Rear brake disc corrosion uneven wear

Is it pretty standard that the rear brake discs aren’t as shiny and more corroded as though the pads have uneven wear. 

This is what mine look like after a good run out today, plenty of downhill braking too along the coastal roads. 

9A40BB26-E7A2-4084-B4E1-47760B8C6446.jpeg

What were they like before you went out?

Downhill braking or proper braking?

Many people sit on the brakes going down hill and end up just polishing and heating, not break-in effectively.

my 2016 car had very badly scored discs and pads (280 combi) with less than 20k miles on them.

its commonly reported for the golf R made around then as well, so I changed the discs and pads for new ones a few months ago.

its an updated part number, and reports from other forums (and from my own observations so far) is that they are not showing any scoring (yet)

Car is 19 months with 14k. Proper braking too, they aren’t cooked and that is how they are all the time recently. I thought the long journey would give them a clean up lol. 

Yes I don’t use any acid based cleaning stuff so the hubs have stayed reasonably tidy :)

2 hours ago, aldouk said:

Car is 19 months with 14k. Proper braking too, they aren’t cooked and that is how they are all the time recently. I thought the long journey would give them a clean up lol. 

Yes I don’t use any acid based cleaning stuff so the hubs have stayed reasonably tidy :)

Nor do I but my hubs look like they sunk with the Titanic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/08/2019 at 22:16, JackySi said:

I replaced mine as they looked really horrible... I also put on Ceramic pads from ATE. What a difference!

IMG_20190630_014554.jpg

That new pad wear looks suspicious too. Do I see grooves appearing in the disk? Are your roads covered in salt/grit from Winter?

3 hours ago, digifish said:

That new pad wear looks suspicious too. Do I see grooves appearing in the disk? Are your roads covered in salt/grit from Winter?

These ATE rotors are made this way, they're not simply straight metal. And no. 

43 minutes ago, JackySi said:

These ATE rotors are made this way, they're not simply straight metal. And no. 

OK now I zoomed your image, I can see its machining. 

Never seen it done in concentric rings before. I suppose it will help the pads to bed (yet) in and (initially) give some stopping power.

Edited by digifish