Rough running after starting

Got an intermittent issue, 1.0 tsi 110hp with 3000 miles on it.

Sometimes, when I start the car it fires straight away but runs very lumpy for a couple of seconds. When it does this, the revs are quite low then it picks up and idles fine. Most of the time it's fine, but now and then it is rough and lumpy. I know it's under warranty but it's only intermittent and wondered if its a common issue? It's not because it's a 3 cylinder, as when the faults there it feels like it's either running on one or two or it's overfuelling hence chocking. 

Barry G, I think I have the same issue. 

I to have the 1.0 110 tsi and 8 out of 10 starts it sounds rough / rattly for between 10 to 25 secs and its fooking me off to be honest 

Went in to be checked at skoda dealer 2 weeks ago and no faults were found but they fobbed me off with some talk about evap / air intake?? 

21 hours ago, Wackoblacko said:

Barry G, I think I have the same issue. 

I to have the 1.0 110 tsi and 8 out of 10 starts it sounds rough / rattly for between 10 to 25 secs and its fooking me off to be honest 

Went in to be checked at skoda dealer 2 weeks ago and no faults were found but they fobbed me off with some talk about evap / air intake?? 

That sound is indeed to do with the air system, I've a 2004 VW that does exactly the same so yours is perfectly fine. 

My Fabia does the same,it sounds like there's a hole in the exhaust and then goes off. My friend commented on it,it was embarrassing. 

my car does this for a solid 45 seconds sometimes ( not always) not really sure what it is, dealers just tell me its fine because theres about 30 sensors for emissions and if ANYTHING was out of spec i'd get a warning light on dash ( they also heard the noises in person) does your car ever take a few more seconds to start tho? like instead of ru ru start like ru ru ru ru start? competely random hot/cold dont matter?

like this (turn sound up)

Also this is the same engine noise as yours listen to defference towards last 10 seconds of video is this the same as you're having?

Edited by seanhan12345

Doesn't sound any different to mine. The 3-cyls do seem to take a bit longer to spring into life from cold. (Wild guess: maybe it's deliberate given the smaller displacement in order to purge the tubes and cylinders?) Idles at 1400 rpm for first 30s or so, drops to 1000 thereafter. (Again no certain idea why -- warming the GPF, perhaps?) Startups from warm (or stop/start cycles) should be more-or-less instantaneous.

Edited by ettlz

My issue isn't the noise, that's normal. I've narrowed it down to hot weather only, it fires up but very low revs and the engine is running extremely lumpy. After a second or two, revs pick up and idle is fine.

On 10/08/2019 at 08:58, BarryG said:

My issue isn't the noise, that's normal. I've narrowed it down to hot weather only, it fires up but very low revs and the engine is running extremely lumpy. After a second or two, revs pick up and idle is fine.

This sounds typical of direct injection diesels when the weather is just hot enough that the glow plugs basically don't cycle.

• Haha 1

Oh i've never had lumpy low rpm, my rpm is high like 1500 for 30 seconds never low/below 900 worth noting i had a 1.0 citigo that was 5 years old and got the cambelt done locally. the garage did it wrong it was off by 1 tooth and it ran under rpm idle every time until he fixed it. but i doubt its that but worth a thought? maybe the variable timing is being weird?

1 hour ago, BarryG said:

Barry, if that's the case it's sounding more like a Throttle Position Sensor issue. Normally these can be reset but it's a dealer thing to carryout the procedure. However, on some engines these cannot be reset and are fixed at the factory. I've never reset one on a Skoda 1.0TSI and I don't know if it's doable. If it's not it means a new Throttle Body. However, if there is no issue with the car other than a wobble and vibration lasting a few seconds or so then no need to do anything about it. Many cars will be the same no doubt and it will be "acceptable" to Skoda. Myself, I'm not happy unless it's 100%.

On 08/08/2019 at 12:19, RickW said:

My Fabia does the same,it sounds like there's a hole in the exhaust and then goes off. My friend commented on it,it was embarrassing. 

That sound is a actually the turbo waste-gate being open, i'm not sure why it's like it, but it seems when the actuator is cold it's a little sticky sometimes.

The 1.2's don't boost at all until 1400 rpm or so, and when cold it's sometimes a little higher, below that they bypass the turbo, normally you won't hear it but sometimes it's a bit too far open when cold and thats when you hear it.

The 1.0's do boost from lower down but but not fully until 1400 ish again, the 1.0s have a much smoother power delivery through the rev range, rather than a sudden surge at 1400 rpm.

Normally the exhaust gasses and noises go through the turbo which acts a bit like a silencer itself, though when the waste-gate is open, it bypasses the turbo entirely, and sounds like you're missing part of the exhaust.

