Octavia DSG handbrake can fail on a hill

I am not suggesting otherwise, the garage said that the gearbox park function on his car does not lock the wheels = not working to use your words.

7 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

There is no way in hell the transmission parking lock can fail due to wear and tear. It's basically a pin that engages into a gap in one of the gears.

Also how can they tell how the part has failed, without a gearbox strip down to examine the parts? This is just another case or Skoda BS to customers.

Goodwill is their way of reducing their cost to themselves, nothing more.

If a DSG  is parked with the handbrake applied, and the gear selector in park, the strain on the parking lock is minimal. 

Only if you let the handbrake take the strain first before putting it in park

• Like 1

Ignoring the semantics, the functionality to lock the transmission does exist.

Also, in reply to one question above, I ALWAYS use the handbrake and the lock was working when I bought the car.

However, Skoda's refusal to accept it is a warranty repair plus their claim that parts do not exist to repair the gearbox, which must be replaced in toto, are the real issues here.

Plus, if the part (pawl?) that failed cannot be replaced, why is it not a much more robust piece of kit. Retail price of this box is in excess of £4500 plus labour which is a hellova lot for anyone to needing to get the work done out of warranty.

Of all the DQ250 DSG in the world you have one with 'Wear of the pawl', according to Skoda / VW.    (a moving reference.)

Luckily this must be so few and far between that people have not had that concern with 'Out of manufacturers warranties'.

Not on this forum or others world wide it appears if you look at forums where supposedly people only come when they have problems.

Once the DSG is opened it will be seen if 'worn' or 'broken',  my guess is 'broken',  just like your 'Dealership and Skoda UK Customer Services'.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Changeman said:

Ignoring the semantics, the functionality to lock the transmission does exist.

Also, in reply to one question above, I ALWAYS use the handbrake and the lock was working when I bought the car.

However, Skoda's refusal to accept it is a warranty repair plus their claim that parts do not exist to repair the gearbox, which must be replaced in toto, are the real issues here.

Plus, if the part (pawl?) that failed cannot be replaced, why is it not a much more robust piece of kit. Retail price of this box is in excess of £4500 plus labour which is a hellova lot for anyone to needing to get the work done out of warranty.

All very valid points. Indeed it is a 'pawl' that latches onto it's own dedicated toothed gear. they still build these gearboxes so the parts MUST exist.

I wonder if the dealer has even checked the bowden cable that operates the throw lever? The pawl and gear are robust parts, but there is also an interlock spring and hold down sleeve.

• Like 1

Just now, ords said:

As the gear selector is only a switch, is it possible that the circuit that operates the pawl is the problem?  A faulty solenoid perhaps?

No, the park pawl is cable operated.

• Like 2

Skoda / VW Approved Repairers, Factory Trained Technicians, or Fitters, using Genuine Parts with a 2 year warranty on parts and labour.

Nice they can quote, needs a new DSG.   We will charge you full Retail Price plus VAT, and Full Labour costs, and be grateful we are giving you a gesture of a percentage off.

Giving the DSG across to the dealership at Cost Price, then VAT on that really would be a 'Gesture'.

As it is the Warranty Invoices are at inflated costs to Skoda / VW when they cover the cost, other Warranty Underwriters (Insurers) are not that stupid to pay through the nose.

47 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

47 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

Thanks for the info

I might be missing something here. Skoda UK are trying their luck?

Your car is under warranty, something has broken, it should be fixed for free.

Assuming no one has actually opened up the gearbox and properly diagnosed and documented the root cause of the failure, then if Murray Skoda and Skoda UK continue to play silly buggers, take legal advice.

They're probably hoping you're one of the latest generation of snowflakes that simply roll over, accept their word as gospel and pay them the money.

Edited by silver1011
Grammar.
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

I have a skoda octavia 66 plate 1.7 dsg  arrouns 52.000 miles, yesterday i have noticed that when i put my car in P mode and i'm in a little down hill not very incline my car is start rolling and i hear a noise that clicking and after i read couple post here i think the pawl is the problem and from there is the noise i have a booking at skoda dealer to see what is is.Car is still drivable just the P mode don't lock the car as is used to do it.I mention that i always used the hand brake when parking.

5 minutes ago, Sergiu1983 said:

Hello,

I have a skoda octavia 66 plate 1.7 dsg  arrouns 52.000 miles, yesterday i have noticed that when i put my car in P mode and i'm in a little down hill not very incline my car is start rolling and i hear a noise that clicking and after i read couple post here i think the pawl is the problem and from there is the noise i have a booking at skoda dealer to see what is is.Car is still drivable just the P mode don't lock the car as is used to do it.I mention that i always used the hand brake when parking.

Engine is 1.6

3 hours ago, Sergiu1983 said:

Hello,

Same problem as mine.

However, the good news is that Murray Skoda have now agreed to replace the gearbox free of charge. This is only because i have a full Skoda Used Car Warranty.

Result, at last.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that they will do it free of charge.I think my gearbox is different than yours is the one with 7 gears maybe  the pawl could be replaced or maybe is could be the cable i will see when they will diagnostic it.I still have the factory warranty up to november but i had another annoying issue with the gear selector and i had to make like 3 roads to the dealer until they were agree to repair it and i had a gear selector changed under the warranty, so because i know how they take the problem i'm a little anxious until they give me an answer. 

I'm glad for you that you managed to have it repaired for free!

I will post here the result of the diagnostic and their answer!