MK III Tax prices?

S41NT

Hi,

Looking at upgrading from a MK II CR TDi manual to a MK III VRS (possibly DSG). Originally was after a DSG Petrol. However i've seen some of the 184BHP manual diesel models advertised as £30 tax and some as £145, is there a subtle difference in engines?

Also Petrol DSG vs Diesel DSG, any issues or ones to steer clear of?

TIA

27 minutes ago, S41NT said:

Hi,

Looking at upgrading from a MK II CR TDi manual to a MK III VRS (possibly DSG). Originally was after a DSG Petrol. However i've seen some of the 184BHP manual diesel models advertised as £30 tax and some as £145, is there a subtle difference in engines?

Also Petrol DSG vs Diesel DSG, any issues or ones to steer clear of?

TIA

The difference in tax depends on date of registration

In blunt terms Government decided £30 didn’t generate enough tax so increased it for cars first registered from 1st April 2017

All diesels can be iffy if do too many short journeys without ever getting fully warmed as filters clog.

The DSG on cars less than 2 litre is dry type that has been problematic in past, the DSG on more powerful wet clutch versions needs fluids changed at intervals, otherwise is troublesome 

Good idea to swap tyres front-back around 14k miles to even the wear

• Like 1

Yeah, as above, the government saw sense and now just tax cars fairly across the board.   

Although, tbh, all Octavias are going to be dirt cheap anyway, they don't make any that are that high.  Mine is only £160 I think, peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

The difference in tax depends on date of registration

In blunt terms Government decided £30 didn’t generate enough tax so increased it for cars first registered from 1st April 2017

All diesels can be iffy if do too many short journeys without ever getting fully warmed as filters clog.

The DSG on cars less than 2 litre is dry type that has been problematic in past, the DSG on more powerful wet clutch versions needs fluids changed at intervals, otherwise is troublesome 

Good idea to swap tyres front-back around 14k miles to even the wear

Can you expand on why the wet DSG is troublesome?   I was not aware of any major issues with it?  I have had the DSG in an 18 plate Golf R (7 speed) and the wet DSG in the Octy neither have been a problem, in fact i think they are great.

49 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

Can you expand on why the wet DSG is troublesome?   I was not aware of any major issues with it?  I have had the DSG in an 18 plate Golf R (7 speed) and the wet DSG in the Octy neither have been a problem, in fact i think they are great.

I think a word is missed and it should read that the wet dsg is NOT troublesome,as long as the fluid is changed per the service schedule.

• Like 1