Steering wheel

BarryG

My colour edition has Skodas plastic steering wheel, it's a nice shape but quite bland. Is there anything you can buy to dress it up a bit? I found something online for a plastic octavia wheel of  the same era, 2019. Are the steering wheels the same size?

Think I would be inclined to try and find a Leather wheel and swap, but make sure the airbag is the same shape. Or, not sure how about a leather sleeve that you sew on?

Well, I'd been going to suggest a leather wheel glove too. Not only does it look better, but it feels better in your hands (not just than plastic, but than that horrible gloss leather that manufacturers usually use), and it gives you a more comfortable rim temperature in cold or very hot conditions.

I had a wheel glove on my first Citigo, it just didn't look right. I went in to buy an SE but non available whilst dealers offer was on. I went to walk out, they showed me the green snot car and I fell for it! When I got mine, only cars left were stock items as no factory orders. A mate tried another dealer for an SEL, he ended up with a colour edition too.

Comes down to personal choice,sorry - but I am not a fan of lace on steering wheel gloves.There can be times when fingers catch in the lacing if you feed the wheel through your hands ,assuming you drive that way.Not likely with a factory fitted leather covering.No lacing exposed.

Lacing can come loose if not checked periodically.Much prefer the direct feel of the wheel in my hands -matt finish on Citigo. I do drive in leather gloves in the winter -when I have to - mainly due to cold hands syndrome.A sunshade on the screen when parked usually prevents a hot  wheel and seat  in the summer.......

Used to have an MG Midget years back  with a factory leather wheel - not worth the expense for me now.

Edited by Blackcountryman

The leather wheel - as per my own SE-L - is nice, but on a bargain basement city car, it is a bit of a 'first-world' problem....

I would guess that a hunt around the internet to find some breakers might produce a result though :)

Edited by freemansteve
spelling & grammar

I got a stitch-on leather wheel cover for my old mk1 octy as the wheel was badly worn. Big spool of high tensile yarn and a darning needle included. Literally slipped it on and then stitch the two seams together,in between the spokes etc and it was rock solid, looked decent, and being sewn rather than laced, it never loosened sagged, slipped or caught in anything..

• Like 1

There are companies that do professional re-trimming on steering wheels, including upgrades from basic plastic to leather covered. One place gets a lot of recommendations on "Pistonheads" forums:

https://royalsteeringwheels.com/

I've not used them myself, but this thread has got me thinking about it...