Snow Chains for Scala

Carlston

Snow Chains for Skoda Scala
SKODA Genuine Accessories
• for 15 195/65 R15 wheels with 6Jx15 ET35 rims
• for 16 ”195/60 R16 wheels with 6Jx16 ET35 rims
000 091 387AQ

These are the only tyre size and rim combinations that Skoda approves for use with the Scala.

The Skoda Scala isn't available with these tyre sizes as a factory order.

The minimum tyre size with a factory order is 205/55R16.

Edited by Carlston

Skoda Scala UK brochure lists 16" snow chains with part number:

000 091 387AP

Maybe these are for the 205/55R16 size tyres?

However, I've read that the Skoda Scala is only approved for snow chains when fitted with 195/65R15 tyres fitted to 6Jx15 ET35 rims or 195/60R16 tyres fitted to 6Jx16 ET35 rims.

So there is some confusion about whether snow chains with part number 000 091 387AP can be used with 205/55R16 tyres? It could be a mistake in the brochure?

If you can use these snow chains with part number 000 091 387AP on 205/55R16 tyres, then that could save the expense of purchasing 195/65R15 tyres or 195/60R16 tyres to use with the slightly different snow chains with part number 000 091 387AQ.

The snow chains with part number ending in P is for the 205 tyres? (possibly) and the snow chains with part number ending in Q is for the 195 tyres.

Edited by Carlston

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Sumex snow chains from a certain prime online retailer. I've had them on a few cars. There as good as most, although not the heaviest chain, however cheap enough and long lasting!  I've got them in the boot of our Scala SEL and I'm currently in the Highlands close close to Glenshee! Search: "HUSAD90 Husky Advance Snow Chains 9 mm".

• 3 weeks later...

If  chain tension is not checked after use, and chains slip over or off,damage is caused to brake lines.body panels etc.I do not live in a remote area in the UK ,but if I did I don't think I would take the risk.Most cars become stuck in heavy snow when snow packs under the front,so without enough clearance to ground,chains can be of no use...... 

Edited by Blackcountryman

On 05/11/2019 at 05:22, Carlston said:

Snow Chains for Skoda Scala
SKODA Genuine Accessories
• for 15 195/65 R15 wheels with 6Jx15 ET35 rims
• for 16 ”195/60 R16 wheels with 6Jx16 ET35 rims
000 091 387AQ

These are the only tyre size and rim combinations that Skoda approves for use with the Scala.

The Skoda Scala isn't available with these tyre sizes as a factory order.

The minimum tyre size with a factory order is 205/55R16.

One thing to consider, Skoda UK will able be able to factory order cars fitted with summer tyres, Skoda should have a size in mind (approved) for useful winter wheels+tyres, and that/these sizes will be the sizes that they are supplying snow chains to fit.

The manufacturer doesn't recommend comment is just that. They don't recommend, as its a disclaimer, if you manage to damage your car. Modern light weight snow chains are perfectly fine for most tyre/wheel combinations. I have a set for my 7 year old JCW Mini and I've now purchased a set for our Scala SEL. I've had a full licence for just on 30 years and drive a ford transit van, in all conditions! Previously I've driven both commercial and industrial 4x4's for work, in truely offroad conditions in the UK and I've never needed to use chains ever. I've also driven both 4x4 and two wheel drive vehicles in Northern Sweden, in temperatures as low as -27°C and colder; when the road is under 2m of snow and ice, studded winter tyres are a godsend! 

If you have an off road rated 4x4 and need to use chains, then one of several things has happened; you're a mountain rescue/ emergency services operative saving lives, you're a farmer and your 4x4 tractor is broken!, you work on an oil pipeline or windfarm, you're outside of your vehicles rated capability (deep soft snow drifts will stop most normal vehicles), you're inexperienced in snow conditions and offroading and/or you have the wrong tyres fitted! That being said, when it comes to emergency equipment, I always follow the rule that it's better to have, than to have not. A winch, snatch/towline and chains are always handy to have! 

