Mystery warning light

BB78

23 minutes ago, Wino said:

If there's a big empty car park you could drive around, try this.  Drive in a big anticlockwise circle for a while, and see if the fault lights go out. Then try driving in a clockwise circle and see if they come on. 

Repeat both to see if it seems consistent (or does the opposite if my theory is pants).

I'm thinking that clockwise turns will tend to pull the offside rear wheel outward on its bearing, maximising the distance from sensor to magnetic pickup.  Anticlockwise will push the wheel inward, toward the sensor.

It’s not that big just a small parking area but I do need to go out, trying to think if there’s anywhere with space where I can  do this other than a car park tonight once somewhere is closed. Top of the road is a roundabout I can go round that a few times for clockwise turns, doesn’t help for anti-clockwise though.

Edited by BB78
Extra info

Just remembered someone side swiped me on New Years Eve and that would’ve been right rear, would that have been enough to knock something out of alignment? They switched lane on a roundabout whilst I was still in the lane and caught the back end of my car, got some lovely scratches in my paintwork but they didn’t stop just drove off.

18 minutes ago, BB78 said:

someone side swiped me on New Years Eve and that would’ve been right rear, would that have been enough to knock something out of alignment?

Yes, that could, not would, have been enough to bend the rear torsion beam and/or the ABS rotor disc.

You now need to find a place that has and knows how to use, a Hunter alignment rig to prove or disprove the beam. I think Micheldever Tyres may be near you, but if possible go mid-week.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I think Micheldever Tyres may be near you, but if possible go mid-week.

Cant say I’ve ever heard of them, I’m near Gatwick Airport.

2 minutes ago, BB78 said:

Cant say I’ve ever heard of them, I’m near Gatwick Airport.

I don't know the area myself, but my work colleagues from Farnborough all recommend Micheldever. They'll be way nearer you than anywhere I've used myself is.

Is that a company name MichelDever or should I Google the hunter alignment rig? Anything tyres is just giving me local tyre companies F1 Autocentre being the top result.

4 minutes ago, BB78 said:

Is that a company name MichelDever or should I Google the hunter alignment rig? Anything tyres is just giving me local tyre companies F1 Autocentre being the top result.

"Micheldever Tyres" is the actual company name. Try a map application rather than Google.

I will be returning to the Gatwick area with my VCDS in a week or two's time if that will be of any help to you?

I could check the alternator wire that is being spoken of and cast an eye over the rear wheel sensor, I will be there working on my Yeti anyway so the jack & stands etc will already be out.

PM me with the name of the garage if you dont want to post it publicly.

Edited by J.R.
  • Thanks 1