1st Yeti 4X4

WHITT

You can feel it engage when you accelerate briskly out of a side turning with a lot of steering input. It feels like a shove from the back momentarily after the front wheels start to take up the drive.

Its worth testing on a muddy track to check it is working, as a lot aren't. There is no indication of failure before you get stuck with the front wheels spinning with no grip and nothing happens at the rear If you set of  backwards briskly and there is drive at the rear it flings mud up onto the rear doors!

• Like 2

I've just had my Haldex  serviced by a  independant (The Phirm), mines done 41k and he showed me pics of the sludge inside.

Nowhere as bad as some I've seen but still needed doing. A main dealer wanted to charge me £150 to do on oil change "service"

on the Haldex I got it done correctly for the same money inc new seals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GaffCelticViking said:

If my THEORY (not proof) is correct this measures some form of pressure in the Haldex Clutch. If so, I can postulate (assume) the following:

• Haldex on the Yeti is an on-demand 4x4, it is a front-drive vehicle except when conditions require rear-wheel drive too.
  • The Haldex engages when starting from standstill (above 50%) which chimes in well with what one motor-journalist has claimed.
  • The Haldex engages the rear-wheels when accelerating, the heavier the "lead-foot" 1f642.png🙂 the more the Haldex engages.
  • The Haldex engages when making gentle turns on the motorway, as well as when accelerating out of corners.
  • The Haldex engages when coming to a full stop too (5%).
  • The Haldex is in full front-wheel drive when cruising on the motorway (0%) or a national road.
  • Engaging Off-Road mode engages the Haldex permanently (continuously at 13%).

1/ Agreed.

2/ Not from my experience, except in some very specific conditions, typically when there are quite strong steering angles being imposed.

3/ Yes, but it needs a very heavy right foot.

4/ Allegedly only if the windscreen wipers are turned on.

5/ Not something I have ever noticed in all the years I have driven off-road.

6/ Yes, see post 1 above.

7/ Definitely NOT. I have been in plenty of situations where I know, from experience, that there is little or no drive to the rear when the ORR has been pressed.

14 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

1/ Agreed.

2/ Not from my experience, except in some very specific conditions, typically when there are quite strong steering angles being imposed.

3/ Yes, but it needs a very heavy right foot.

4/ Allegedly only if the windscreen wipers are turned on.

5/ Not something I have ever noticed in all the years I have driven off-road.

6/ Yes, see post 1 above.

7/ Definitely NOT. I have been in plenty of situations where I know, from experience, that there is little or no drive to the rear when the ORR has been pressed.

VW documentation (PDF's shared by kind Skoda/VW enthusiasts) of the Haldex support my ODB II findings (theory). Is there a difference in the way Skoda implements 4x4 compared to the rest of the VW Group? Is there a difference between Mark I and Mark II of the Skoda Yeti, besides 4th and 5th generation Haldex? What is the Haldex doing that causes the pressure to increase during the various driving conditions?

Had my yeti 4yrs and didn’t do any specific  off road like some owners and was never really aware of the 4wd in action on a day to day basis (you could say that’s how good it is)even with a heavy right foot,but I soon realised when I put my foot hard down on a slippery wet road one day and the front wheels started to bounce and slip that the Haldex had failed in under 3 yrs (warranty work)so for me just a very nice car to drive on a day to day basis unaware of the haldex doing its job but after reading all haldex related post if the car is out of warranty I would personally have the filter cleared and new haldex oil every 24 months even although I ...............................................

never knew what caused the failure in under 25,000 miles

• Like 2

What the Haldex has to do depends very much on what tyres are on and the Yeti was and is like all VW Group SUV's with AWD. 

They come on rather rubbish OEM tyres that mean when it comes to mud, slush, snow and ice the Haldex Equipped vehicle might slip and slid more than a lighter FWD model on the 'Correct Tyres' for the conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

What the Haldex has to do depends very much on what tyres are on and the Yeti was and is like all VW Group SUV's with AWD. 

They come on rather rubbish OEM tyres that mean when it comes to mud, slush, snow and ice the Haldex Equipped vehicle might slip and slid more than a lighter FWD model on the 'Correct Tyres' for the conditions.

Of course the FWD cars come on the same "summer" tyres, the 4x4 is always going to make more progress on the same tyres.        

• Haha 1

Of course, as i just sort of said.

and someone changing them for more appropriate can maybe go further than the 4x4 on the OEM.

Actually the 4x4 sometimes has the heavier engine, wider tyres and driver that thinks they have all the gear and a go anywhere vehicle which is often not the case.

It goes so far until the lack of clearance shows they are soft roaders not all roaders.