Before considering the purchase of snow chains. Winter basics to consider for any vehicle and particularly when travel in remote locations:

• Mobile phone and car charger and preferably a fully charged battery charging block, as alternators have been known to just die! 
  • Warm clothing, gloves, scarf, hat etc. Extra layers are a must have, including winter walking boots and socks, just in case you need to walk to safety or to get help! 
  • Water or other liquid to drink (in low temperatures, don't leave in the car overnight!).
  • Non-perishable food. Energy bars, snacks and chrisps etc for emergencies.
  • A car blanket and/or at least one mylar emergency blanket per passenger.
  • Torch with fresh batteries installed and a set of spare batteries. Consider a cheap headtorch; handy just in case you need to replace a wheel or even dig yourself out! I carry both and use rechargeable batteries. I also have spare alcaline batteries on hand, just in case!
  • Emergency first aid kit, paper map, compass, whistle, reflective triangle, light weight snow shovel and high viz jacket (I carry 2x snow shovel and 4x high viz vest). Also a cheap battery operated strobe or road flair is handy if you need to stay in your vehicle overnight.
  • Full washer bottle and when possible, a full tank of fuel or at least half a tank, top both up as and when you can!  

If you're stuck with your vehicle, its important to stay warm. By all means run the engine and heater, however remember that engine fumes kill, so assess and reassess the wind direction. If necessary, be prepared to switch the engine off, but be aware that hypothermia can set in quickly! As a not so wise man once said, it's better to be dead cold, than cold dead! Both Hypothermia and Hypoxia can and do kill in this country!

Getting back to snow chains, my advice is the following:

1/ Snow chains are fine for emergency use, particularly useful on two wheel drive cars and in conditions that you ordinarily wouldn't choose to drive in! 

2/ They are not a replacement for winter tyres and should not be used as such. They are however, perfect for use in extreme conditions; then only at a walking speed or just above. You can use snow chains over winter tyres to improve traction in deep snow and make winter tyres more effective when used this way.

3/ Snow chains must only be used on roads with fresh or compacted snow and at a walking pace or just above. They must not be left on and the tension should be checked regularly and at least at the manufacturers recommended interval. They are of no use at all on clear roads and although they can improve traction on white ice, regular use on ice will result in damage to your tyres!

As I said above, snow chains are not a replacement for winter tyres and should only be used as a temporary enhancement to grip and to get you out of or keep you out of trouble! If you damage your car using snow chains, then you haven't fitted and/or used them properly. If you damage your wheels or tyres using them, then you have the incorrect size or type of chains or you used them inappropriately.

An alternative to snow chains, are snow bags and similar soft devices. These can also get you out of a sticky situation, however they are not as good as chains. I've used snow bags in the past and they're OKish! Again, as with any device wrapped around your wheel; misuse or abuse will damage your vehicle! 

An important thing to keep in mind is; If you don't know how to use them properly, then don't use them until you do. If you've never driven in extreme conditions and think that the road conditions are outside of your comfort zone and experience, then get a lift, walk or stay at home (or wherever you happen to be)! Don't take unnecessary risks; this can lead to injury and in some case's, loss of life. Even professional drivers and old hands can get it very wrong! Don't make yourself into a statistic and don't be the driver, who blocks the road for everyone else! 

I would like to add; used correctly, there is less chance of damaging your car when using snow chains, than there is from not using them when needed! If you consider the risk from using chains is too high, then consider winter tyres if you can afford a set. Remember that snow tyres are only good during the month/weeks when its below 7°C outside!  As an alternative, have a look at the latest all-season tyres. Still not a cheap option and not as good as winter tyres, but an alternative for drivers that don't encounter snow and ice very often! 

For a bit of further reading, I've included a useful link below, or feel free to google it yourself!

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/winter-tires-snow-chains-in-europe.html#.XfdjwSinyf0

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DNC said:

Remember that snow tyres are only good during the month/weeks when its below 7°C outside!  As an alternative, have a look at the latest all-season tyres. Still not a cheap option and not as good as winter tyres, but an alternative for drivers that don't encounter snow and ice very often! 

For a bit of further reading, I've included a useful link below, or feel free to google it yourself!

