Low Coolant Warning

Normal for this to come on a 18 month old car which has covered 12k miles? 

For info visual inspection looks like the water is to the required even. Obviously checking this first thing in morning when it tends to bong. 

Edited by aldouk

Has the level went down since the last time you checked it?

Any obvious signs of a leak, drips on road?

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, aldouk said:

Normal for this to come on a 18 month old car which has covered 12k miles? 

For info visual inspection looks like the water is to the required even. Obviously checking this first thing in morning when it tends to bong. 

Best advice is do not add water, take it back to the dealer for them to check that they coolant is OK there could be a problem, and in any case you really need the correct coolant see my post Low coolant warning led to large bill

Let them sort it out at their expense

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D402 said:

I've had three 2.0 TDI 150 engined cars and they've all needed coolant top ups between services.

Surely that indicates something is very wrong?

I did a little under 35,000 miles in my last two !.9 TDI Octavias and neither ever used or lost a drop of coollant.

Edited by oldgroaner
incomplete

3 minutes ago, oldgroaner said:

Surely that indicates something is very wrong?

I did a little under 370,000  total miles in my last two !.9 TDI Octavias and neither ever used or lost a drop of coollant.

7 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Has the level went down since the last time you checked it?

Any obvious signs of a leak, drips on road?

Yes I think it has, unless I didn’t get the angle right before. But with a phone light flash, the level is low as illustrated with the yellow line.  

I think I might just call the dealer and see what they say. I’m very wary of coolant lights as I had ongoing issues with a Touran, albeit that car was older and 100k mikes on the clock!

0904DA40-AAD4-494C-AD62-3C85C5AB86B3.jpeg

1 hour ago, oldgroaner said:

Best advice is do not add water, take it back to the dealer for them to check that they coolant is OK there could be a problem, and in any case you really need the correct coolant see my post Low coolant warning led to large bill

Let them sort it out at their expense

I was reading your post before. How awful for them to initially charge you for it!

Mine was low before it hit it's first 15,000 km service.

Tis nothing to b worried about.

But if it keeps dropping after a top up, then there is a problem as its a closed loop.

5 hours ago, JR RS said:

Mine was low before it hit it's first 15,000 km service.

Tis nothing to b worried about.

But if it keeps dropping after a top up, then there is a problem as its a closed loop.

Still best to get the dealer to deal with the problem so they have a record, it may well be an air lock issue, but then it may not.

34 minutes ago, oldgroaner said:

Still best to get the dealer to deal with the problem so they have a record, it may well be an air lock issue, but then it may not.

They did.

I was only 2-3 months out from the service.  They said top it up with water, and they would flush it all out and put new coolant in at the service.

Tis been fine ever since.

Edited by JR RS

13 minutes ago, JR RS said:

They did.

I was only 2-3 months out from the service.  They said top it up with water, and they would flush it all out and put new coolant in at the service.

Tis been fine ever since.

That is very good to hear and commendably good service from the dealer

Just one question... why is it necessary to change the coolant which should have lasted till the cam belt is changed? why couldn't they just top it up with the correct coolant?

The amount of water you added shouldn't have been enough to contaminate 7 litres of coolant

Flushing out is a very expensive and time consuming process, I know having paid for it,

Strange that they thought it necessary, they must have had a reason.

I would be asking them why?

My low coolant light came on a couple of months ago (with the car having done perhaps 25k miles).  I called Skoda and they sent a Skoda Assist van to my house to top it up with the correct coolant.  Level hasn't moved since.

I called my local dealership today, they informed me to just top it up with water!

Fair enough, it goes back in 5 months anyway and if anything does go wrong now I’ve only done as instructed!