• Thanks 2

Just now, seanhan12345 said:

"but it seems when the actuator is cold it's a little sticky sometimes." does this mean the perm fix could be to oil the mechanism? or something simular

I've never poked around in that area to try, though it could quite easily also be an electrical issue, rather than mechanical, that is causing it.

If it's that concerning, maybe ask the dealer. My car has done it since i got it, it's now got 54k miles on it and not had any issue.

When cold pulling away, sometimes up to 2500 rpm in 1st it's still open and making one hell of a noise, then suddenly it snaps shut and boosts and the car kinda surges.

It'll only do it once though, after that it's maybe a tiny bit and once the engines warmed up eve a little it won't do it at all.

I think it's maybe sometime to do with protecting the turbo and engine when cold at low revs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I've never poked around in that area to try, though it could quite easily also be an electrical issue, rather than mechanical, that is causing it.

If it's that concerning, maybe ask the dealer. My car has done it since i got it, it's now got 54k miles on it and not had any issue.

When cold pulling away, sometimes up to 2500 rpm in 1st it's still open and making one hell of a noise, then suddenly it snaps shut and boosts and the car kinda surges.

It'll only do it once though, after that it's maybe a tiny bit and once the engines warmed up eve a little it won't do it at all.

I think it's maybe sometime to do with protecting the turbo and engine when cold at low revs.

yeah possibly i'll have a look down there to see if theres anything that looks not perfect, but it does give me peace of mind knowing it wassn't just me i thought i bought a dud. or previous owner ****ed the car by not getting it serviced for 19000 miles, (it was on a 20k 2 year interval i don't think should exsist) but now i know its normal im quite happy thank you for telling me you have no idea how much less stress you've caused me. 

other then that does ur car start simular to my video i posted a few threads up? sometimes instant sometimes not? 

3 hours ago, BarryG said:

Barry,  the only other issue to be mindful of (always good to remind folks of this) that on some engine types will cause this, make sure you let the onboard computer fully boot up before you twist the key or press the button to start the car. So key in, switch on, wait a few seconds before twisting the key or pressing the button. This lets the ECU load all the defaults for engine running parameters and check the TPS (throttle position sensor) against actual real time readings. It can produce lumpy running if you don't wait for full boot.

Wastegates can get sticky over time but shouldn't cause undue noise. If the wastegate sticks a little open, it can cause an idle issue as it changes back pressure under some conditions.

Edited by GeneralPurpose
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, seanhan12345 said:

yeah possibly i'll have a look down there to see if theres anything that looks not perfect, but it does give me peace of mind knowing it wassn't just me i thought i bought a dud. or previous owner ****ed the car by not getting it serviced for 19000 miles, (it was on a 20k 2 year interval i don't think should exsist) but now i know its normal im quite happy thank you for telling me you have no idea how much less stress you've caused me. 

other then that does ur car start simular to my video i posted a few threads up? sometimes instant sometimes not? 

Mine's a 1.2, not a 1.0 like yours, but when warm it usually instantly fires up first crank. When cold 1-2 cranks, on rare occasions maybe 3 or 4.

Could be worth checking the battery too? My 1.2 occasionally hangs on high rpms (1250 ish) for 10-15 seconds before dropping back to idle at about 650 rpm, usually after i've not driven it for a few days. Could be trying to warm things up, or maybe put a quick bit of juice back into the battery.

25 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Mine's a 1.2, not a 1.0 like yours, but when warm it usually instantly fires up first crank. When cold 1-2 cranks, on rare occasions maybe 3 or 4.

Could be worth checking the battery too? My 1.2 occasionally hangs on high rpms (1250 ish) for 10-15 seconds before dropping back to idle at about 650 rpm, usually after i've not driven it for a few days. Could be trying to warm things up, or maybe put a quick bit of juice back into the battery.

yeah i've had mine fully checked over twice at skoda got the all clear both times. the starting on mine is completely random ive left it for 3 days once and it started on half a crank like it was doing stop/start hot or cold dossn't seem to be the case its almost like the poition the engine is or something when i turn it off hot or cold dont matter, very odd but i mean its never failed to start so i should probably just use the car and not think much of it

8 hours ago, GeneralPurpose said:

Barry,  the only other issue to be mindful of (always good to remind folks of this) that on some engine types will cause this, make sure you let the onboard computer fully boot up before you twist the key or press the button to start the car. So key in, switch on, wait a few seconds before twisting the key or pressing the button. This lets the ECU load all the defaults for engine running parameters and check the TPS (throttle position sensor) against actual real time readings. It can produce lumpy running if you don't wait for full boot.

Wastegates can get sticky over time but shouldn't cause undue noise. If the wastegate sticks a little open, it can cause an idle issue as it changes back pressure under some conditions.

I do that, every car I've had I wait for the lights to go out 😁