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/winter-tires-snow-chains-in-europe.html#.XfdjwSinyf0

Not sure this is correct, I was told winter tyres (standard ones, not Nordic compound) can be used upto +20°c

The +7°c is the rule of thumb crossover point where winter tyres and summer tyres swap over as best

Although recent testing (using the new climatic test centre in Ivalo, Finland) suggests it is nearer +10 or +11°c in wet and and about +4°c on dry roads

Therefore using summer tyres in the wet below +11°c is not as good as all season or winter tyres

There is some confusion when using the term snow tyres, as some use it for European winter tyres (when true snow tyres are for areas that get months of laying snow, eg Nordic regions), Nordic winter tyres have a compound that is designed for use down to about -35°c so pointless in UK 

59 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Not sure this is correct, I was told winter tyres (standard ones, not Nordic compound) can be used upto +20°c

The +7°c is the rule of thumb crossover point where winter tyres and summer tyres swap over as best

Although recent testing (using the new climatic test centre in Ivalo, Finland) suggests it is nearer +10 or +11°c in wet and and about +4°c on dry roads

Therefore using summer tyres in the wet below +11°c is not as good as all season or winter tyres

There is some confusion when using the term snow tyres, as some use it for European winter tyres (when true snow tyres are for areas that get months of laying snow, eg Nordic regions), Nordic winter tyres have a compound that is designed for use down to about -35°c so pointless in UK 

Top and bottom of it. Yes and No. 

I think you maybe quoting from the recent report from Auto Express (also published in its sister publication across Europe) where they had to fudge their figures, due to incompatable weather conditions for full testing? The test had to make conclusions based on what they had, however made some interesting reading all the same. 

With regard to the new breed of All Season tyres, they're a good option for everyone with lives in an urban area or township. Unfortunately I still believe that they're no dice, if you live and work in the more rural areas of Northern England and Scotland. Use of winter tyres ( no confusion with Snow, Mud and Snow, AllTerrain, Rock Crawling or any other tyres for that matter), are a must have, if you live in a Northern climate and it gets into the subzero's. Being a professional driver and having driven large distances on all of the above, in conditions down to and around -27°C in Northern Sweden.  In my opinion, there is no substitute at this time, for a winter tyres in proper winter conditions. Ask anyone who lives off a B Road, north of Perth, Scotland! 

With regard to Snow tyres, you appear to have the confusion, as the discussion was with regard to the use of snow chains and slightly digressed into a discussion of winter tyres v snow chains and the use thereof. 

With regard to the cutoff point of +7°C or +10°C its a figure quoted widely within the tyre industry itself. Black Circles still publish +7°C as the cutoff. 

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres

2 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Good post there on Snow Chain use, about covers all.

But for many just to get out a carpark or the likes where there is ICE, Snow, Snow socks will do the job.

I totally agree.

There is nothing worse than being stuck 10 feet down an incline, from a perfectly good gritted road! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Exactly.

Handy to have them to save the bother of needing to tow someone out.

DSCN3136.JPG.88cc411f936ee4ebffd08884229a87c6.JPG.cb5bc46aa51792465da7ddcc0855071f.jpeg

DSCN3910.JPG

DSCN3922.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 043.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 041.JPG

Thats a nice wee truck you have there. I had on of the first L200 Warrior pickups way back when. It would clim anything and my favourite toy was the hand throttle. Stuck on your own, just let it crawl whilst putting the waffle boards and bridging ladders under the tyres!  I'll have to dig out the old photo's!

I've just arrived back home from Glenshee a few days back. Just scattering at that point, but looking reasonable for a dump of the white stuff! I did the trip in the Scala to give it a first run. All the gear in the boot, but not needed this time. Ordinarily I'd be there now, but other commitments wouldn't allow! 

• Like 1

Sadly the Jimny has gone and it is my first winter without one for 16 years.

A late start to the season and forecast not good later this week, but the season will start and the skiers will come in their cars on summer tyres, 

but then if the roads open to Glenshee or the Lecht they will get along just fine.

Maybe a bumper ski season in 2020.

Snowy today as on the webcam now, but the ground is not frozen so not good really.

100_5341.JPG

100_5339.JPG

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 13.58.26.png

Glenlivet. Jan 12 022.JPG

Edited by Roottootemoot

What a difference a few days makes! I have a few mates who rely on the industry, so It's good news indeed. 

I was going to post a photo I took of the Ski Centre from Cárn Aosda on 29th November, but I appear to not have posting rights yet! A massive contrast anyway. 

Edited by DNC
Detail.