As I understand it when the Silica bag splits it's the silica itself that blocks the heater matrix.

That I'm sure does happen but there didn't appear to be a bag in my original unit, and the dealer clearly mentioned  sand not crystals, and the technical bulleting cited corroded aluinium particles that would look like sand.

Mind you whatever it was it's till Skoda's liability is't it?

1 minute ago, oldgroaner said:

That I'm sure does happen but there didn't appear to be a bag in my original unit, and the dealer clearly mentioned  sand not crystals, and the technical bulleting cited corroded aluinium particles that would look like sand.

Mind you whatever it was it's till Skoda's liability is't it?

Yes it's a VAG issue. If the bag wasn't in the coolant tank that would suggest to me that it has previously split and been removed.

With thanks to the posters who brought up the possible failure of the silica bag in the coolant tank, failure of this is of course still Skoda's liabilty and a bit of a bad joke to present someone with a wacking great bill for the failure of the equivalent of a tea bag!

3 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Yes it's a VAG issue. If the bag wasn't in the coolant tank that would suggest to me that it has previously split and been removed.

A very good point indeed!

It looks like our 2016 1.4 model is joining this party.

On the 16th the operator reported a dash warning lamp for low coolant. Sure enough the header was empty.

I topped up to MAX and all was well for 10 days till the level dropped to MIN.

Under 19,000 miles.

I envisage an awkward phone call to my nearest dealer - who did not supply the car.

Just been out to check my car, 2l tdi 18 plate. It has Mit silikat printed on the expansion tank. Do I have or have not the dreaded bag. Can't visually see anything after removing the top.

On 27/06/2019 at 11:54, BoxerBoy said:

On the 16th the operator reported a dash warning lamp for low coolant. Sure enough the header was empty.

Under 19,000 miles.

I envisage an awkward phone call to my nearest dealer - who did not supply the car.

Obviously I wish  you luck, make sure to jot down the points raised on here! and let us know how you get on

On 27/06/2019 at 12:11, benterrier said:

Just been out to check my car, 2l tdi 18 plate. It has Mit silikat printed on the expansion tank. Do I have or have not the dreaded bag. Can't visually see anything after removing the top.

You certainly SHOULD have, check with the dealer what is going on! I can see the bag at the inside at the  front of the vessel on my car

Edited by oldgroaner
bad spelling!

I have a 67 plate petrol vRS with 19,200 on the clock.  On a ride out today I had the low coolant warning flash up.  I pulled over and checked the level and it's just under the minimum mark.  Temperature remained constant at its usual 90 degrees - no fluctuation whatsoever.  I completed my journey, as I was nearly there.  On returning home, the light did not reappear on this 25 minute journey.  The level looks the same, after checking once the car was allowed to cool off.  I have the car booked in for its first service (2 years or 20K) on 8th July as this is the schedule Motability follow.

I can't remember having this light come on in any other car bar an old banger I ran many years ago.  Should I be worried?  Thanks for any input ☺️.

30 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

I have a 67 plate petrol vRS with 19,200 on the clock.  On a ride out today I had the low coolant warning flash up.  I pulled over and checked the level and it's just under the minimum mark.  Temperature remained constant at its usual 90 degrees - no fluctuation whatsoever.  I completed my journey, as I was nearly there.  On returning home, the light did not reappear on this 25 minute journey.  The level looks the same, after checking once the car was allowed to cool off.  I have the car booked in for its first service (2 years or 20K) on 8th July as this is the schedule Motability follow.

I can't remember having this light come on in any other car bar an old banger I ran many years ago.  Should I be worried?  Thanks for any input ☺️

No you shouldn't be worried the cars still under motabilty warranty. Just tell Skoda dealer it's lost coolant. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, oldgroaner said:

You certainly SHOULD have, check with the dealer what is going on! I can see the bag at the inside at the  front of the vessel on my car

Ive got the same on mine. Just had a feel round in the header tank. Ive found what appears to feel like a plastic bag in the tank. Any one know what it does?

2 hours ago, Stuart-h said:

Ive got the same on mine. Just had a feel round in the header tank. Ive found what appears to feel like a plastic bag in the tank. Any one know what it does?

