Code Reader Recommendations

Jay89

Hi All,

My other half has a 2003 Fabia 1.2

She has a reoccurring EML come up on the dash. I recently borrowed a neighbours code reader and cleared the code (normally I just let it go out itself). However since it's coming on more and more frequently I bought a slightly newer code reader for myself and it won't work due to the fabia not being CAN-BUS.

What are your recommendations for a code reader(wired preferred) to clear the code on her car?

Yes, I do think it's the same code over and over, yes i have the part to replace it, no I'm not looking forward to doing it as it's the EGR.

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's mine it's been lost in the post RM are unhelpful because I didn't post it and giving the seller the shrug shoulder technique. What about this thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTOOL-VAG401-OBD2-Scan-Tool-Scanner-for-VAG-VW-and-Audi-ABS-Airbag-Oil-Reset-UK/233305329360?epid=1180553648&hash=item365214ced0:g:jLwAAOSwzLZdOXpq

Hello Everyone, 

For some reason the emails for post responses had been ending up in my junk folder so sorry for not jumping on here sooner.

Prior to me throwing more money at something that doesn't work, can anyone confirm their reader works with the early mk1 fabia? 

So far I've bought 2 bluetooth versions and one wired and I'll be damned if I'm spending more money on something that won't work.

I would have bought one like my neighbour has but that is an unmarked unit that wouldn't look out of place on the Titanic. 

Thanks in advance.

On 10/09/2019 at 09:08, TMB said:

The VS450 works fine on my 2003 Fabia.

Hi, would it also work on an Octavia 3.

The product description mentions a few protocols it is compatible with

Supported protocols:
ISO 9141-2 (CARB)
ISO 14230 (KWP-2000)
ISO-15765 (CAN)

1 minute ago, bmbmdmb said:

Supported protocols:
ISO 9141-2 (CARB)
ISO 14230 (KWP-2000)
ISO-15765 (CAN)

I honestly don't know. Sorry.

58 minutes ago, bmbmdmb said:

Supported protocols:
ISO 9141-2 (CARB)
ISO 14230 (KWP-2000)
ISO-15765 (CAN)

I use a Carista Bluetooth code reader on my MK3, also used it on my MK2 Octavia and Superb. It doesn’t seem to do the whole works on out MK1 Fabia though so shall get one of the cheaper ones recommended above 

Thanks. Would the vs450, although I know it states it is for VAG,  do a engine / generic code read and clear of other manufacturers codes (probably not the VAG specific codes)? I have 2 Skoda's , but other family and friends have other non-VAG cars. 

There are so many code readers and I could do with a generic one.

40 minutes ago, bmbmdmb said:

Thanks. Would the vs450, although I know it states it is for VAG,  do a engine / generic code read and clear of other manufacturers codes (probably not the VAG specific codes)? I have 2 Skoda's , but other family and friends have other non-VAG cars. 

There are so many code readers and I could do with a generic one.

The VS450 works well on my 06 Fabia, it also detected an EGR fault on my mates transit. If your not going to be coding etc it's half the price of a garage scan and it's yours forever!