Illuminate Door Sill Replacements

Good Evening, 

I've stumbled across these on offer at SuperSkoda and I think they look great tbh  (everyone has their own tastes 😛 )

How would you get power to these ?

I take that it would be a door panel off job ?  (probably beyond my knowledge)

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-luxury-stainless-steel-interior-door-sills-with-BACKLIGHT-original-Skoda-Autoas

My L&K ones are really scuffed up and as I've now decided I am not selling my car anymore , I wanna do the little things I've always wanted, just to keep my CAS and OCD in check :)

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

We have similar on our Leaf and they are powered by the footwell lights. 

Wire down the sill door seal and pick the power up from the light itself?

Maybe an option, I actually thought they may connect into the door lights or mirror puddle light ......

Might email Superskoda to confirm how to install, they are super helpful folk :) 

I do like them though..!!!!

Problem with footwell lights is that they r still illuminated, albeit dimmer, with doors closed while driving.

Ideally u tap into the door warning light, as that turns fully off once the door is closed.

However this is a door trim panel off job 😞

I've been eyeing these sills for a while, and superskoda have a 70% discount at the moment - so tempting to buy it!!!

but removing the front door trim panel is putting me off.

I recently took off the rear door trim panel, and I did not enjoy doing that!!

3 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Problem with footwell lights is that they r still illuminated, albeit dimmer, with doors closed while driving.

Ideally u tap into the door warning light, as that turns fully off once the door is closed.

However this is a door trim panel off job 😞

I've been eyeing these sills for a while, and superskoda have a 70% discount at the moment - so tempting to buy it!!!

but removing the front door trim panel is putting me off.

I recently took off the rear door trim panel, and I did not enjoy doing that!!

This is my predicament...... they around £85 atm for them as they are on offer

Tempted to buy and worry about install later....

• 8 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting a top from last year, but did anyone buy these, and if so, how did the fitting go?

I've just ordered some but I noticed in the product photos they have a plug module on the wires so I assume these connect to part of a wiring loom somewhere?

According to their installation instructions - u need to wire it under the rear seats, and connect it to some module to the left of the footwell.

It's a lot of effort, removing all the trim and rear seat bases!!

I've done other retrofit, but I'm not keen on all this 😞

Screenshot_20200523-164720.thumb.png.42234d1a89a1a00f14593734e0f4ace4.png

Screenshot_20200523-164751.thumb.png.42454685343176e64fed455770364586.png

Screenshot_20200523-164758.thumb.png.19bc1481ad28efe95849c20efbc2b846.png

Screenshot_20200523-164729.thumb.png.517924c03c50b9f82e2d335e5131e786.png

Screenshot_20200523-164914.thumb.png.c9e0bbd8932e7a2c4755fe6e52bcbcf6.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ItHurtsWhenIP said:

Thank you. I was trying to find the install guide online. I’ve already ordered them but I think I will get my mechanic friend to tackle this one. 

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

Another option I found is to wire up the A-pillar and connect to the dome lights.

Connecting to footwell lights is no good cause they remain illuminated (dimmed) while driving.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 12:59, JR RS said:

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

Another option I found is to wire up the A-pillar and connect to the dome lights.

Connecting to footwell lights is no good cause they remain illuminated (dimmed) while driving.

I managed to get a friend to do the install... it was all going very well until the instruction step 15 where the wiring into the BCM starts which resulted in a lot of swearing, loads of brews and that great British not to be defeated attitude of not letting it get the better of us (well, him).

Removing the trim and rear seat was very easy, the hardest part was removing the wires from BCM module C, we just couldn't do it, so in the end we decided to split into the 2 wires, not ideal but it was better than wrecking the module. The BCM is very awkward to get to as well, especially if you have fat chubby North West England hands.

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

• Like 3

We removed the originals using a very firm plastic scraper, we managed to get it under the edge and then slowLy work it. My friend removed the left over sticky stuff with some sort of gunk remover type stuff.

i was hoping to film/photograph the process but we decided to do it late evening and the heavens decided to open with rain so we just tried to work as fast as we could.

if I was to do it again I probably wouldn’t... unless you’re capable of removing wires from modules.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Fitted mine today - more of an ordeal than I thought, but in for a penny....

Rear Seat out - Not to bad really. Trim removed or lifted enough to get the new cable in. 

First thing I tackled was the wiring to the BCM as I though no point running in cable etc and then not be able to wire it in for some reason, so I tackled the wiring first.

It is tricky. You'd want some experience of working with electrical connections in a car, harness's etc. as it isn't explained in great detail in the instructions so a certain amount of know how is presumed I guess.

BCM located on passenger side. Remove the trim in the left foot panel (1st Pic)  but dont attempt to unplug the Connection C from the BCM from here. 

Instead remove the cover on the door side of the dash - (Pic 2) 

Now you need to disconnect the connection nearest too you, that will be Connection C - (Pic 3)

Dangle it down into the footwell - (you can see it in Pic 1)

Now you need to slide the connectors out of their harness (Pic 4) Here you can see the Harness on the floor and the connections in white.

Next remove the two wires as described in the directions using a Terminal Wire Remover (Pic 5) The first wire was OK, the second wire was smaller and a bit more difficult to work free. 

I removed one wire first and then inserted it into the new connector provided before removing the second wire, that way I was minimising the chances of them touching when out. 

That was pretty much it when it came to wiring - So you'd need a little bit of know how about unplugging connections. I know this sounds simple, you just unplug them right? Well yes and no. They will be held in by a locking tab, so you need to release that first. In this case just pull back on the white tab in Pic 3 and it will also slide the plug out at the same time. Make sure to click this up fully when plugging back in. If this is unfamiliar to you this job might be a bit much. 

Also I wouldn't attempt unless you have Terminal Wire Removal tool - they are cheap as anything but you may need to order online somewhere. 

Everything else is a matter of removing trim and running cable. No big deal. And then placing and sticking the actual sills. Again not really any drama. 

Pic1.jpeg

Pic2.png

Pic3.jpeg

Pic4.jpeg

Pic 5.jpeg

0BE3B430-76C8-4A5E-BF17-A78B6B723BC3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...