Door warning lights

westie38

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the Red front door reflectors with working illuminated lights as per the Kodiaq? Just wondering if there is any wiring there in the existing door looms.

Thanks.  

It is very unlikely ther wiring will be there, the complex options available on modern cars these days means the cost of routing unnecessary wires and connectors is rare.

Given your Edition model is a pretty high spec as standard, if yours aren't illuminated it might be that none of the Karoq trims get illuminated door lights, which might make a retrofit a little more complex.

Actually it might be possible - but you'd also need to code the lights afterwards.

Lots of other cars have been upgraded this way - the first example I came across was here. Not the same car but at least it'll show some sort of guidance.

I did it on a Tiguan and the wiring was largely in place.

Thanks for the replies guys. Thought that it might be the case. The write up about the retrofit looks quite complex. Just wishful thinking on my part that I could pop out the reflector and there might be something useful behind it! I was in my dealership on Friday looking at them on a Kodiaq and thought they looked quite cool.

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Might still be worth popping the reflector out of the door card to have a sneaky peak...

The 'wiring' for the one I did was only to the plug inside the door. The lights came with suitable (already wired) connectors to fit that plug.

• Like 1

Looks to me as if the wiring is there in our SEL, or at least you could possible 'piggy-back' onto the existing wiring ..... this rather poor photo taken through the hole shows the connector for the puddle light just behind the red reflector.

It appears to have a spare connection on the top?

IMG_1098.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, finally got around having a look behind the red reflectors as per Berisford's photo above. What looks to be a spare connection on the SKODA downlight logo is just the top of the clip connector. But, I would think it would be fairly easy to splice into the two wires feeding the downlight if they were available. Not sure if the Kodiaq red door open LED's are slightly larger than the Karoq reflectors. 

From a safety point of view I think it would have been much better to have the illuminated door open lights rather than gimmicky (but nice) SKODA downlights - why not have both given the minimal costs involved?

• Like 1

Good find. Yeah they are a bit on the large size, I think I'd hoof them of the door as well! Not convinced with the white version though, they're more like headlights than warning lights. I think I'll get a price for Kodiaq from a Skoda parts department, if not a breakers yard, there's one or two showing on Google.

Thanks again Berisford 👍

• 3 years later...
On 17/11/2019 at 20:47, westie38 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the Red front door reflectors with working illuminated lights as per the Kodiaq? Just wondering if there is any wiring there in the existing door looms.

Thanks.  

Hi,

how this story ends? Connector beens there and everything works?

Have a read through this thread in the Karoq section:

INSTALLATION OF THE WELCOME AND EMERGENCY LIGHTS (RED) OF THE FRONT DOORS.

Really easy mod to do :thumbup:

18 hours ago, westie38 said:

Have a read through this thread in the Karoq section:

INSTALLATION OF THE WELCOME AND EMERGENCY LIGHTS (RED) OF THE FRONT DOORS.

Really easy mod to do :thumbup:

Sorry, when I do a search on this all I get is this current thread.

Do you have a link?

tom

This might be better: Read down to my bit as it's not really necessary to take the door trim apart. The link to the parts are at the top of the thread.