Central locking, alarm and boot opening not working after battery died, please help!

Hello All,

I am hoping you can help. After my battery died, I have now lost central locking (both remotely and also with key inserted), cannot open the boot at all, cannot open/close passengers windows from the driver's door and also the alarm is not working. I tried many different things, from steps written in the manual to using two keys, waiting random number of seconds with key turned left and right . I also tried disconnecting the battery and leaving for about 40 minutes but did not help. Do you have any suggestions please? Many thanks in advance.

Have you measured the battery voltage; if so what is it?

With the ignition on, turn on the lights; do they work and what is the battery voltage with lights on?

This is to to eliminate the possibility of a failed cell in the new battery before exploring other options.

hi, I didn't check the voltage in the battery yet as I don't have a meter but I have driven the car many times since. It is actually the same battery, I found out it was the front seats heating which was draining the battery down and once I remove that fuse, no more drainage. The battery is also fairly new as I bought it only about 6 months back, thanks

If you drained the battery below 10.5v then it is foutu no matter how new it is, get a voltmeter on it ASAP.

I have found that a battery that can still start the car instantly may effectively be U/S because it wil trigger so many fault codes and electronic problems, our cars start very well but the electronics dont like the volt drop when they do.

That said I discharged my new battery well beyond that figure one time when leaving the lights on and its starting OK, ,perhaps not as strongly and is not creating fault code city like its predecessor but I'm sure its life has been drastically reduced.

How many times did you overdischarge your new battery?

Edited by J.R.

thanks a lot guys! I have overdischarged the battery only once. As it is still on warranty, I will get the replacement one fitted and re-test. I will also re-fit the fuse to make sure it does not feed anything else. I will get back once all completed ;)

Good luck with that warranty claim, most have an exclusion if its been overdischarged although I dont know how they would know, the Batterymegastore wont accept returns if the voltage is below a certain threshold which always struck me as unfair if a cell had shorted out.

Glad I dont sell batteries and have to warrant them.

Mine was overdischarged once, it still works, I'm sure its life has been reduced, I would not myself try to claim a new one and if I did for what reason? - It retains enough charge to start the vehicle.

I would get yours tested with a proper calibrated load tester before thinking about returning it although if you bought it locally they should test it for you.