Coolant Issues

Jb7lr

If you let a thread go long enough everything ends up as a head gasket. 

However don’t bank on a chemical test being conclusive. If you get a positive fair enough, but if you get an all clear it’s not guaranteed due to the nature of the gas getting into the cooling system. 

Edited by Tech1e
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tech1e said:

However don’t bank on a chemical test being conclusive. If you get a positive fair enough, but if you get an all clear it’s not guaranteed

Seriously read this and instantly thought of a pregnancy test 😂

• Haha 1

Chemical leak test done no colour change not sure this is an entirely reliable test but has shown positive on a land rover when I tested it once 

Replaced the cooolant cap was still losing coolant, I got another one from garage that apparently is off an octavia black in colour and now not losing any coolant? Seems v strange 

Although I occasionally get a slight amount of white smoke on startup, 

Just read this thread,it's getting longer by the day.

Had my vrs tdi checked at a recommended independent garage,they carried out a chemical test on the coolant water and it showed a positive on combustion gasses.

This suspected head gasket failure is noted in my project thread,unfortunately my son didn't realise that stronger head bolts were a good idea before boosting the engines power.

So it's off with its head so to speak,replaced  with stronger head bolts and an appropriate genuine Skoda gasket and possibly a truing of the head if it has warped.