rear wiper

Squrcle

Hi Iam new to the forum  i have a 2016 skoda yeti outdoor elegance 170 tdi  the rear wiper wipes intermittently when wiper switch is in position continuous 1 or 2 but not in rain sensor position? it sweeps once for every 21 sweeps of the front wiper but not in rain sensor position the activation is set in the display between speedo and rev counter  and that works turning intermittent on or off in the continuous  position 

Can this be coded in with vag com? if so does ayone know the codes cheers Sam

I keep my light and wiper switches set for automatic operation and, on no better authority than my memory, I think my rear wiper is only activated when it's raining AND I select reverse gear. I'll be interested to see what the experts say, the 1 in 22 sweeps sounds feasible but it's not something I've ever noticed.

24 minutes ago, Squrcle said:

i have a 2016 skoda yeti outdoor elegance 170 tdi

That car must have been standing for a while before being registered as it was discontinued in May 2015.
The rear wiper does go into intermittent mode in auto when the wipers go to faster speed in heavy rain.

36 minutes ago, Squrcle said:

Hi Iam new to the forum  i have a 2016 skoda yeti outdoor elegance 170 tdi  the rear wiper wipes intermittently when wiper switch is in position continuous 1 or 2 but not in rain sensor position? it sweeps once for every 21 sweeps of the front wiper but not in rain sensor position the activation is set in the display between speedo and rev counter  and that works turning intermittent on or off in the continuous  position 

Can this be coded in with vag com? if so does ayone know the codes cheers Sam

Your wipers are working as designed and as far as I know it cannot be altered, even with VCDS.

I find that even in the rain sensor position, if the front wipers are on continuously then the rear wiper works with the normal intermittent wipe. 
And is it that difficult to knock the arm into the rear wipe position occasionally?

Edited by Llanigraham

3 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Your wipers are working as designed and as far as I know it cannot be altered, even with VCDS.

I find that even in the rain sensor position, if the front wipers are on continuously then the rear wiper works with the normal intermittent wipe. 
And is it that difficult to knock the arm into the rear wipe position occasionally?

I agree with all three points above.

Hi Again 

Thanks for all the replies!  I joined this forum as a Skoda owner and proud to be one. I have an issue that i wanted to resolve and thought of no better way than to put it out there with like minded proud  skoda owners.

My rear wiper only sweeps once with the switch set in continuous position 1 or 2  THATS WHY I have asked for help IT DOESNT WORK IN THE RAIN SENSOR POSITION I have asked a garage who said that they will code it for me if I can find the codes (hence the question asking for codes)

Instead of a reply to the actual question about coding the rear wiper I have comments about the car standing for a while before it was registered!! how does that help? and is it that difficult to knock the arm in to rear wipe occasionally?  I have been doing that BUT as the handbook states it should do it in rain sensor mode it would be good if it did hence the post and request for help.

If this forum is more about criticism than help then this will be my first and last post thanks again! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Squrcle said:

Instead of a reply to the actual question about coding the rear wiper I have comments about the car standing for a while before it was registered!!

If you cannot take someone saying that the car was not as you described it then you are not going to be very good at taking others suggestions.
Who was right you or me in describing the age of the car, it does matter as some workings of the car changed over the years, certainly the Elegance was not produced after April 2015.

You can turn the rear wiper on intermittent mode by pushing the stalk forward or it will come on in auto when the rain is heavy enough to activate the wipers in the higher of their two speeds.

I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings.

Hi As I have already said  the rear wiper only works intermittently with the stalk in position 1 or 2 on continuous doing the courtesy sweep after 20 or so front sweeps it works fine in rear wiper intermittent  BUT as the hand book says it should do a courtesy sweep every 20 or so in rain sensor position and it isn't  i have turned it on and off in the display between the rev counter and speedo that actually works because in the off setting the rear wiper doesn't courtesy sweep every 20 or so front wipes whilst in the continuous position

I can manually activate the rear wipe not an issue! but nice to have things that are as described in the handbook and as wipers are usually on AUTO setting it would be convenient to have the intermittent facility! 

As far as the year of the car not an issue  (i was more focused on sorting the rear wiper than the age of the car!) it was registered in June 2016 standing a while?? who knows but apart from this wiper issue what a good car!! its my 3 rd yeti and have loved the first and 3rd second L&K was a bit of a pig with an extremely noisy sunroof more rattles and squeaks than you could tolerate especially on a warm day!!!!!! but that's another story 

My handbook says "When the rain sensor is active (the lever is in the position 1 ) the function is only active if the front window wipers continue to operate (no break between each wiping process)."

I take that to mean what Llanigraham has already said and as I agreed with earlier ~ because that is what happens in my Yeti of that vintage.

3 hours ago, Squrcle said:

Hi As I have already said  the rear wiper only works intermittently with the stalk in position 1 or 2 on continuous doing the courtesy sweep after 20 or so front sweeps it works fine in rear wiper intermittent  BUT as the hand book says it should do a courtesy sweep every 20 or so in rain sensor position and it isn't  i have turned it on and off in the display between the rev counter and speedo that actually works because in the off setting the rear wiper doesn't courtesy sweep every 20 or so front wipes whilst in the continuous position

I can manually activate the rear wipe not an issue! but nice to have things that are as described in the handbook and as wipers are usually on AUTO setting it would be convenient to have the intermittent facility! 

As far as the year of the car not an issue  (i was more focused on sorting the rear wiper than the age of the car!) it was registered in June 2016 standing a while?? who knows but apart from this wiper issue what a good car!! its my 3 rd yeti and have loved the first and 3rd second L&K was a bit of a pig with an extremely noisy sunroof more rattles and squeaks than you could tolerate especially on a warm day!!!!!! but that's another story 

Having owned Yeti's for over 7 years perhaps I know a bit more about them than you do.
Take it from me that with the wiper switch in the AUTO position the rear wiper will ONLY wipe the window when the front wipers are working continuously. It will NOT work when they are working intermittently.
Many here will tell you, the Handbook is not always totally correct, probably due to very poor translation from the original Czech.
As far as I can see you car is behaving normally.

And so that you know, the display between the speedo and rev counter is called the Maxidot display.

Welcome Sam,

As above, the translation of the Handbook from Czech to English leaves much to be desired.  To add to the confusion, the Handbook covers every model of Yeti (S, SE, SEL, L&K etc.) with every possible option - whether standard fit or not.  I can well remember my attempts to coax the self-folding mirrors on mine into action, only to discover they weren't fitted in the first place!

On 17/08/2019 at 10:43, Squrcle said:

Hi Again 

Thanks for all the replies!  I joined this forum as a Skoda owner and proud to be one. I have an issue that i wanted to resolve and thought of no better way than to put it out there with like minded proud  skoda owners.

My rear wiper only sweeps once with the switch set in continuous position 1 or 2  THATS WHY I have asked for help IT DOESNT WORK IN THE RAIN SENSOR POSITION I have asked a garage who said that they will code it for me if I can find the codes (hence the question asking for codes)

Instead of a reply to the actual question about coding the rear wiper I have comments about the car standing for a while before it was registered!! how does that help? and is it that difficult to knock the arm in to rear wipe occasionally?  I have been doing that BUT as the handbook states it should do it in rain sensor mode it would be good if it did hence the post and request for help.

If this forum is more about criticism than help then this will be my first and last post thanks again! 

On mine, in auto position, if the rain is bad enough to keep the wipers working all the time, my rear wiper cuts in intermittently as it does with the wipers in position 1 or 2.

• Like 3