Octavia Mk2 Scout Rear Plastic Arch Replacement

hi

I need to replace the rear plastic wheel arch on my Scout.

It got damaged by some kind grounds maintenance person where I work.

What do I need to do to replace the arch (ordered new one from Skoda)?

I'm assuming that they are bonded on to the car (?) - if so what's the best product to use to clean the area and bond the new one?

I've seen that there is a cleaning/bonding kit you can buy from Skoda but the cost is crazy.

Any hints and tips much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

thanks for the reply @StickyMicky

Sorry no, the external plastic wheel arch trim that runs from the bumper to the sill - it's a Scout.

I removed the wheel arch liner to check for wheel arch trim  fixings but there doesn't appear to be any and given that Skoda list a cleaning and bonding kit, I assumed that it's bonded to the car body (with a single fixing at the sill).

OK, take a look at this parts explosion - https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2007-419/8/853-853010/

I believe you'll be needing the "ms" bonding agent to stick the trim to the body. the plastic adhesive to stick the wheel arch trim to the sill trim and the plastic rivet ditto.

The bonding agent is about 30 squid from VAG or about a fiver from your local motor factor.  The plastic to plastic adhesive can be replaced by the binding agent and I'll send you a couple of rivets FOC in exchange for an SAE; Skoda want silly money for them.

You'll need heat (hot air gun), patience and care to remove the original trim from the body and - I suspect - a degree of subtlety to separate the wheel arch trim from the sill trim without damaging the latter.  You'll also need to spray the new trim so you'll need some plastic primer and matching rattle can spray.

thanks @StickyMicky

Perfect

- sadly, I've already ordered the rivets with the trim but thank you for the kind offer.

The arches on my car are plain grey plastic so not painted - hopefully from your reply I just need :-

• the binding agent something like
    • Tiger seal (grey)
    • Sikaflex (grey)
  • and something to clean the off the old sealant 
    • perhaps something like body wipes or thinners to clean the surface with a plastic scraper

before fitting the new one.

My experience of the bonding agent was when replacing a wing, where I found gentle heat and a plastic scraper cleared most of it.  I finally cleared it down on the inside f the wing with an abrasive pad but I don't think you'll be wanting to take that approach!

I learned about the rivets whilst fettling the front bumper and have since sourced an "ample" quantity direct from China ...

Confirmed, the grey plastic wheel arch spats, lower sills and lower sections of the front and rear bumpers on the MkII Scout are indeed painted (the MkIII is different, the plastic is black and unpainted, but also textured).

Ordering a new one from Skoda will mean you'll receive it unpainted, i.e. in black unpainted plastic...

Here is one on eBay...

image.thumb.png.726f7c6d248d837e689a081fb68ac2df.png

image.png.c1bca61f67b7f11549bb58e49899b053.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-SCOUT-left-rear-wheelarch-trim-1Z9853085-7DL-New-genuine-Skoda-/172356069114 

Edited by silver1011

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the new arch this afternoon and thought I'd add a photo of the existing (damaged) arch and new one together, so apologies for taking the photo in the dark...

It really doesn't look like the ones on my car are painted - and given the age of the car the new one doesn't look a million miles away in terms of the base colour of the plastic...?

rear-arch-trim-comparison.jpg

rear-arch-trim-comparison-02.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures.

Was the new arch moulding supplied like that from the Skoda dealers parts department?

If so, then it does appear to either have been pre-painted, or is formed in grey plastic.

The MkII Scout has been around for a long time now, so there have been quite a few that have picked up parking scrapes, and even on mine after the wide ran up the back of another car, the grey 'coating' was removed to reveal black underneath.

Very strange.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the proper Octavia paint codes as I have had to re paint the Matt “grey” part of my scout front bumper after some one kindly scrapped it in a minor fender bender incident, luckily no actual damage it just rubbed the “grey” colour away to reveal the white factory under coat. Mines a 2010 Octavia scout but I’ve been told a few times that ALL scout models have the same colour trim.  
 It took a while as Skoda didn’t have a clue they could only confirm the metallic silver paint code... the only problem is I can’t give you the paint code yet as the rattle can is in my work van. 
 I will include some photos of the difference 

C5F9BA88-C958-419E-9DBB-A810A328BB96.jpeg

F75587AF-48E5-4D82-8AD6-4DCCFCEEF670.jpeg