About to change

I have a 2017 SEL Exec on lease and it is due to go back in April.  The spec has changed since 2017 with some arrivals (Leather:-() and some departures (Electric Drivers seat :-()

What should I be looking out for to make sure I don't lose out on something that is standard (and I may not have noticed) on the current car and isn't on the new one?

Extras on current car were metallic paint, different 18 inch wheels, heated screen, rear wiper and spare wheel.

After studying the spec sheets I’d spec one up on line, then if any questions visit a dealer. Over a 3year span there will be a fair number of detail changes. I’ve just moved from an MY16 L&K Estate to an MY20 and there are numerous small changes that add up to a significant change overall. 
If there’s something in your car that you consider a must have then it’s probably available as an option, but beware it doesn’t take long when adding options to be worth looking at the next trim level up where the options might be standard. 

9 hours ago, PaulDSG said:

After studying the spec sheets I’d spec one up on line, then if any questions visit a dealer. Over a 3year span there will be a fair number of detail changes. I’ve just moved from an MY16 L&K Estate to an MY20 and there are numerous small changes that add up to a significant change overall. 
If there’s something in your car that you consider a must have then it’s probably available as an option, but beware it doesn’t take long when adding options to be worth looking at the next trim level up where the options might be standard. 

Except, if you have chosen a L&K.

Quite nerving to see on a L&K that some standard equipments have moved to the option list on the Face lifted version ...

If Skoda starts imitating Audi stinginess, the "Skoda, simply clever" won't be applicable for a long time...  Skoda may reach VW prices (with equipments form former generation), but sell prices of Skodas on the used car market will still be lower than VW ones... Thus will Skodas be worth buying?... 

I start being skeptical on Skoda marketing strategy... 

• Like 2

I had a 2016 L&K Estate and 2 weeks ago took delivery of a 2020 model, also an L&K Estate. I’m not aware of anything that was on my old car that isn’t on the new one. 
I’ve added a small number of options, Velvet Red, silver alloys and a towbar, none of which were previously standard. 
Standard items on the new car that we’re options on the 2016 include heated & ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, reversing camera and high beam assist. 

Having just bought a 2017 L&K I was surprised at how much isn't standard tbh. 

Cooled seats

Levers for lowering the rear seats from the boot

DSG paddles

Heated steering wheel 

Sim card slot

Traffic sign recognition 

Smart light assist 

Reversing camera 

Edited by TallPaul_S

It isn't as easy as it used to be as there are no printed brochures.  Being old fashioned comparing pdfs isn't as easy.

They also don't list everything in the brochure.

Download and print off the price list including specifications. That will have the full and most upto date (that your likely to get) specs and cost options available. Problem is with skodas really long delivery times specs can and do change I'm afraid. All the best whatever you go for. 

On 30/10/2019 at 15:01, TallPaul_S said:

Sim card slot

Won't that be in the glove box along with a DVD drive and sim card slot rather than on the front panel of the infotainment system? It's still standard on 2020MY kodiaqs (or at least my sportline anyway, it's standard in regards the Columbus system etc).

3 hours ago, Leccy said:

We’re you surprised because you didn’t look at the specs before you bought it? 😬

Nah, I'd got the spec print out from the dealer so I knew exactly what it came with, but when you watch the YouTube review videos their L&K models have every option ticked so you might think it comes with all those things, being the top of the range model of course! 

Still, not as bad as VW. Oh, you want heated seats on your top of the range R line model? That'll be extra. 🤣

1 hour ago, Gmac983 said:

Won't that be in the glove box along with a DVD drive and sim card slot rather than on the front panel of the infotainment system? It's still standard on 2020MY kodiaqs (or at least my sportline anyway, it's standard in regards the Columbus system etc).

It would be, if mine had that specced. 🙁

On 30/10/2019 at 00:26, Bap33 said:

If Skoda starts imitating Audi stinginess, the "Skoda, simply clever" won't be applicable for a long time... 

I start being skeptical on Skoda marketing strategy... 

Get used to it.

Skoda certainly won't be lowering prices, so the only way to take cost out and allow SEAT up the pecking order is to remove features...

VAG have recently confirmed that they plan to downmarket the Skoda brand...

https://uk.motor1.com/news/373853/volkswagen-seat-upmarket-skoda-downmarket/

Brand loyalty - pah.

