Cam belt change, the truth

Message this morning was that the visiting Skoda tech is working on it and it will be done by end of day. New message - car is going to Skoda workshop. 

Hope whatever happens it is sorted out good as before I took it in.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Car was returned the following day and it's running perfectly. My local agent's service manager  who was excellent throughout reduced my bill. The learning point I think is to take your car to a workshop who have plenty of experience with the engine - TSi 1500 ACT in my case.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I've got a 2010 Octavia 1.4 petrol, I bought it when it was 3 years old, I've never had the cam-belt changed or looked at, the car's done 110,000+ miles, serviced every year "I'm thinking only basic service/oil change", am I lucky or should I get it checked.......

20 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

No, the EA211 engines (like the 1.4) have a cambelt.

1 hour ago, mickg123 said:

I've got a 2010 Octavia 1.4 petrol, I bought it when it was 3 years old, I've never had the cam-belt changed or looked at, the car's done 110,000+ miles, serviced every year "I'm thinking only basic service/oil change", am I lucky or should I get it checked.......

2010 Octavia 1.4 is most likely the EA111 1.4tsi and has a camchain. Futhermore its a mk2 Octavia, this is an Octavia Mk3 forum. EA211 came in with the mk3

Having said that if his car's done 110,000 miles without a chain change, he's been extremely lucky given the history of the EA111 series. Bet it rattles on cold starts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xman said:

2010 Octavia 1.4 is most likely the EA111 1.4tsi and has a camchain. Futhermore its a mk2 Octavia, this is an Octavia Mk3 forum. EA211 came in with the mk3

Having said that if his car's done 110,000 miles without a chain change, he's been extremely lucky given the history of the EA111 series. Bet it rattles on cold starts.

No, no rattles, it's really quiet, and starts first turn of the key even when it's -zero in winter, if it was rattling I'd be getting the garage to check it out....

SO, is it a camchain or cambelt ? .....

Off the V5,......variant..(AACAXAX01.....version..NFD7FD7AM006..

it's an octavia elegance TSI S0A..May 2010......

Edited by mickg123