Opinions on Superb 1.5 DSG

Just wondering if anybody out there with a Superb 1.5 petrol DSG would mind sharing their thoughts and opinions on the car - good or bad.

The reason for the request is that we need to replace our Motability car and the Superb is the only "family hatchback" available, so any info on reliability, running costs, comfort etc. would be a great help.

@geordiebloke

Are you staying with Motability to get this Superb?

& is your order in?

They are not on the new list out for this quarter today.

Sometimes there are errors, or later on in the quarter models can become available.

This happened last quarter with some manufacturers.

Thare are various models from manufacturers missing today.

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 21.22.27.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Hello, `Geordie`.

I've had mine for just over 2 months from new.

I've had over 30 cars over the years and my Skoda is the second best of all. (The best being a V8 Jag XJ)

The Skoda is smooth, comfortable, spacious and in 1.5 format...very frugal.

I have also found it to be plenty powerful (for me anyway) and the DSG is a joy.

2 other features I have, and would urge you to go for if you can, are `ACC` and `DCC`. I use both every time I go out.

If you wish to know anything else about this particular car / spec / engine, let me know.

Regards

Mike.

• Like 1

@Roottootemoot  - The Superb appeared late last night on list on Skoda's website, but didn't appear on Notability website until around lunchtime, but as you say the site has been all over the place today. Visited a dealer this evening who confirmed that they are available. SE & SEL hatch and estate in manual or DSG but all 1.5 petrol.

@mandp - Thanks very much for this, it's exactly the information I was after.  I had a 16 plate Superb diesel a couple of years ago and comfort was excellent but I was concerned about the ability of a 1.5 petrol unit in such a big car, but your comments have calmed my nerves a bit.

Edited by geordiebloke
Spelling

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now and decided to join in to the discussions, so hello Briskodians :)

I have a Superb Estate 1.5 TSI DSG for nearly a year now and have made about 16000 km in it. Do I like the car? Basically yes, it's a good spacious, practical and comfortable car. Driving it on a motorway is a complete joy and the engine is powerful enough, at least for my needs. But there are some negative things too:

- the squeaky armrest is annoying. Yes, I know that there is a solution for that in this forum, but I just didn't find the time to fix it jet.

- seats are not as comfortable as you could expect. I have electrically operated seats with alcantara and they are lovely to sit in, but I got a serious backache during a long journey. Might be that I did not find the correct setting yet and I'm quite tall (2 meters) so that might not be a problem for shorter people.

- then there are the reliability issues. Got my rear brake discs and pads replaced under warranty at ~10000 km and when I came to collect the car form the dealer I got a notification go to the dealer immediately because of an ACC fault.. I did not even leave the parking lot! So the car remained at the dealer's and I only picked it up after a week. The dealer said that they had replaced the dash (I have the "normal" one, not the digital dash) under warranty. When i asked how could changing break discs and pads be related to the failure of the dash, the dealer said that it could not be related - it's just a coincidence. But I find it hard to believe. After that at ~15000 km my sound horn failed and was replaced under warranty.

- I also had to go to the dealer for a software update for my engine. I had complaints because the acceleration was a bit jerky on lower gears when the engine was clod. I had something similar to the "kangaroo starts" that are described in the Karoq forums, only my "kangaroo" was relatively mild. The software update fixed this problem. By the way, after I got the software update by request, I got a mail form the dealer informing about an official recall to do the same update.

All in all i think it is a good car and I might have gotten a bit unlucky because I had these minor faults, but buying a new car you expect it to be reliable, so I have mixed feelings about the Superb. The 1.5 engine gives me the fuel economy and the performance that I was hoping for, but I don't know if it will be as reliable as I had hoped. The new 2.0 TSI 140 kw engine that was introduced (at least in Lithuania) looks very good on paper - it has more power and the fuel economy is close the the 1.5 engine. So if I was buying a car today, I would definitely consider getting the 2.0 TSI 140 kw one.  

@Valaitis - Welcome to the forum and thanks for your input. I'm pleased with your comments about the economy and the performance as these were the things concerning me the most. The issues you have had, although annoying are nothing major and have been sorted for you so I'm not too worried.☺️

Not a 1.5 but the 1.4 DSG.

I have the SEL model with cream leather for over 2.5 years. It's a company car and is excellent. I can drive it for hours with no discomfort, 5'9".

The engine coupled with the DSG is lovely and smooth, as mentioned above the ACC is also well worth it.

It's not a drivers car and don't waste your money on paddles but it will cruise at the speed limit all day four up with luggage and make good progress on A roads.

I think it's great as a family saloon. 

Buy one.20171119_111309.thumb.jpg.b2fb7378b4bbf4cba4f7071115bb2563.jpg

One thing I didn't mention.....

Now and again I carry my work colleagues, 4 other blokes and the biggest at 6'2" and built like a Brick what's it, can easily sit in the middle on the back seat.

FB_IMG_1570039887402.jpg

Edited by vfrvrs

21 minutes ago, geordiebloke said:

@vfrvrs - thanks - exactly what I wanted to hear. Took the plunge this afternoon and ordered a business grey SEL hatch. It's about to go on the ship so dealer says should be with me by end of the month. Can't wait

Also nothing squeaks

• 3 months later...

After nearly three months of ownership and just under 3000 miles, I thought I'd update the thread to let everyone know how things are going.

The car looks brilliant in business grey (last two were Quartz Grey, so fancied a change) and it doesn't show the dirt and salt the way the last ones did, so still looks smart even though it's 'minging'. It's every bit as comfortable as I remember from the last one and remarkably quiet. The 1.5 engine is surprisingly quick if pushed but I've found that I have now adopted a more relaxed driving manner - maybe this is also helped by the DSG box. I had issues with wheelspin every time I pulled away from a junction but this was resolved by adjusting the tyre pressures from 50psi to a more comfortable 32psi - car is a lot quieter too. The toys this has over the last two Skoda's are brilliant - the ACC is great in traffic and especially useful when driving through average speed cameras , the matrix headlights are fantastic and work very well and despite my reservations about KESSY, I've grown to like it (make sure I lock up using the routine outlined in the manual so car can't be scanned. The dealer also said the remotes go to sleep after a period of not being used, but I've not found any info to back this up). The lights for blind spot detection seem a bit overkill but not too bad now after turning down light intensity, and..........you only get ONE umbrella now.

Fuel economy was a bit of shock when we first got the car with 25-30mpg around the doors but this is around 35-38mpg now with late 40's on a decent run so hopefully will keep on improving like the others did.

All in all, we are very happy with the car and it's capable of doing everything that we want it do, and really does look the part even if the jury is still out on the Skoda lettering on the boot lid.

Thank you to everyone who posted and helped with the making of my decision.

• Like 3

S3C L&K 1.5 with DSG7 here, lots of short runs in crap weather with crap traffic and winter tires, 44MPG across the board. Summertime closer to 47/8.

Happy as a clam with the engine and gearbox combo. Quiet and refined, with just enough poke to overtake if needed. Had several 2.0 diesels before, loved the torque but with my current mileage just not worth it from new.

22 hours ago, mandp said:

Over the past 7 months since new, I've averaged 44.9mpg. Happy with that. 

I must have a heavy right foot. Mine averages about 38mpg

I do a fair amount of motorway driving. 

I can get about 45mpg on Irish motorways, because there’s generally very little traffic. Not so on the M1, unfortunately.