The industry’s future is uncertain with disruption coming from both inside and outside the industry. VW Groups’ brand realignment could better position the company financially going forward by saving money on eliminating overlapping products and brands while finding new, untapped revenue sources, too.

Whilst it is recognised that there are massive shifts within the car market globally, the bottom line, for me, is value for money.  If one brand, or even sub-brand in the case of the VAG, give a better package then that deserves a look, a very critical look to see what  the offers actually are.

Interesting perspective about overlapping products.  If they cease to overlap what is the loss in benefit of common use parts not being used more widely?

Untapped revenues sources, where would they be?

I suppose as long as VWFS can lock people into long-term commitment via PCP etc then their marketing job is pretty much done.  

Just as long as you pay 12-15% of your annual salary direct to the motor financiers for a product with ever decreasing capabilities then they own you.  

How many people truly bang out and jump to another manufacturing group or just pay cash?

2 hours ago, Bud said:

[...]

Interesting perspective about overlapping products.  If they cease to overlap what is the loss in benefit of common use parts not being used more widely?

[...]

How many people truly bang out and jump to another manufacturing group or just pay cash?

1) IMHO overlap stands for similar products offer in different brands, e.g. : Is their a really difference between Seat Ateca and Skoda Karoq ? Same question about Seat Tarraco and Skoda Kodiaq?... But this does not apply to equipment or parts, that VAG aims at making as common as possible. Note : Quite funny to see VW and Audi logos on some spare parts (filters / brake pads / filter housings, etc. etc.), ins't it?

2) Do your own bank. Pay cash and then put the same amount of a monthly credit payment on a savings account. Then banking interests will be for you instead of car manufacturers or banks...😈. And you can gather enough money once time to change you car has come. In this case, you're still free.

But I give it to you, it means, you have enough money to 'prime the pump' at least once. This is may be the most difficult...

• 2 months later...

Taken the plunge, 2.0 TDI 150 SEL Saloon ordered, same colour as the current one.  Almost the same options, gone for hill start assist this time.

Tyres not included as most only cover fair wear and tear - this car has had 2 on wear and one punctured and not repairable plus 2 puncture repairs.  £30 for 36 months will go into the bank instead of VWFS to cover the risk.  Might even fund a set of winter wheels! 

Edited by IJWS15
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just spoken to the dealer and officially the car is programmed for build week 15 (6th April) ready for delivery 4 weeks time.

Unofficially the factory is closed for at least 4 weeks so I won't be seeing the new car in April . . . . . . 😞

• 2 weeks later...

Story continues

VWFS want to continue the monthly payment (based on 24k a year) for me to keep a car that will only do one run to the supermarket each week and is still 5k under the leased mileage.

I have offered to continue to insure it until they can collect it if I can still use it at no cost, if they won't go  for that then they can have it back.  However,  BCA have closed down and are not doing collections so looks like I will be parking it on the road on 21/4 until they get around to picking it up, if it takes more than a couple of weeks the battery may be flat when the driver comes for it.  

Tell them you will be parking it on the road and reporting it to DVLA and the Police for being an uninsured and untaxed vehicle if the are not happy letting you use it at no cost. DVLA will happily uplift it and crush it for them!

On 03/11/2019 at 12:09, Bap33 said:

1) IMHO overlap stands for similar products offer in different brands, e.g. : Is their a really difference between Seat Ateca and Skoda Karoq ? Same question about Seat Tarraco and Skoda Kodiaq?... But this does not apply to equipment or parts, that VAG aims at making as common as possible. Note : Quite funny to see VW and Audi logos on some spare parts (filters / brake pads / filter housings, etc. etc.), ins't it?

2) Do your own bank. Pay cash and then put the same amount of a monthly credit payment on a savings account. Then banking interests will be for you instead of car manufacturers or banks...😈. And you can gather enough money once time to change you car has come. In this case, you're still free.

But I give it to you, it means, you have enough money to 'prime the pump' at least once. This is may be the most difficult...

VW are the masters in sharing platforms across many brands. It's a good way to spread development costs. It won't stop anytime soon IMO.

