Swop Yeti?

awfabia

Now I've covered 100,000 miles in six years, I'm pondering what to swop my Yeti for. The easy option would be a Karoq but I'd really like a plug-in hybrid to take advantage of the free 'leccy from my solar panels. 

Any thoughts on Toyota RAV4 as we love the high-up seating position of an SUV? Any other suggestions or ideas? 

Any VAG models in the pipeline which may suit? 

IMG_20170425_092951.jpg

3 hours ago, Brijo said:

Do I remember that pic from way back?  It was the first one I'd seen properly showing off the colour :)

Sorry, don't have recent photos to post.....

1561923983263_P5200542.JPG

• Like 1

....and the battery battery is the old NiMH which is pretty much useless after a mile as far as e range is concerned.

Toyota are desperately tying up with the Chinese battery firm BYD (IIRC) in order to try and catch up in the pure EV market.

10 hours ago, awfabia said:

Sorry, don't have recent photos to post.....

No apology needed, it's a very good photograph - nicely posed Yeti in an unusual setting 👍

@VAGCF

I have driven a BMW 2 series 1.5 225xe PHEV Sport AWD 5 door. Automatic.

That is a Plug in and might be called a SUV. They come in Sport, Sport Premium & Luxury.

Sister car to MINI Mini Countryman 1.5 PHEV 4wd 5 doors in what ever trim.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Hi, sold my 2013 140ps DSG couple of months ago.

Covered 120000 miles in just over 5 years.

Bought a 1.2 TSI DSG. Totally a different beast.

Tried to get dealer to allow me to swap wheels.

Take the old wheels off and put the new (used) wheels on my old car.

Even offered cash, plus I change them myself.

No chance.

I'm looking to buy a set of the Spitzberg wheels. either with or without tyres.

I've got the - 5LO601025  17" on mine.

SO,  any plans to sell your wheels separate???

Or maybe even swap/P-ex with tyres on.

My tyres are 'Michelin Primacy 3'  Covered 19000 miles.

I live West London and am prepared to travel to purchase/swap/p-ex.

Apologies if I'm doing this all wrong.

Edited by thingy
missed out mileage

Karoq - no discount because they can sell all that come into country.

RAV4 hybrid are a year's delay because of battery supply issues.

No other SUV appeals. 

Oh, well no decision yet. 

IMG_20170929_110359.jpg

If you would prefer to stay VAG and could go non electric the Touran should be on your list to view. Prior to Yeti ownership we had one for nearly 10 years. It was the best family car we have owned, big on the inside with a footprint only a little larger than the Yeti [I think the best  car we have owned]

Colin

Subaru have some hybrids coming very soon (eg XV) but I don't think they are plug-ins either.

(ps another Rosso Brunello below)

Yeti June 2019 2.jpg

Edited by Prezafab
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 18:25, thingy said:

....Tried to get dealer to allow me to swap wheels.

Take the old wheels off and put the new (used) wheels on my old car.

Even offered cash, plus I change them myself.

No chance....

Not very friendly.  My dealer (Hughes) didn't even look up from the paperwork at my request to have the hard-won 16" Moons and the spare wheel-plus-kit switched as part of the deal. 

If you are after a hybrid SUV then perhaps the Lexus UX

Probably have to look at nearly new unless you are happy to spend £30k+

(although a top end Karoq could easily be over £30k)

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Seriously, would anyone spend over £30k on a Karoq?  On second thought I suppose someone might - but why????

Again not a plug in hybrid as per

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Again not a plug in hybrid which is what the OP was contemplating. And certainly not a worthy option for a Yeti replacement! Small and shallow (heightwise) boot and restricted rear seat room. Not really an SUV at all. Only thing it has got is unique styling! :x

10 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Seriously, would anyone spend over £30k on a Karoq?  On second thought I suppose someone might - but why????

When thinking about a Karoq before the 1.5 TSI issues became well known I specced up an SE L with a tow bar and a few other extras to match the Yeti and soon got to £33k. which was nearly £10k. more than the Yeti cost me nearly 4 years earlier. I know car prices have gone up in that time but that's still a lot of money for a car of that type. The interior is nice but the exterior is nothing special which is fine for some. Trouble is other similar cars cost the same or more so if that is what you want in a new car then that is what you are going to have to pay or look at Dacia or Vauxhall etc.

I didn't get as far as seeing what discounts were available for the Karoq but got £2.5k. off the Volvo XC40 and whilst the price was still well into the £30k's it's a lot more palatable spending that sort of money on a car like that.

Yep, I was surprised that the Karoq was 10grand more than I spent on my Yeti.  

I'm wary of Peugeot/Vauxhall reliability and longevity, although they are cheaper. 

Wonder if Volvo are still quality now they're Chinese........

Decisions,  decisions......

11 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

When thinking about a Karoq before the 1.5 TSI issues became well known I specced up an SE L with a tow bar and a few other extras to match the Yeti and soon got to £33k. which was nearly £10k. more than the Yeti cost me nearly 4 years earlier. I know car prices have gone up in that time but that's still a lot of money for a car of that type. The interior is nice but the exterior is nothing special which is fine for some. Trouble is other similar cars cost the same or more so if that is what you want in a new car then that is what you are going to have to pay or look at Dacia or Vauxhall etc.

I didn't get as far as seeing what discounts were available for the Karoq but got £2.5k. off the Volvo XC40 and whilst the price was still well into the £30k's it's a lot more palatable spending that sort of money on a car like that.

Exactly what I was thinking, XC40 seems better value in long run.

9 minutes ago, awfabia said:

Yep, I was surprised that the Karoq was 10grand more than I spent on my Yeti.  

I'm wary of Peugeot/Vauxhall reliability and longevity, although they are cheaper. 

Wonder if Volvo are still quality now they're Chinese........

Decisions,  decisions......

Chinese owned but at least built in Belgium, hope that's good!

Qualitywise,  it seems very well built and driving it reminds me of a previous Audi A6 Avant which was lovely so I'm very happy with my move to Volvo.

37 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Chinese owned but at least built in Belgium, hope that's good!

Qualitywise,  it seems very well built and driving it reminds me of a previous Audi A6 Avant which was lovely so I'm very happy with my move to Volvo.

I had a Volvo 480 5 years ago with pop up lights that was built in the Netherlands. It was 20 odd years old and the electrics were a bit tired ! Still sold for a profit though as the rust had been kept at bay. It wasn't an Audi A6 though !

Edited by Prezafab

Awfabia - there is a cracking review in this week's Auto Express of the new - wait for it - MG Plug in EV SUV.

It's £21,500, 0-60 in 8.5 and they were surprisingly complimentary about it - I think they were surprised how good it is - 4 stars.

As long as you don't want to go more than 87mph, and are planning to keep for a few years (ie not resale-worried),  it looks to be a lot of a bargain.

This reminds me a bit of when Hyundai and Kia first started releasing decent, credible models. If you get in early before they ramp the price up by 20-30%...

Also includes a home charger so you can benefit from your solar panels ! :blink:

Edited by Prezafab