Fuel consumption.

Taggs

Yes Scot5, you're most likely right, air temperature is probably the most important factor affecting economy after having 5-6000 miles on the clock, other things being equal - probably run in by that mileage in January 2018, going by what others say.  I couldn't remember what last January weather was like, or even December just gone for that matter.

I do find a wet day worsens consumption by a few mpg too - can't recall how the weather panned out last year month by month, or may be that should even be day by day, in order to factor it in to the calcs - but life's too short.  Hilly conditions along with driving style & traffic conditions + optimism of indicated mpg of course also.

I was indeed reading too much into the graphs and also in my haste I hadn't realised MJ1s last shown monthly mpg figure was for December not this January, which of course is not yet over.

MJs difference between January last year and September monthly overalls is roughly 38.5 v 47.5mpg - 9mpg difference, quite alot.  On the 1.5 DSG MPG thread, MJ said he improved his driving style beginning of August 2018 on motorways, sticking to 65mph, - on face value worth 1mpg better on overall monthly mpg, which he'd said earlier includes mainly local driving (mpg improvement on motorways bits alone would of course have been significantly greater).  47.5mpg overall on mainly short local runs, if that still applied in September, is very impressive for an auto, even 43mpg overall in December not at all bad.

On the 1.5 DSG forum in November 2018 MJ, with his 1.5 DSG, said he'd averaged 39mpg in the 1st 3000 miles.  Looking at his Oct/Nov combined this year average 44mpg - could this improvement be mainly down to the running-in factor?

I suspect my driving mix is more long distance weighted.  I got a 44mpg Amundsen indicated overall in my 1st 3000miles in my 1.0 DSG, but as well as October / November, that included August & September - seemingly the most economical months temperature wise.  On the other hand this was when my car engine was brand new.  I do recall being slightly worried by the economy in the first week or two in August compared with my previous well run in 1.2 DSG Yeti, but soon became rather more relaxed as the Karoq consumption gradually showed a bit of improvement over that Yeti.  I'm looking forward to seeing what consumption I'll get this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Onwards & upwards - best mpg yet on my return from Bristol today in my now 6 month (4,705miles) old 1.0 SE Tech DSG with GPF - did 53mpg door to door.  A very smooth drive through Bristol Centre with very little stopping for traffic lights, I set ACC to 75mph (71 say in reality) on reaching the M4.  Then at the start of the Smart Motorway upgrade before Reading, reduced this to 53mph for this long stretch & then the last 40mins round the M25 I reset to 65mph (62 say in reality).  I did some modest speeding up here and there to get past slightly slower traffic.  Anyhow, much better economy than ever I got from the 1.2 Yeti and more relaxing travelling too.

There was rather more traffic than my previous return trip reported here a month ago (when set at a low 65 on 1st half of M4 yet then I only got 48mpg).  A bit damp at first as before, but a bit warmer @ 12+*C, wind direction not known.  On leaving the M25 there's a substantial uphill through Epping Forest - it read 53mpg at the motorway exit and dropped slightly going through the forest, but just about got back to 53 on the short downhill stretch to home.  Going out to Bristol this time was less impressive - set still to 75mph, I only got 46mpg - a bit more traffic on the M25 and I was rather more reckless in my overtaking, getting up to 90 a few times.

3 weeks previously I'd reported here I got 50mpg on a 30mile return trip from Beds.  It actually read 53mpg at the M25 exit, but the hilly journey through Epping Forest had reduced this to 50mpg by the time I reached home.  Just shows the effect of the 'economy reserve' one builds up on a 150mile journey, compared to a 30mile one.

• Like 1

Not quite offski - I said in previous posts that my mpg submissions (as for quite a few others here) are what the car is telling me.  I haven't done proper brim to brim calcs so far (though even that isn't a 100% guide).  However initial approximate tests hardly done under exacting conditions, suggest the car is about 5% optimistic, so that means I maybe got 48mpg - still not bad as it isn't summer and arguably some running in to do (my Yeti was a suspected 10% optimistic).  Long term average is shown as a little over 44mpg (=40mpg?).  Note I'm not a mad driver, but I reckon I keep up a good, but safe speed - wouldn't have bought a 1.0 version of the Karoq, if I was a tear-away.

It is easy to drive and get a great Average MPG showing on the car at the end of a trip.

Maybe fill your tank and take a gallon can of fuel with you and drive 50 miles and then if you can not get the gallon to go in the tank you are getting over 50 mpg.

Or just brim the car and then brim again after 50 miles or there abouts.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Oops - I got my calcs wrong - being 5% optimistic would adjust my long distance journey consumption yesterday to 50+mpg and long term average to 42mpg.

