28253 - Coolant Pump 3 P26F8 00 [175] - Stuck

Hello,

I have a 2017 L&K Combi (190bhp 4X4) and today the Engine Management light has come on. I plugged in my VCDS lead and cleared the fault but within 5 minutes its back...

Whilst the car hasnt gone into limp mode, and there is nothing showing in the venicle part of the maxidot - the Fault Priority is 2 which, according to the VCDS manual, is a "The Fault requires an immediate service appointment"

Has anyone else had this issue?

Knowing my local garage its going to be at least a week before they will look at it and I have got to drive about 400 miles at the end of this week.

1 Fault Found:
28253 - Coolant Pump 3 
          P26F8 00 [175] - Stuck
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 69569 km
                    Date: 2019.06.24
                    Time: 18:33:05

Engine speed: 0.00 /min
                    Normed load value: 0.0 %
                    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 69 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 66 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 11.520 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                    Engine status: COENG_READY
                    Engine status-Test_Program_Co Eng st COMPU VERB UBYTE: 1

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 1 

• Like 1

Don't know if this is the same fault as mine but in six weeks it had both auxiliary coolant pumps changed under warranty (yes there are two).  Was a little annoyed when the second went, my initial reaction was that they hadn't done the first one properly but it was the other one that had failed.

Engine management light came on each time but not reduced power.  Dealer said that all I would experience would be that warm air would be slower to reach the cabin.  I drove down to the south of France and back with the light on, warm air was the last thing I wanted the car to pump out in Connaux last September.

Edited by IJWS15
  • Like 1

My best guess is that this is the electric coolant pump that circulates coolant around the engine after the engine has been stopped, to prevent localised hotspots/boiling. In particular in the turbo. So until it is fixed my advice would be to try to avoid stopping the engine immediately after it has been working hard. Try to arrive at destination using only modest power for the last couple of miles, and let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before switching off. Obviously turn of start/stop.

• Like 1

As already mentioned in another thread about water pump, our car had auxiliary coolant pump changed twice (not sure if it was the same both times).  Beside that there was another related problem once, when it looked like the same problem but was just a relay at the end. All of that fixed under warranty.

Our failed always after a longer drive on the German autobahn (4-8 hours), where the car was pushed quite a bit. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 26/06/2019 at 08:57, IJWS15 said:

... it had both auxiliary coolant pumps changed under warranty (yes there are two) ...

Hello ... I was told S3 2.0 TSI 206 kW 4x4 DSG with trailer has 2 auxiliary electrical water pumps installed. But the coding of the engine is coded for 1 electric water pump. When I tried to change the coding to 2 pumps, the unit refused the coding. Now I do not know which is true...

water_pumps_coding.png

water_pumps_coding_error.png

Thats easy, use your MK1 eyeballs to see if it has one or two auxiliary pumps fitted.

And yes I do understand that if they are there they will not stand out amongst all the other guff, junk and rubbish that adorn modern engines, best to start with Google to find some images or better still the VAG self study guide.