I did my own bank thing and it works, I have no car payment. Downside is I can still only afford a 2+ year old used car (first one was 5 years old used) to get the car I want and need and that will last me my use case for at least the next 5 years. Need to own it at least 5 years if not more to actually make it cheaper than leasing. 

Upside is I have flexibility to extend ownership for more savings at expense of driving the same old car lol. 

• Thanks 1

When your use case involves 24k miles a year and you rely on the car getting you to work leasing gives you certainty of costs, including depreciation.  VWFS will probably take a hit on this car when it goes back as second hand values have gone through the floor - doesn't affect me and the price for the new one is agreed so it won't be affected either. If I had bought three years ago I would be looking at the plummeting value of the car stood on the drive, granted it isn't moving much but that brings its own problems (DPF etc). Buying and changing every four years at 100k isn't significantly cheaper than leasing but I carry more of the risk.

When I retire and I can chose to stay in if the car doesn't start I will probably buy and run it into the ground before buying another (as we used to).

On 01/04/2020 at 08:19, IJWS15 said:

When your use case involves 24k miles a year and you rely on the car getting you to work leasing gives you certainty of costs, including depreciation.  VWFS will probably take a hit on this car when it goes back as second hand values have gone through the floor - doesn't affect me and the price for the new one is agreed so it won't be affected either. If I had bought three years ago I would be looking at the plummeting value of the car stood on the drive, granted it isn't moving much but that brings its own problems (DPF etc). Buying and changing every four years at 100k isn't significantly cheaper than leasing but I carry more of the risk.

When I retire and I can chose to stay in if the car doesn't start I will probably buy and run it into the ground before buying another (as we used to).

Yep, buying new and changing at 4 years, leasing might actually have an edge. The only trick is to estimate the mileage correctly to minimise cost. Either way, running a car is a money pit unless you play the banger game. The banger game comes with the expense of effort, risk, and not being able to enjoy the latest tech. 

Even buying a 5 year old Honda , running it for 5 years, I had 1k a year in depreciation. Granted, I didn't bother to sell it privately for a higher price but that is still decent for a reliable car. Leasing a new civic for that period would cost around double that if not more. I didn't get to enjoy Android auto , adaptive cruise though. 

On 30/03/2020 at 10:34, IJWS15 said:

However,  BCA have closed down and are not doing collections so looks like I will be parking it on the road on 21/4 until they get around to picking it up, if it takes more than a couple of weeks the battery may be flat when the driver comes for it.  

On 30/03/2020 at 16:38, GAG said:

Tell them you will be parking it on the road and reporting it to DVLA and the Police for being an uninsured and untaxed vehicle if the are not happy letting you use it at no cost. DVLA will happily uplift it and crush it for them!

Skoda Finance are insuring end of lease vehicles third party fire and theft to allow you to leave them on the road.

Thanks for that update. It is not to allow the ex- leaser to leave it on the road who has absolutely no part in its upkeep etc after the lease expires, it is to allow VW Finance to leave it on the road.

I would take as many photographs/video as possible recording any marks/damage etc and more importantly that there are no marks or damage then I would park it well away from my property so that it is absolutely clear to anybody that I am not responsible for it. 

Do VW Finance expect you to hold onto the keys or leave them in the vehicle or post them to VW Finance.

Edited by GAG

Unfortunately, the leasee is still responsible for the car beyond the duration of the contract, until it is inspected.

Taking pictures of the condition of the car the day the lease ends is a wise move. You'll need to be able to prove any damage to the car at the time of the inspection occured after the lease expired...

image.png.f71989262b0882cf365ef60acb7d4404.png

image.png.d149c1234e80e75df4a097b7e2b1120c.png

Edited by silver1011

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Unfortunately, the leasee is still responsible for the car beyond the duration of the contract, until it is inspected.

Taking pictures of the condition of the car the day the lease ends is a wise move. You'll need to be able to prove any damage to the car at the time of the inspection occured after the lease expired...

image.png.f71989262b0882cf365ef60acb7d4404.png

image.png.d149c1234e80e75df4a097b7e2b1120c.png

I got this email as well this week only thing was they’d already collected the car

new one not arrived but not bothered as not going anywhere also removed the maintenance from mine as found the way VWFS treated the service intervals and tyres meant our company paid £1800 over three years for 3 services and 2 tyres. 

• Like 1