Offski, I'll think about that idea of taking a gallon can of fuel to do more accurate economy calcs, but in danger of getting too obsessive about mpg.  Might be easier to do a few fuel pump refills v mileage done calcs & maybe that's good enough.  I've taken to reporting here my consumption on journeys occasionally, just as others have done, hoping it might be of interest.  Still in awe of  how Shy manages has impressive figures in a 1.5 - I think I remember correctly that someone here, a while ago, reported nearly 60mpg in a 1.0 DSG on a specific journey.  Maybe I'll get near that come summer and when well run in.

4 minutes ago, croquemonsieur said:

Oops - I got my calcs wrong - being 5% optimistic would adjust my long distance journey consumption yesterday to 50+mpg and long term average to 42mpg.

Offski, I'll think about that idea of taking a gallon can of fuel to do more accurate economy calcs, but in danger of getting too obsessive about mpg.  Might be easier to do a few fuel pump refills v mileage done calcs & maybe that's good enough.  I've taken to reporting here my consumption on journeys occasionally, just as others have done, hoping it might be of interest.  Still in awe of  how Shy manages has impressive figures in a 1.5 - I think I remember correctly that someone here, a while ago, reported nearly 60mpg in a 1.0 DSG on a specific journey.  Maybe I'll get near that come summer and when well run in.

Could feel my ears burning so I thought I would share this with you. Just filled my new to me Superb 272 (only 268bhp 4WD weighs 1,627kg) and the maxidot was showing 39.0mpg for the 495 miles I had driven. Filled with Tesco Momentum £73.00 (paid only £1.289 per litre) with 56.63 litres and the actual economy on my third tank was an incredible 39.73mpg and that was all commuting 27 miles each way.

hi all car did not do that bad at 8000k now on a 6 months old car lots of snow in Scotland last week glen Nevis  ben nevis

4x4 lots of fun moments a

48.9 from lowestoft up all the way 

53 around Scotland 

49 on cruse with eco on way home 

getting better slowly 

1 minute ago, gSvrs said:

hi all car did not do that bad at 8000k now on a 6 months old car lots of snow in Scotland last week glen Nevis  ben nevis

4x4 lots of fun moments a

48.9 from lowestoft up all the way 

53 around Scotland 

49 on cruse with eco on way home 

getting better slowly 

Would help us if you had the car you are talking about in your profile otherwise people might think you are talking about a 2.4 litre V6 Audi A4.

21 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Would help us if you had the car you are talking about in your profile otherwise people might think you are talking about a 2.4 litre V6 Audi A4.

karoq  sel 2.0 tdi 4x4 150 

2019 my

• Thanks 1

OK, shamed into doing a preliminary brim to brim check - half empty tank of petrol in my MY19 Karoq SE Tech 1.0 DSG with GPF 6+ months old & coming up to 5,000miles.  This included my above described recent return trip from Bristol where car showed 53mpg + a medium distance trip & back to M-in-L (45mpg shown) + say 25miles of local driving spread over 2-3 days.

Karoq Gauge said  47.7mpg from last fill-up at Bristol having done 225.6miles - I managed to get 22.42 litres into the tank today = 4.93 gallons and that comes out at 45.7mpg for mixed bag of driving but dominated by the 150mile long trip.  This indicates that the Karoq gauge could be just over 4% optimistic - I said 5% before.  I'm pretty sure the mileometer is close enough to actual miles to ignore.  I'll do a series of more serious brim to brims, maybe in spring/summer.

Just out of interest, the local trip today was about 12miles overall including stopping engine for petrol and then 4 more stops of say 1/2hr durations getting out of the car to dump a car load of rubbish at tip + various bits of shopping.  Car's Gauge showed for the 12miles broken journey, an average 30.9mpg - this involved 3-4 miles driving through Epping Forest on narrow slow roads and fairly hilly up & down but other 8 or so miles very flat - some hold ups getting out of car parks & a few traffic lights - roads wet & speeds varied 20-40mph - I think that covers all the parameters.  I doubt any of my previous cars including my 1.2 Yeti would have beaten that.  I did 2 other Karoqs in the Tesco car park, one in the colour I wanted, a lovely creamyish white, car looks really good in that colour, but my metallic red colour is still very nice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

I'm pretty sure the mileometer is close enough to actual miles to ignore. 

Well, it used to be possible to calibrate a mileometer using the white posts at the side of a motorway, 16 posts to the mile.

Two weeks ago used the wife's Karoq for the return 225 mile trip to Heathrow Terminal 4 and it averaged 53.9mpg (helped by the 50/60mph roadworks between J15/J13 on the M1). On Saturday used her 1.5TSi manual SEL model again and this time it averaged 57.0mpg.

