Starting issue in the morning

Hi guys, 2014 Skoda Octavia vrs combi DSG.. If I try to start in the morning its hesitant for a few seconds but starts..If the turn the key and back 3 times it will start no prob..I changed the battery and still have same problem..nothing showing up on VCDS..Any ideas??

Do you mean a slow engine crank? (That will be battery related. )

Or

a delay between turning the key and it cranking over? (Software controlled engine start where you don’t need to hold the key until the engine is running, just flick it instead)

13 minutes ago, BigEjit said:

Do you mean a slow engine crank? (That will be battery related. )

Or

a delay between turning the key and it cranking over? (Software controlled engine start where you don’t need to hold the key until the engine is running, just flick it instead)

Yes like a slow engine crank a bit hesitant to start when I flick key to start but if I turn key to on and back 3 times she'll start with no hesitation 

7 minutes ago, CCTaylor said:

If it is a diesel, the starter motor doesn't engage until the engine management has everything ready like glow plugs heated.

Yes it's a diesel and I'll always wait for light to go out before I try to start

Diesels will wait a second or two between key turn and engine crank on occasion. Usually on the first cold start of the day. It’s normal. If it’s running, job done. The next start will be quicker after it’s warmed a little.

No point switching it off and restarting, the end result is the same. 

29 minutes ago, BigEjit said:

Diesels will wait a second or two between key turn and engine crank on occasion. Usually on the first cold start of the day. It’s normal. If it’s running, job done. The next start will be quicker after it’s warmed a little.

No point switching it off and restarting, the end result is the same. 

No sorry I mean turn the key to start position and back 3 times I dont start it 

40 minutes ago, durhamfisher said:

Like BigEjit said, try letting the software decide when its ready to start i.e. flick the key forward and let go. Dont wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting. 

If I do that its hesitant to start but if I turn to start position and back 3 times(not actually starting the car)she'll start no prob 

A faulty glow plug should trigger an ECL on the dashboard. Maybe yours are not at a stage that triggers the fault but not working efficiently. I had some difficult starts for a while and eventually the ECL came on and the garage diagnosed a faulty glow plug. I think you can view the glow plug information in diagostic software and also manually check the glow plug resistance. Others members on here are better experienced to advise exactly how to do this.

46 minutes ago, durhamfisher said:

A faulty glow plug should trigger an ECL on the dashboard. Maybe yours are not at a stage that triggers the fault but not working efficiently. I had some difficult starts for a while and eventually the ECL came on and the garage diagnosed a faulty glow plug. I think you can view the glow plug information in diagostic software and also manually check the glow plug resistance. Others members on here are better experienced to advise exactly how to do this.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Does it also do it when it's hot and you restart the engine?

What about if you wait 10 minutes and try again?

Could possibly be a fuelling issue too if rail pressure is being lost - repeatedly turning the key may prime it enough to start.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, micro said:

Does it also do it when it's hot and you restart the engine?

What about if you wait 10 minutes and try again?

Could possibly be a fuelling issue too if rail pressure is being lost - repeatedly turning the key may prime it enough to start.

No..once it starts in the morning it goes first flick of the key for the day