Edited by Roottootemoot

A farming friend of mine with a Landie once said "4WD is meant to get you out of trouble you get into in 2WD, some however make the mistake of using 4WD in the first place and get into trouble which they then have no hope of getting themselves out of without help."

• Like 1

Wonder why new 4x4s don’t come booted with all season tyres  as there is quite a selection on the market now and it might allow soft road owners to have their expectations fulfilled when going onto grass ,I think when I bought my yeti 5 years ago it came with the Dunlop sp01/2 

3 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Wonder why new 4x4s don’t come booted with all season tyres  as there is quite a selection on the market now and it might allow soft road owners to have their expectations fulfilled when going onto grass ,I think when I bought my yeti 5 years ago it came with the Dunlop sp01/2 

Fair point well made, in the USA its a common option even on more conventional saloons etc.  Before settling on a used Yeti we looked at various new 4x4 cars and none of them were offered with any tyre options other than standard "summer" rubber. 

41 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Normal uk fashion for wide low profile wheels.

Ideally the Yeti should have come on 16" wheels with all season tyres, but this was not wanted by most buyers.

Hmm not really. You can get 17" Michelin CrossClimate tyres  in the standard size (50 profile) for our Yeti (in fact it has them), and I run my Octavia VRS on 18" CrossClimate+ (40 profile).    

I can only put it down to the fact that UK car distributors don't think the limited demand is worth the effort of making them available as an option. 

However I'm sure there's potential profit in offering it.   

Basically we bought a 4x4 because we live in the country and need to make journeys in wintry conditions if they happen, so I'd really struggle with buying a new 4x4 on summer tyres making it sub optimal for intended purpose from the get go.   

Fitting some better rubber after purchase at a cost of £400-£500 would be bad enough, but you're also then left with some unused but not new tyres which aren't easy to sell on for a decent price.   

Not arguing by the way with the proposition that  the Yeti is probably better suited to 16s.   I'd have it on A/T tyres if possible but not sure that would go down too well with the usual driver.  

Edited by juan27

Fiat Panda Cross come with decent OEM tyres,  the latest Suzuki Jimny and the previous come with ridiculous Bridgestone Duelers (like some Skoda AWD's),

The tyres still don't help the emissions test results the Jimny gets which are very high.

Edited by Roottootemoot

2 hours ago, juan27 said:

Hmm not really. You can get 17" Michelin CrossClimate tyres  in the standard size (50 profile) for our Yeti (in fact it has them), and I run my Octavia VRS on 18" CrossClimate+ (40 profile).    

I can only put it down to the fact that UK car distributors don't think the limited demand is worth the effort of making them available as an option. 

However I'm sure there's potential profit in offering it.   

Basically we bought a 4x4 because we live in the country and need to make journeys in wintry conditions if they happen, so I'd really struggle with buying a new 4x4 on summer tyres making it sub optimal for intended purpose from the get go.   

Fitting some better rubber after purchase at a cost of £400-£500 would be bad enough, but you're also then left with some unused but not new tyres which aren't easy to sell on for a decent price.   

Not arguing by the way with the proposition that  the Yeti is probably better suited to 16s.   I'd have it on A/T tyres if possible but not sure that would go down too well with the usual driver.  

I have had 3 yeti's, first and third on standard 17" low profile, second on 16" as a greenline. I now also have a set of 16" winter tyres for my current car.

The ride is far superior on 16" rubber, and I understand there is more choice in tyres at that size, especially in winter tyres and cross climate. Possibly cheaper as well as more choice.

In my opinion the car was designed for 16" wheels and was supplied on them here in low spec versions and for most of the other countries 16" were fitted to the majority sold.

Its only the uk where we are forced to take low profile wheels with any sort of decent spec and a thin skim of rubber on them, and suffer from the appalling ride to get a couple of % better handling. Personally I don't drive everywhere at the limit of tyre adhesion! I have seen some cars recently on huge rims with possibly only 25 to 30mm of tyre fitted - must be terribly bumpy!  I had a golf on hire once with wheels like these, supposedly very desirable, but I hated driving it.

• Like 1

I have two sets of tyres, summer and winter. I find the improved grip noticeable in winter over what summer tyres provide, but I'm not sure our climate justifies full winters except in the far north. When my tyres wear out I'll probably replace the summers with another set of summers, but might put all season on to replace the winters.

Winters perform less well above 5-7 degrees and wear at a higher rate. Generally our winters fluctuate up and down, so it's generally 50/50 on any given day whether they are in their correct temp range or not for about 2/3rds of the winter season. It usually only stays reliably very cold for a week or two at most. So particularly for the 4x4 variant, the all seasons might be good enough for the cold months here.