Celtic Tuning 2.0d Mpg

llamamoo

Do a search, Celtic Tuning, there are several pages which might give you a clue or two.

Celtic at one time did a box with the original map and their remap, change over at the

flick of a switch.

14 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Do a search, Celtic Tuning, there are several pages which might give you a clue or two.

Celtic at one time did a box with the original map and their remap, change over at the

flick of a switch.

did a search but nothing on MPG

I reckon that the mpg will be similar with a remap. I haven't had a Celtic one but all the diesels I have done were at least the same, with a bit more on longer runs.

To be honest i'd be looking at what Skoda themselves did with the Yeti on the Greenline that you can do yourself:-

-Lower ride height via shorter springs

- Lowest rolling restistance tyres you can get 

I.e lower drag

3 hours ago, Burchy said:

As I've posted elsewhere, I haven't done much mileage sice the remap. but around town I'm showing 46mpg since it was done

Is that better or worse than before?

You cannot rely on the diesel Yeti's readout of MPG (or Range) after tuning it  - unless you've cross-checked it against a few brim-to-brim fills and calculated the real figure.

I fitted a plug-in tuning chip after 20,000 miles and ran with it for another 45,000 miles, and I keep a spreadsheet with every fill recorded and calculated.  Over these distances the average MPG after tuning was 1.5 better than before, as well as the car being far better to drive thanks to the extra torque.  However, the car's MPG figures from the Maxidot were much too optimistic with the chip fitted and the Range was always over-stated and unreliable.

From what I could find out, it appears that the VW software calculates the fuel used and hence MPG by using the throttle pedal sensor (which is the major factor determining how much fuel is to be injected).  The tuning chip interferes with the fuel rail pressure feedback, causing slightly more fuel to be injected but giving better performance, and the software is unaware of this so the resulting lighter throttle opening for the same road conditions fools the software into giving a better MPG than is actually the case.

I used to have the same chip fitted to my Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel (but with different settings) and that gave accurate readings for MPG with or without the chip because the car's software calculated the fuel actually being injected, not by using the throttle opening - a more complex way of doing it but more accurate.

It can, my Octavia was 9% overoptimistic, spot on once corrected.

But do you know what, I'm not happy seeing what is the true figure :sad:

So I put it back to how it was, it impressed me when I bought it and as it will be up for sale I am getting a few K's in before impressing the next buyer :blush:

It also made me realise on reflection that in 200K miles and 14 years of ownership of my MK1 it had been lying to me the whole time.

I have the Celtic remap on my 150hp 4x4 L&K, my mpg is in the high 40s to mid 50s. I now get 600-620 miles from a full tank, previously it was 550-575.

I’m pretty impressed with the results, which compare to the Revo figures I used to get from my previous Yetis.

Hope this helps.

I had my 140bhp tuned to 193bhp with Celtic, I did a trip to Blackpool and back from Portsmouth (and I did play a little bit) and got around 49mpg when I filled up, so not too bad

I've run TIBET III (170hp diesel) in standard for, with a CRD-T tuning box and a Shark remap.

The CRD-T certainly upped the power but was brutal in its delivery and if queueing in town in the winter would be over-fuelling I think as the engine management light would come on and I needed to use VCDS to switch it off.

Shark remap (via the box) on the other hand is nothing short of fantastic. Very subtle, noticeably smoother when cold. Should be in the region of a little over 200hp.  

Results (via brimming - not from the Maxidot):

Standard     8887 miles = 40.3 mpg

CRD-T      4112 miles = 40.0 mpg

Shark     38719 miles = 41.2 mpg (this was doing the same 15 mile each way daily journey to work as 'standard' and with the CRD-T)

Shark     24961 miles = 46.9 mpg (this was when the daily commute was 35 miles each way cross country and since when it's doing the longer journeys).

I now have a 4.5 mile each way commute so a Citigo Monte Carlo does that trip and does over 50 mpg true....

I tweaked the Maxidot MPG on the Yeti via VCDS (107%) and it is now within 1 mpg of brimming.

Obviously the Maxidot MPG when the CRD-T box was fitted was way out due to the way it works.

PS The above MPGs were all when driving in the same way, ie not using the extra power unless it warranted it (!). You don't get something for nothing but driven normally the Shark shows more MPG. Only downside is runs BP Ultimate or the Shell Nitro stuff - but it's well worth it! 

Edited by aerofurb

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update :  2.0diesel with celtic tuning 199bhp map. Did a 250 miles trip yeaterday consisting of mixed fast  motorway, dual carriageway and single roads in ordinary traffic and rush hour/  In otherwords a good overall trip.  Averaged 55.6 mpg according to maxidot, so I'm well happy with that.  The most satisfying improvement is the 70+ overtaking manoeuvre...