Sat Nav Update

Hi, I have some questions about how to handle the sat nav update process please.

I downloaded ECE 1 2019/2020. Should I have got hold of ECE 1 2020 instead? It seems to cover an identical geographic area.

The SD card requires more space to take the download [the same amount as the card holds] so do I delete everything that is on there at present?

Is there an idiots guide somewhere as the YT video suggests the download will go straight onto the SD card [it does not] and the manual suggests that the download should be put onto a suitable USB device. I am officially confused of Dorset here.

I have taken a backup of the current files on the SD card.

I have put this in the Fabia MK3 section as that is the car I have. If this is wrong perhaps a Moderator could move it?

Thanks

R-

I guess i should do mine then as the update portals working again.

Bit confusing that, both files are the same size (on the web page anyway...)

I have heard though not done it myself that you can use another SD card and copy the update onto that, not sure how true that is.

Would be pain to mess up the original SD card, i think I'll take an image of mine before attempting an update just in case.

Not sure if the satnav goes away if you remove the card? I also heard that you don't actually need it inserted for the satnav to work.

Seems a bit odd that not sure if it true or not. I'll try it with mine later, see what happens...

There is a custom POI file with speed camera's you can load up as well. 

Edited by Gonzini

Ok - with help from my local dealer [by phone] I have managed to update my 2016 Amunsden Navigation. These are the steps I took for anyone else who is struggling.

If you get stuck your local dealer will do it for you - my local one charges £60 and you have to leave the car with them for 2 days [?].

• Remove your SD card from your car.
  • Unlock it and insert it into your PC [WIndows is easier]
  • Take a back-up and store in somewhere were you can find it later [desktop or a new folder] as insurance
  • Format your SD card - it should now be empty
  • Go to the Skoda Update Portal [it is not, it seems, always available] and enter your VIN
  • You will then be informed if there are any Navigation updates for your vehicle - if none, eject your SD, re-lock it and put it back in your car, otherwise =>
  • Select your region [my dealer did not know what the difference between ECE 1 2019/2020 and ECE 1 2020 might be - neither do I] and download
  • Get the download and copy/drag the "MAPS" file to the SD card [over 6,500 files - and it takes about 20 minutes, depending on internet speed]
  • When finished eject your SD card, re-lock it, and put it back in your car

Hope that helps - all advice given on a "at your own risk basis".

Incidentally, the latest update for my vehicle is dated 2018 - but you can't see that until you have downloaded it.

R-

Edited by RogerBest
Better clarity

1 hour ago, RogerBest said:

You will then be informed if there are any Navigation updates for your vehicle - if none, eject your SD, re-lock it and put it back in your car

Would a formatted, empty card be any use in the car?

Or do you need to reload the old map data? 😉

Thanks AG Falco

I wonder if you could use a different SD card then, or does it know its an 'official' Skoda card?

Think i saw ECE 1 2019/2020 on the version No. so i guess no point getting involved in this yet...

No, probably not.

My SD card had the "supplied as new" map data from 2015.  Only had the car a couple of months but I had noticed that several local speed limits, that I know have been changed within the last couple of years, were being displayed by the Sat Nav as the old limit. I've yet to see if the update has changed that.

R-

Hi

I have just successfully updated the SD card and the procedure I used was very much inline with Rodger Best's post

I used  the ECE 1 2020 file

After down loading from the Skoda Portal site, which took about 1 hour as I only have a 11 Mbps broadband connection.

I deleted the MAP file on the original Skoda SD and using WinZip unzipped the EC 1 2020 file directly to the SD card.

It card was recognised and loaded up, I have still to take the car out on the road to be able to check all the functions.

I will update if I find any problems

Purley out of interest I did try the same procedure using a Class 3 SD card formatted as Fat32

This was not recognised by the Navigation System.

I stand to be corrected, but it would appear that you have to use an original Skoda SD card to update the data  

John

Well done John, glad it helped.

I did read somewhere one here that there is in all likely-hood an "ID" file on the card meaning you can only use an original Skoda supplied card. I guess the objective is to prevent copies being made and sold thus denying Skoda the revenue. I expect someone has found a way around it though.

I have used my nav system since update and all appears OK - but I have yet to drive in the areas that had the speed limit errors.

Similarly I will update on here - either way.

R-

• 2 weeks later...

Erm - had a bit of a drive out over the weekend and noticed that on some roads [normal two lane carriageway] I get two speed limits. Also, on one occasion there was a no overtaking symbol with the red car on the left of the black one. Seems the wrong way around. Any thoughts? Have I got the wrong update [see post #1]? Thanks R-

Two Speed Limits.jpg

I commented on the double speed limit thing. Mines the same, i think I'm on the 2019 -2020 version. I'll take a pic later of the map version.

Some roads it doesn't even bother, like most of the M3!!

A bit useless really, they should look at the way Garmin do there satnav displays. Garmin worked perfect for me, just does what you need. Being a £500 option on the Fabia which is basically enabled by software installation as far as i can tell you would think they would have they're **** together as these systems have been in place for years!!

I have now driven over the routes which were previously showing the old speed limits and these are now corrected in this update. I did notice others that were not current but I suppose that is always going to be the case with limits changing all the time. R-