..another Yeti replacement thread - Seat Arona?

Stubod

Seriously considered a T-Cross but could not quiet get the deal and wanted to wait and see what Kamiq is like, disappointed on spec and price. Looked at an Audi Q2 but ended up really liking the Q3 for size and comfort of drive. Possibly look at the Karoq as similar in size to Q3. Whilst I would like a new car, Yeti is only 3.5 years old and all paid for, ticks all the boxes so have decided to keep for another 12 months.  May regret if prices go up 10% post Brexit!

• Like 1

Hi,

Bron and I love our Yeti 2.0L SE L so much we've decided to hang on to it; I've browsed the web looking at new cars but quickly become bored; there's nothing we fancy to replace our Yeti. We usually trade in against a new car at three years or less and have done this since 1990. We know our Yeti and so far it's been a good friend to us; it suits us perfectly. A Yeti has a certain street presence lacking in most modern look alike cars. We have lots of KIA Sportages locally and mostly in white but nothing so far is tempting us to swap; plenty of funds just no new Yeti's any longer. We travel about 7,000 miles per year and it's now got just over 22,000 on it's clock; it was bought brand new so we know it's been well looked after; all servicing is done by DMK in Wakefield at reasonable cost and so far road tax is only £30 per year it being the adblue model. 

C'mon Skoda sort yourselves out and manufacture   a direct Yeti replacement not a copy of every other car on the road; we've got cash waiting; in the meantime we'll continue loving our Yeti. If the EU start playing games our next car will not be from the EU.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2019 at 09:25, TR7Driver said:

Seriously considered a T-Cross but could not quiet get the deal and wanted to wait and see what Kamiq is like, disappointed on spec and price.

Disappointed with the price and spec of the Kamiq, or the T-Cross?

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Disappointed with the price and spec of the Kamiq, or the T-Cross?

Disappointed by the Kamiq price and spec compared against the equivalent T Cross. A VW working out better value than a ŠKODA!

• Like 2

We went from a Yeti to a Karoq. Its about 150mm longer in the boot inside, the cabin appears to be about the same size inside. We went straight swap SE L to SE L, and the standard Karoq is superbly well equipped, although we did add a towbar and ACC having had both on my car and liked them.

So, it might be that if you want a cabin the same size as the Yeti  and the varioflex seats (at SE L or as an extra)  you could go for a Karoq, and just accept its a tiny bit longer.

We did go up to a 1.5 DSG as we plan to use it with a small trailer or bike rack. Ours is pretty much new, we've had it a month, so it probably has all the new software updates. What I can tell you is it drives smoothly, quietly and with no kangaroo-ing etc, so I'd not be afraid of buying one myself.

• 3 weeks later...

..still looking. Went to see an Arona the other day. Looks nice but not quite the same "quality" as a Yeti. Also looked at Hyundi Kona and Kia Stonic, but not sure, and the reviews are not that good compared to the Arona. Sods law, when I was getting the Yeti the model I wanted (1.4tsi) was like the proverbial rocking horse droppings, it appears the higher spec Arona's are the same. Although some good savings on Carwow.

I do like the look of the new Skoda small SUV which I assume is the actual Yeti replacement. Not seen one ion the flesh, but a decent spec one is north of £25k.

Also my current Yeti doesn't seem to be worth that much trade, (WBAC - £10.5k), which is lower than I would like so may have a go at selling privately and see what happens?

It seems that the new Kamiq is much lower than the Yeti and the seat height is reported to be more in line with a slightly taller hatchback than crossovers like the Yeti. If the new batch of small SUV's/crossovers seat heights are not much higher than cheaper hatchbacks then what is the point of them?

On 08/11/2019 at 12:53, Stubod said:

..still looking. Went to see an Arona the other day. Looks nice but not quite the same "quality" as a Yeti. Also looked at Hyundi Kona and Kia Stonic, but not sure, and the reviews are not that good compared to the Arona. Sods law, when I was getting the Yeti the model I wanted (1.4tsi) was like the proverbial rocking horse droppings, it appears the higher spec Arona's are the same. Although some good savings on Carwow.

I had a test drive in a Kona Premium GT today (the awd DCT one) and found it to be very nice. DSG/DCT seemed pretty smooth, certainly smoother than my old Octy circa early noughties. The engine is OK, a bit noisy under load and not a pleasant noise either and it doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest, also there is a fair bit of tyre noise from the 235 tyres. But the pros outway the cons imho, including the alledged harsh ride, which seems to me to be firm but well damped (The GT version is the only petrol Kona with independent rear suspension).

The only option that's missing is radar cruise control, but it has everything else you can shake a stick at, even ventilated seats. Also if you link your phones wifi to it, you can use the cars satnav with TomTom traffic alerts and camera warnings included on the navigation screen. I still prefer TomTom for camera database and traffic compared to Google/Waze although there is not so much in it these days. Anyhoo it was a nice feature I felt. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I had a test drive in a Kona Premium GT today (the awd DCT one) and found it to be very nice. DSG/DCT seemed pretty smooth, certainly smoother than my old Octy circa early noughties. The engine is OK, a bit noisy under load and not a pleasant noise either and it doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest, also there is a fair bit of tyre noise from the 235 tyres. But the pros outway the cons imho, including the alledged harsh ride, which seems to me to be firm but well damped (The GT version is the only petrol Kona with independent rear suspension).

The only option that's missing is radar cruise control, but it has everything else you can shake a stick at, even ventilated seats. Also if you link your phones wifi to it, you can use the cars satnav with TomTom traffic alerts and camera warnings included on the navigation screen. I still prefer TomTom for camera database and traffic compared to Google/Waze although there is not so much in it these days. Anyhoo it was a nice feature I felt. 

Have you looked at the VW T-Cross? In many ways it seems the best of the latest VAG offerings with compliant, quiet ride, slightly higher driving position and good reviews.

Fantastic deals on Kona, good part-ex offer on Vitara, sporty drive (for SUV) and a centre coupling lock :)  T Cross is only FWD

Not a done deal, but getting close. I looked at several cars and got it down to Kona, CX3 and Vitara. Vitara best for slippy conditions, but Kona not far behind. Does almost as well as Vitara in roller tests :) If I can't get Kona deal I will probably look for a Vitara deal later in the year (4ys 0% PCP finance). Holding your nerve for a December car is worth doing too as dealers are starting to offload cars with higher emissions that will hurt their overall average targets for next year (it will be harder for them to be inside limits) 

Edited by Lady Elanore

..ta for the feedback...I may have another look at the Kona, but most reviews seem to favour the T-Roc then Arona. I have just been on the Skoda website and specced up the new Kamiq...but it's coming in at a tadd over £26k!...a bit to rich for me 😞  ..

How many of these good reviews for vag cars across their range have mentioned the kangaroo issues with the 1.5tsi engine in the last 18 months..???? A revue is only one persons view ,it’s your hard earned make up your own mind.

5 hours ago, Sad555 said:

How many of these good reviews for vag cars across their range have mentioned the kangaroo issues with the 1.5tsi engine in the last 18 months..???? A revue is only one persons view ,it’s your hard earned make up your own mind.

I would not consider the 1.5 firstly as I don't really need a 1.5ltr, (I do like the 1.0ltr after being lent one when mine was in for a service), and secondly, as you say, too many problems reported. Also modern cars are too complex anyway, and adding "cylinder on demand" technology just adds to this..ie more to go wrong!

Edited by Stubod