The Invisible Car

What happened to the Sportline?

I haven’t seen ‘hide nor hair’ of one yet, which is a pity as I like the idea of the model option. Not seen them in showrooms or out in the wild.

Maybe they have cool new camouflage paint too....

E.

Just specced one up with 1.5TSi and DSG and it came to £29,222 with a few options before discount. My 245 with options was £29,300 in Aug 2017 before discount. Might as well buy the Vrs at that price unless you are young and need lower insurance or better fuel consumption.:thinking:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just specced one up with 1.5TSi and DSG and it came to £29,222 with a few options before discount. My 245 with options was £29,300 in Aug 2017 before discount. Might as well buy the Vrs at that price unless you are young and need lower insurance or better fuel consumption.:thinking:

Thats the exact reason you’ll hardly see any. They were quite pricey with a few key extras that you might as well just buy a vRS.  There really isn’t a sound reason for it to exist. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

A 2019 price vs a 2017 price and you're suggesting to buy at the 2017 price in 2019? Do you have a time machine handy? 😳

Looking at current prices for no optioned cars... Both list and discounted, there's a clear £3-4k difference between a Sportline TSI DSG and a VRS TSI DSG. 

10 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Eh?  Drive the deal, 245 Challenge dsg £25178.  1.5tsi Sportline DSG £20025 -  that's a £5000 price difference.

24 minutes ago, ahenners said:

A 2019 price vs a 2017 price and you're suggesting to buy at the 2017 price in 2019? Do you have a time machine handy? 😳

Looking at current prices for no optioned cars... Both list and discounted, there's a clear £3-4k difference between a Sportline TSI DSG and a VRS TSI DSG. 

When I reach 88mph I can choose any year I like. 1985 is my favorite, I was only 21 and had just bought my first new car.🚙

I suspect it's more a case of people actually take a lower spec vRS rather than a higher spec sportline.

Prior to buying the vRS I was also looking at 1 series BMWs, they do/did a 125i, however hardly any exist and the ones that do are usually 3dr manual.

The reason being that by the time people spec up a auto 5dr, they realise they're in entry level m135i territory and would rather have a base spec m135i, which is why the market is flooded with loads of 3dr manuals.

It'll be the same case for the Octavia.  I bet most sportlines won't be specd up at all, there's just no point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I just ‘built’ my preferred Sportline spec in the configurator - £32.5k!!! Wow, didn’t realise I had such expensive tastes....

when exactly did Octys start to get so expensive? I guess it’s all about affording monthly payments than looking a true total costs, as no one ‘buys’ cars anymore.

7 hours ago, Excision said:

I just ‘built’ my preferred Sportline spec in the configurator - £32.5k!!! Wow, didn’t realise I had such expensive tastes....

when exactly did Octys start to get so expensive? I guess it’s all about affording monthly payments than looking a true total costs, as no one ‘buys’ cars anymore.

People do buy cars. And I'm not quite sure about the implication that buying a car outright costs more because the reality is it costs more to use someone else's money to rent / buy it.

When did Octys start to get so expensive? At the same time all other cars became more expensive.

Who buys an Octavia at that price? There's always some offer on at the dealer and they're only too willing to reduce list, especially at the moment.  As per my above reply, go to any broker and you'll see a massive reduction. I've used DriveTheDeal as an example and they quote £6400 off that list price on a 1.5 DSG Sportline.  All of a sudden a £27000 car becomes a £20600 car.  Personally I still think it expensive but £20600 for a brand new 1.5tsi automatic large estate car is a bargain in todays climate. I'm struggling to think of any other rival that gets near to that.  Would be interesting to see if anyone else can think of one?

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Scot5 said:

People do buy cars. And I'm not quite sure about the implication that buying a car outright costs more because the reality is it costs more to use someone else's money to rent / buy it.

Yep, I for one would never do anything other than buy one outright.

Ultimately, it's cheaper and it also doesn't require a commitment to the future, you're spending money you have rather than money you think you probably will have available.

But I also would never buy a brand new car, there's just too much depreciation at the start.  I'd rather somebody else pays for that.

1 hour ago, Alex-W said:

you're spending money you have rather than money you think you probably will have available.

Not everyone paying monthly for their car is living paycheck to paycheck, borrowing against future earnings.

What if you have the money to pay the monthlies for the full duration, up front? It's still spending money you have, but over 24/36/48 months instead of in one go.

• Like 1

Similar in concept to the SE Sport at the end of the pre FL Octavia 3.

I bought my 1.4 TSI SE Sport pre-registered and get the impression quite a lot of them were sold in this way, perhaps this is the way things will go with the Sportline.

At least the Sportline has THE 2.0 Diesel (Se Sport was just 1.6 Diesel) 

Unfortunately I wont be tempted due to the 1.5TSI debacle. I have lost faith in VAG's motivation or ability to fix this one.

13 minutes ago, Octy0GG said:

Unfortunately I wont be tempted due to the 1.5TSI debacle. I have lost faith in VAG's motivation or ability to fix this one.

There’s a 1.5TSI debacle? What’s that?

E

6 hours ago, Excision said:

There’s a 1.5TSI debacle? What’s that?

E

In short it seems the 1.4 engine has won praise with their owners and the 1.5tsi which takes over from it has been plagued with issues due to ever increasing emissions requirements resulting in some people's cars stalling when moving off. VAG have been slow to overcome this problem with a fix. Some people's opinions are this 1.5 engine is not up to it. Hence the debate. 

3 hours ago, benterrier said:

In short it seems the 1.4 engine has won praise with their owners and the 1.5tsi which takes over from it has been plagued with issues due to ever increasing emissions requirements resulting in some people's cars stalling when moving off. VAG have been slow to overcome this problem with a fix. Some people's opinions are this 1.5 engine is not up to it. Hence the debate. 

It also explains Audi's reluctance to put this engine in the new A3 hatch and estate while they look for a proper software fix. The cars launch will be a year later than planned and will finally be released next year (2020). They know that Audi owners would complain even more than Skoda owners because of course they have paid more money for the same engine.:thumbdown:They are dropping the 3dr hatch and the convertible due to slow sales of the current model.:sadsmile: