Uninvited passengers

Water can also be blown / forced uphill.

The light cluster we're talking about here is on the boot lid. When the bootlid is open then it can be reasonable to assume water can enter from underneath, much like a climbing spider.

The point here is Skoda claim that the rear lights are 'sealed' and 'maintenance free' which doesn't appear to be the case.

I appreciate the dead spider is harmless, but it would bug me (excuse the pun) seeing it sat there everytime I walked around the back of the car. It's not a great look is it?

Edited by silver1011

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The point here is Skoda claim that the rear lights are 'sealed' and 'maintenance free' which doesn't appear to be the case.

If they do indeed claim they are sealed then its a watertight case (or not as the case may well be).

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I appreciate the dead spider is harmless, but it would bug me (excuse the pun) seeing it sat there everytime I walked around the back of the car. It's not a great look is it?

There has been a dead spider sitting at the bottom of my near side rear light cluster for quite some time. It doesn’t appear to impair the function of the lights. The fact that a spider can gain access to the light *cluster* does not mean that the light itself is not sealed. 

I would expect Skoda to replace my expensive light cluster if it fails due to water ingress. I wouldn’t expect them to replace it because I don’t like seeing a dead spider. Everyone is different though, and Skoda UK are the ones that decide. 

It never occurred to me that it was a potential warranty claim.🤔

It took  me twenty minutes at home, rather than a day at the dealers though!

But, I can understand some owners asking the dealer for assistance if they’re  not happy or confident to have a go themselves. 

Part of my own job is repairing ovens, and because the doors are vented it’s possible for insects to gain access. Strictly speaking this wouldn’t be a warranty claim, (Most oven instruction manuals cover door/glass removal) but we usually don’t charge and do the repair “goodwill” if the customer isn’t confident. I would hope most Skoda dealers would have the same attitude. 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, newstuk said:

How is the tail gate cluster removed - can anyone explain?

Quite easy really. There’s a couple of pop open covers approximately 2 x 4cm in size on the inner side of the tail gate.Once these are opened three 10mm nuts are revealed, remove these and the light cluster can be lifted away after the tail gate has been lowered a little or you stand on a stepladder. 😃

6 hours ago, newstuk said:

Thanks, Manc-Fletch. Presumably, this means removing the plastic tail gate interior lining? How does this come off?

No, you don’t take off the lining. The nut covers are part of the lining.😀

I will post a photo if I get chance later.

Try getting a hoover to suck it out. Seal the hoover tool over the hole with some tape and switch it on.

You’ll be surprised what it can suck out. I use this technique to route internal cabling on my pushbike!

2 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Genius!

Having just changed the gear cable on my Crossfuse I can appreciate the pain of that job.

To make it really easy tie a piece of cotton to the cable and that comes through even easier! Thread creep, if you'll excuse the pun!

1 minute ago, banksie said:

To make it really easy tie a piece of cotton to the cable and that comes through even easier! Thread creep, if you'll excuse the pun!

Like the pun. 

I think it would snap the cotton, so tight going over the motor and then out through the back of the frame. 

On 24/07/2019 at 08:28, newstuk said:

Thanks, Manc-Fletch. Presumably, this means removing the plastic tail gate interior lining? How does this come off?

Just in case anyone is interested (for other reasons), I removed my tailgate lining last weekend.  It's just clipped on.  Yank it off from the centre-bottom (around the latch)  and work around the edges.

(If you don't have the powered boot lid, remove the screw that holds the rubber handle off first).

Then the upper piece around the top of the window is held on with 2 screws that are hidden until you yank off the bottom piece, and then it just pulls off too.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Had flies in both of these lights, dealer managed to clean out one of them, didn’t bother with the other🙁

Pretty obvious to me it needs a foam insert to prevent insect access. Stupid omission.

If I clean them out in future I’ll foam pack them.