Fancy new Forge air intake for my 2.0tsi vrs 245

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The muffler delete is there to be done when replacing the elbow, reasonable DIY level required.

Did it earlier today and it definitely sounds nicer 😁 and possibly a teeny bit more responsive 👍

EC134A6B-1909-425C-8597-3E92E7020EA4.jpeg

534A0EA8-283C-4CBC-903F-7DE52517F729.jpeg

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Turbulence free air path exiting the turbo.

Larger elbow diameter with smoother airflow from removing the muffler, turbos spin fast, turbulent air puts additional strain on turbo bearings, it's not rocket salad

Don't really buy it. cant see an intake doing much at all unless you are running over 20psi , let alone enough to strain the turbo. If you remove restrictions both ends of the turbo it will spin faster but all that will do is put strain on the oil supply to the bearings.

Even when the actuator fails, locking the wastegate shut and the turbo spins to the max, these latest iterations of the IS20 and IS38 last pretty well against the early versions.

Doesn't get more turbulent than the stock system as that helps mixing and combustion. Turbulent air into the manifold is a good thing on cars with MPI wheras cars with only GDI need mixing in the cylinder. EA888 in UK has both, needs good mixing everywhere.

When we used to work heads we often found smoothing airflow didn't work, we needed to rough up what we smoothed, mixed better, burnt fuel better, produced more power,

Its not rocket salad but you'd be surprised at how much there is to it.

• Like 3

On 15/08/2019 at 22:29, flybynite said:

. If you remove restrictions both ends of the turbo it will spin faster but all that will do is put strain on the oil supply to the bearings.

This I didn't consider. Good shout.

On 15/08/2019 at 22:29, flybynite said:

Doesn't get more turbulent than the stock system as that helps mixing and combustion. Turbulent air into the manifold is a good thing on cars with MPI wheras cars with only GDI need mixing in the cylinder. EA888 in UK has both, needs good mixing everywhere.

When we used to work heads we often found smoothing airflow didn't work, we needed to rough up what we smoothed, mixed better, burnt fuel better, produced more power,

Are we not talking about smoothing out the flow through the compressor? Shirley larger and less turbulent is better at that point of the process. Then introduce the lumpy air around the point of adding fuel to do mixing duties.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Shirley larger and less turbulent is better at that point of the process. Then introduce the lumpy air around the point of adding fuel to do mixing duties.

In an ideal world yes, but I think VW would have tried to do that as well can be done.

8 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Are we not talking about smoothing out the flow through the compressor?

Look at how close the turbo compressor outlet is to the GDI manifold, if you know a way of changing the state of turbulence in that short a time then I think the people who make the intakes/bends etc, and for that matter VW will be interested in your ideas :biggrin:

In simple terms you need to open up the hole all the way through to increase flow. Opening it up in one place is as bad as restricting it and can actually slow down the flow. You see it on N/A BMW engines where often making bigger holes in the intake or exhaust decreases power. It is pretty well done from the factory.

FWIW I don't believe the couple of bolt-ons will change the air turbulence much form what has been designed as standard.

I agree you need to do the improvements all the way through to see any significant benefit, otherwise you may as well just increase the boost and fuelling, but it is not going to stress the turbo bearings if you don't

• 4 weeks later...

Evening gents ,

Since Iv fitted these parts Iv noticed it has created a really annoying metallic reverberation between 1k and 2k revs and the other thing is it’s more apparent when in sport mode 🤦‍♂️,

initially I thought it was the plastic dash shaking but I’m leaning towards the tin heat shield in the engine bay 🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else experienced this or has a solution please ,....I still absolutely love the thing though lol 

2 minutes ago, Willgeenty said:

Evening gents ,

Since Iv fitted these parts Iv noticed it has created a really annoying metallic reverberation between 1k and 2k revs and the other thing is it’s more apparent when in sport mode 🤦‍♂️,

initially I thought it was the plastic dash shaking but I’m leaning towards the tin heat shield in the engine bay 🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else experienced this or has a solution please ,....I still absolutely love the thing though lol 

Have you checked that all fastenings are tight and secure?:thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Willgeenty said:

That’s a very good point apart from just giving all’s the new bits a shake I haven’t to be honest actually checking the bolts and screws are tight but I will tomorrow morning first thing 👍

I have a similar metal heatshield for my foam air filter and can't say I've heard any strange noises between 1,000-2,000rpm.:thinking:

42 minutes ago, Willgeenty said:

Evening gents ,

No rattle on mine, I get a funny worble between 2-1/2 & 3-1/2k rev, then when driving with the windows down, I found it was wheel spin

• Haha 1

I couldn’t wait till the morning lol so I went out with the trusty head torch and my ratchet set to check and the screw that locks the carbon airtake to the grill was lose not a huge amount but I could lift the front up from the grill by about 5 mm , everything else is tight ,..

tool it out for a quick spin and it seems to of gone 🤞this is it 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1