Google "vw silica bag in header tank"  Plenty of info & videos

On 29/06/2019 at 18:57, peterhardy said:

I can't remember having this light come on in any other car bar an old banger I ran many years ago.  Should I be worried?  Thanks for any input ☺️.

Make sure that the dealer is aware that you know people have had problems with the manufacturing defect i mentioned and check if it says "Mit Silikat" on the Expansion tank .unscrew the cap  when the engine is stone cold and the bag (if there) is visible in the front of the coolant opposite the two prongs of the electrode at the rear. Make sure you record when this happened and what assurance they give you for future reference.

• Thanks 1

On 29/06/2019 at 20:13, Stuart-h said:

Yes it replenishes silica lost from the coolant if there is contamination of the fluid....shouldn't be required really as the only way for contamination to be thee is from a manufacturing defect .. read through my posts and follow the links, it's all there VAG group had a problem and they know about it..

On 29/06/2019 at 19:37, benterrier said:

No you shouldn't be worried the cars still under motabilty warranty. Just tell Skoda dealer it's lost coolant. 

I wouldn't go so far as to be "not worried" when there is a likely failure due to a known manufacturing fault  at any time after the warranty runs out!

Get the dealer to check

9 minutes ago, oldgroaner said:

I wouldn't go so far as to be "not worried" when there is a likely failure due to a known manufacturing fault  at any time after the warranty runs out!

Get the dealer to check

My comment " no you shouldn't be worried " was referring to the point that the person has the car on a motabilty contract. They give the car back after 3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldgroaner said:

Make sure that the dealer is aware that you know people have had problems with the manufacturing defect i mentioned and check if it says "Mit Silikat" on the Expansion tank .unscrew the cap  when the engine is stone cold and the bag (if there) is visible in the front of the coolant opposite the two prongs of the electrode at the rear. Make sure you record when this happened and what assurance they give you for future reference. 

The expansion tank does say 'Mit Silikat' on the side.  The car is too hot to check now but I will in the morning.  The level has remained static since I added just under a half pint of water on saturday.  I have the car booked in monday 8th so will query this with them.  Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, benterrier said:

My comment " no you shouldn't be worried " was referring to the point that the person has the car on a motabilty contract. They give the car back after 3 years.  

This is correct, I hand the car back after 3 years.  I would however always make sure that any problem I came across during my lease was properly addressed and resolved.  I will update with the dealer's response on monday.  Thanks!

This is correct, I hand the car back after 3 years.  I would however always make sure that any problem I came across during my lease was properly addressed and resolved.  I will update with the dealer's response on monday.  Thanks!

Good to hear that. Look forward to the dealers response 

16 hours ago, oldgroaner said:

There's no bag to be seen there.

2 hours ago, peterhardy said:

There's no bag to be seen there.

I have again checked my coolant reservoir. Access to the inside of the reservoir is limited to the area directly below the filler cap and nothing can be found, no bag only the 2 prongs. My car is showing no signs off any problems and is an 18 plate with 8k on the clock. Just puzzled to have a reservoir with Mit silikat written on it? The link posted earlier in the postings makes interesting reading. I'm hoping this manufacturing fault with the flux and aluminium has been sorted and that the reservoirs still carry the print.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxgazxO4YLZV0hyTm1OVm1tNE0/view

By the way, just in case anyone is wondering, "Mit silikat" in German basically means "with silicate".  If the header tank says "Mit silikat", it means you ought to have the bag in there somewhere.!

On 27/06/2019 at 11:54, BoxerBoy said:

Under 19,000 miles.

I dropped the car off with the dealer this morning, after a face to face chat a couple of days ago.

There was no argument - the receptionist asked if “I’d had a warning light?” Yes!

No courtesy car needed as I wanted it loooked at sooner rather than later.

I received a phone call within 4 hours with a diagnosis blaming the water pump. None in stock, but they’re keeping the patient in overnight and hopefully it will be finished tomorrow with a clean bill of health.

Under 3 years old and 19,000 miles.

I love the car and am considering buying it back in October, but can I trust it now?