Ken, I noted in my message dated 3rd January that that's how I checked the mileometer (& will do speedometer soon - 1 mile takes 60secs at 60mph).  Posts used to be at 1 Furlong intervals,16 per mile - now at 100m intervals which is near enough the same as 1 Furlong - all from my I-Spy Book about life ion the Motorway.  The posts have red reflectors.  I believe one can use Waze or TomTom & that maybe more accurate, but I recall some years mentally estimating that the post method would be within 1% accurate - hopefully no senior moment then.

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Two weeks ago used the wife's Karoq for the return 225 mile trip to Heathrow Terminal 4 and it averaged 53.9mpg (helped by the 50/60mph roadworks between J15/J13 on the M1). On Saturday used her 1.5TSi manual SEL model again and this time it averaged 57.0mpg.

Note your engine has been remapped.  Surely that would throw doubts about the average fuel consumption shown. 

Would be good to know the calculated figure fill to fill.

tom

14 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Note your engine has been remapped.  Surely that would throw doubts about the average fuel consumption shown. 

tom

No the Karoq is standard my Superb has been mapped.

14 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

tom

Why should it? The computer works by measuring fuel flow and distance covered. Neither sensor is modified by a remap.

• Like 1

I am growing more disillusioned with my Karoq 1.5 SE L every day. We were away last week and drove to and from our destination ( approx 235 miles each way ) at an average speed of 65 mph and the best I could achieve was 40.6 mpg. Around town it gives approx 32 mpg but the biggest disappointment was that the engine was gutless, which seems to be since the update I had during the last service. This makes overtaking rather dangerous as it holds back for ages before finally starting to pull.

While I was away I drove my daughters 7 yr old Qashqai 1.5 TDI and to be honest it was better all round. Apart from handling the rough roads of Essex far better than my Karoq, it was quieter and had far more power. I didn't really want to get back in my car to come home. Very disappointing for a £28K car. I think it may have to go. 

4 hours ago, Rockinghorse said:

I am growing more disillusioned with my Karoq 1.5 SE L every day. We were away last week and drove to and from our destination ( approx 235 miles each way ) at an average speed of 65 mph and the best I could achieve was 40.6 mpg. Around town it gives approx 32 mpg but the biggest disappointment was that the engine was gutless, which seems to be since the update I had during the last service. This makes overtaking rather dangerous as it holds back for ages before finally starting to pull.

While I was away I drove my daughters 7 yr old Qashqai 1.5 TDI and to be honest it was better all round. Apart from handling the rough roads of Essex far better than my Karoq, it was quieter and had far more power. I didn't really want to get back in my car to come home. Very disappointing for a £28K car. I think it may have to go. 

A total of 470 miles at an average speed of 65mph?  What sort of speeds were you travelling at to reach that figure? Unless you were driving non-stop and your start + finish locations were next to motorway junctions, you'd have to be travelling way over the speed limit to average 65mph. Add to that it's winter, it was stormy conditions, if you were averaging 65mph and your car returned 40.6mpg...  that's pretty damned good going.

But if you think the 1.5tsi engine is gutless then there's either something far wrong with your engine or it's your driving style because with 150bhp, that's 45 bhp more than the Nissan. ( or 40bhp more if the 7 year old car produced 110bhp ).  By the very naure of diesel, it will feel more powerful under certain conditions ( at lower revs ) but with the Nissan 1.5tdi has a 0-60 time of approx 12secs whereas the Karoq is 8.6secs  - that's a full 3.5 secs quicker.

I'm just wondering if you're downshifting too soon in the Karoq and letting the engine labour. That theory is backed up when you say overtaking is dangerous... you say it holds back for ages before pulling? Not if you're in the right gear it doesn't.  What driving Mode are you using?

Sorry I'm an idiot!! I meant to say that I didn't exceed 65 mph accept when overtaking. As for my driving style I am very gentle on the accelerator and did most of the journeys in Eco mode and by being very watchful of the traffic ahead would slip into Normal mode in good time to make the pass. As I have said in previous forums I have never being impressed with the power of this 1.5 engine as my previous car was an Octavia 1.2 which was far more lively and way more economical even when fully loaded. My car is now even worse since the dealership did an update which was supposed to sort a problem I didn't have in the 1st place as mine is DSG and the hesitant fault only applied to manuals.

My neighbour has the same engine in his 2019 A3 and he thinks its rubbish compared to his 2016 A3 1.4 which was much livelier and more economical. Added to that the 1.5 engine uses oil which none of my previous cars ever did between oil changes. I have owned VAG  cars for 25 years and this one is by far the worst I have ever had but the dealership advises me that everything checks out fine.

When I was looking for an SUV I looked at everything on the market and just preferred the styling of the typical VAG Karoq but living with it has been a disappointment.