Buyer beware....

Skodaniel

I sold my navara today, after 6 months of use and repairs it was perfect and ready to go. Buyer came, had a good look around, checked oil, listened to the engine, checked under and over, we discussed all good and bad points. Test drove small and dual carriageway roads and he was happy with it all. He bought it, drove to it 2 hours back and the engine seized, he said. I'm gutted for him, it showed no signs of tapping knocks or anything. I know he drove it hard as he spun the wheels leaving my yard and I followed them as I was going out anyway, was going quite quick.  Anyway, he rang and told me... Seemed upset more than angry. Obviously he's just spent 4k and its probably buggered, I don't feel it's my fault or his but where do we stand on this. Is the term buyer beware relevant, legally I think he's bought it and it's his responsibility, morally I'm gutted for him but I can't afford this or help. Any help or ideas? 

Dan 

Assuming you are not a Trade Dealer then unfortunately in a private sale if you think you are getting a bargain with no warranty then it is buyer beware. Everyone that buys a car privately rolls the lady luck dice and it either pays off or you pay out.:whew:

No it was a private sale. He wrote off his other car two weeks prior, him and his dad came to view it. Hand on heart I genuinely didn't think any thing would happen. It literally seemed perfect. Now he's stuck with an expensive paper weight. I was selling that and my Octy to make way for a lease vehicle

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

Buyer beware applies.

Out of interest did you buy it to carry out repairs then sell for a profit and what were the repairs it had done in 6 months, and how many miles did you do with it in the last month?

Absolutely not. I bought it cause I really wanted one. Had full service history and 12 months mot. The turbo blew the first month and the dealer repaired that for free. They replaced it with the cheapest **** turbo they could get, and did it badly with silicone. Then I had the chassis inspected and it failed so it went to Spain for three months to be repaired. (look up navara snapped chassis if you haven't already heard about them) 

Then it delevoled a fault, turned out to be the turbo again so I went to best turbos and had it done properly. So I spent over a grand, lost a grand and half on the sale so was 2.5k down. Def no profit there. Its done 3 thousand miles since december

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

You are brave sharing this story on here. Next your Octavia will be on here with a one careful owner description.:bandit:

Just you wait to see... Probably 4 owners but it will be on Facebook soon. Incedently I don't want to sell that, it's awesome and has only needed a sensor in the last two years. Company car means all must go, including the motorbike.. But that's another forum 

Just now, Roottootemoot said:

So it had the common issues which is why they are cheap, and the recent buyer should have been more on the ball.

He was on the ball, as the first post he went over it all. He had one two weeks prior but crashed it. Me or him saw no reason why it would have gone wrong. I had spent weeks sorting it out ready for sale... Not ready for disaster 

• Like 1

Honestly, it sounds like he ragged it to death in the 2 hrs he had it. Did he spill the beans how he crashed and wrote off the previous one? Was there an internal engine fault? Who knows. Did he leave in a cloud of smoke and melted rubber, and drive it hard up the road post purchase? Yup.. so did he manage to wreck it in under 2hrs... yup. He and his dad inspected and test drove it and were satisfied. Its up to him unfortunately...

31 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

He could use the engine from the first one he crashed for the seized engine in the second.......

Hope so. He said he sneezed and went into a Bush. Which had a concrete bollard in so probably wrecked the engine

52 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

& now the Registered Keeper and Insured before driving off with it i hope.

Yep

He sneezed and went into a bush........

It must've been a seriously sinus destroying "sneeze"

Wonder did he report it to cops and what they made of the story...

3 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

He sneezed and went into a bush........

It must've been a seriously sinus destroying "sneeze"

Wonder did he report it to cops and what they made of the story...

Perhaps he made an insurance claim based upon strong breeze emanating from the nasal tract causing temporary loss of control leading to total loss of vehicle. Must be in the terms and conditions of the Policy somewhere.:blush

9 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps he made an insurance claim based upon strong breeze emanating from the nasal tract causing temporary loss of control leading to total loss of vehicle. Must be in the terms and conditions of the Policy somewhere.:blush

Have you used this before hahaha 

Is two hours long enough for him to get home, engine swap from his write off and then claim foul with you? 🤔:biggrin:

This is a tough one; morally I think you want to do the right thing but I agree with the above, 'sold as seen' and private purchase 'rules'.  He inspected it, test drove it, he had the chance to walk away and he still purchased the car.  Once section 9 of the V5 has been filled in then it's tough titty.  The guy sounds like he has the zero mechanical sympathy; speak to him more and find out if he's been unlucky with clutches in the past and seen a lot of accidents in his rear view mirror....

I spoke with his dad on Friday afternoon. Said I followed you both for a couple of miles and your son drove it hard, wheelspinning etc. He denied it. 

His dad, has asked that I contribute 500 pounds to the 2k rebuild bill. I said I would talk to the wife and if you send me a video on whatapp for Facebook messenger so I can hear/see the noise. He said he would on Saturday morning. Sunday evening and still nothing... I did contemplate helping him out, I've already lost 2 and a half grand, but I'm ****ed off now. God know what he's doing to the engine etc or the other navara possibly swapping bits about. So I feel less inclined to help at all 

Edited by Skodaniel
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Skodaniel said:

I spoke with his dad on Friday afternoon. Said I followed you both for a couple of miles and your son drove it hard, wheelspinning etc. He denied it. 

His dad, has asked that I contribute 500 pounds to the 2k rebuild bill. I said I would talk to the wife and if you send me a video on whatapp for Facebook messenger so I can hear/see the noise. He said he would on Saturday morning. Sunday evening and still nothing... I did contemplate helping him out, I've already lost 2 and a half grand, but I'm ****ed off now. God know what he's doing to the engine etc or the other navara possibly swapping bits about. So I feel less inclined to help at all 

They didn't have Irish accents and tow caravans around the country by any chance. They might be trying to scam you for £500 when there is actually nothing wrong with the Navara. Best ignore any more contact from them.:thumbdown:

• Like 1