Anyone fitted wheel spacer? Pro's and con's

irfant

As above.  The effect of adding more mass to the hub area will have a greater (negative) impact on handling than the wider stance.  Lowering will probably give you better results at not much more outlay.

• Like 1

The weight difference is between Ooo & Ahhh and changing summer to winter tyres / wheels or the other way around can be as much.

(Not that many bother weighing the wheels and tyres they fit or swap.)

The wider track really is going to make little difference, and is the handling currently not up to the speeds being driven?

• 1 month later...

Spacers can cause the bearing to wear  out quicker due putting more pressure on them by moving the centre line of the wheel. I wanted to fill the arches a bit so fitted bigger wheels and an offset to suit.

IMG_20190912_134910701_HDR.jpg

On 07/10/2019 at 17:09, Roottootemoot said:

The weight difference is between Ooo & Ahhh and changing summer to winter tyres / wheels or the other way around can be as much.

(Not that many bother weighing the wheels and tyres they fit or swap.)

The wider track really is going to make little difference, and is the handling currently not up to the speeds being driven?

You are right. I did the old 2 handed weighing test when swapping to winters. 17 Vs 18 and the 18s are a touch heavier. 

So, ignore my comment on weight.

14 hours ago, ruffday said:

Spacers can cause the bearing to wear  out quicker due putting more pressure on them by moving the centre line of the wheel. I wanted to fill the arches a bit so fitted bigger wheels and an offset to suit.

IMG_20190912_134910701_HDR.jpg

So a 7 inch wide wheel with 45 offset compared to an 8 inch wide with 33 offset will have the inside face at the same point with a 12mm change in center line. That has the same affect as putting 12mm spacers on the 7 inch wheels in force on the bearing.

9 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

So a 7 inch wide wheel with 45 offset compared to an 8 inch wide with 33 offset will have the inside face at the same point with a 12mm change in center line. That has the same affect as putting 12mm spacers on the 7 inch wheels in force on the bearing.

That is true but if you go for the same 45mm offset it wont. An inch wider should be no problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruffday said:

That is true but if you go for the same 45mm offset it wont. An inch wider should be no problem.

The risk with that is the inside edge could bind on the suspension components.  If going wider I would suggest fitment was at least checked and maybe a lower offset or spacers used.  When fitting different wheels I try to keep the inside face as close to the original as possible to minimise the stress on things.

Wheel Spacers are allowed in Motor Sport under MSA Rules and just the size / width of them is limited.

I have used them with different offroaders for decades when required with different changes of wheels / tyres for different events / use.

The wheel bearing thing is mentioned often and has been for decades and people that use Wheel Spacers and maintain their vehicles know that it is a nonsense.

Even Skoda fit wheel spacers to 'Show Vehicles' and ones they sell off with the 'Spacers' still fitted.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/265505-my-skoda-s2000-built-for-street

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

........ know that it is a nonsense.

I fitted 3' wheel spacers to a go cart that had pram wheels, and can tell you that it completely shagged the bearings without even having to turn the wheels. Circa 1973 and looked super-cool.  Momentarily 😁

Gaz

• Haha 1

i had 12mm hubcentric spacers on the rear of my 2011 mk2 Octavia RS for 6 years - no issues.

i now have 15mm hubcentric spacers on the front & rear of my 2017 mk3 Superb 220.  been 12 months now - no issues.

Edited by JR RS