Replacement tyre advice

Just saw Penguin's response as I was about to submit. Given he has the Sportline, sounds like sensible advice from a current owner. My comments may still be helpful so I've left them.

I can't give any specific advice, but a few questions that might guide those who can.

I'm assuming it is the fronts that need replacing - can you confirm?

16k sounds incredibly low for replacement - do you have a "spirited" driving style?

Have they worn evenly? Is it a tracking problem?

If your driving style is spirited, would harder-wearing (which I define as lasting longer but not providing such good performance) really be what you want?

FYI after 34k the P7s on the back of mine are still over 5mm (more's the pity - I'd love an excuse to get rid of them). I replaced the fronts earlier this year with Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3s when a friendly kerb took a gouge out of one of the P7s. Couldn't be happier - but I was after reduced road noise and increased grip rather than longevity. FYI mine is an L&K on 18s.

• Like 1

Hi,

I also need some new 19 inch tyres for my Mk 3, L and K Estate. The factory fit P7 Pirelli Cinturatos have lasted for 32k miles on the front.

Noisy, thumpy tyres, not great for rural mud, rain, mpg and potholes. Mysteriously expensive to replace for a pretty mediocre tyre whose main attribute is seemingly their longevity.

Has anyone found some better all-year or winter tyres for the 19 inch wheels? 

The increasingly gloomy Impression I get is that I should pay for 18 inch wheels for better tyre noise and grip. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about what choices I have?  Thanks.

Why are some people obsessed with not swapping tyres front-rear after about 13-14k miles then saying I have 2 worn tyres and another 2 that don’t need changing yet.  
Then go on to ask what 2 should I buy so I have a mix of tyre types.

If you want summer tyres then Michelin Pilot sport4 as already suggested (but not for all year use)

If you want long lasting tyres assume they will be very hard compound and not grippy in winter, but only go for Eco summer tyres if you swap to winter set.  It is not possible to make a tyre that is grippy and not too soft when hot, but doesn’t get hard when cold

If you want all seasons (might not all be available in size required) then my suggestion is Goodyear Vector 4season Gen 2, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Michelin Cross Climate, Continental all season contact.

For winters : Continental (TS860  or 860S) Michelin Alpin 6, Goodyear Ultragrip (performance+ or 9+), Bridgestone blizzak LM005

• Like 2

On 30/11/2019 at 07:55, SurreyJohn said:

Why are some people obsessed with not swapping tyres front-rear after about 13-14k miles then saying I have 2 worn tyres and another 2 that don’t need changing yet.  
Then go on to ask what 2 should I buy so I have a mix of tyre types.

If you want summer tyres then Michelin Pilot sport4 as already suggested (but not for all year use)

If you want long lasting tyres assume they will be very hard compound and not grippy in winter, but only go for Eco summer tyres if you swap to winter set.  It is not possible to make a tyre that is grippy and not too soft when hot, but doesn’t get hard when cold

If you want all seasons (might not all be available in size required) then my suggestion is Goodyear Vector 4season Gen 2, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Michelin Cross Climate, Continental all season contact.

For winters : Continental (TS860  or 860S) Michelin Alpin 6, Goodyear Ultragrip (performance+ or 9+), Bridgestone blizzak LM005

For the Sportline all-season choice is very limited; Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Maxxis AP2 are all there is from the recognised brands. The Quatrac 5 is a good tyre IME, wear rate is insane. I have a set that have covered 20k+ miles and still have ~6mm of tread.  

I also rate the GY Vectors too. We have those on the Fabia and also previously on our Golf. Great in snow and on ice but sadly not available in 235/40 R19.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

For the Sportline all-season choice is very limited; Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Maxxis AP2 are all there is from the recognised brands. The Quatrac 5 is a good tyre IME, wear rate is insane. I have a set that have covered 20k+ miles and still have ~6mm of tread.  

I also rate the GY Vectors too. We have those on the Fabia and also previously on our Golf. Great in snow and on ice but sadly not available in 235/40 R19.  

Skoda have done a great job of choosing tyre sizes for the Superb (both 18" and 19") that are both expensive and unavailable in many brand/models... 😞

My last TSI220 L&K (18") had Pirelli P7 fitted at the factory, these were terrible for both noise, grip and life, The Premacy 4 that replaced them were much better from all three points of view. My new TSI272 L&K has Sport Contacts fitted which so far seem similar to the Michelins -- when they wear out I'll probably replace them with CrossClimate+, the summer tyres (P7) were hilariously bad last time we had snow and I suspect we'll be getting more of it...

• Like 1

I rotated my wheels a while back as I noticed the fronts were wearing at a higher rate obviously. 

Both tyres are wearing at a similar rate and the wear is evenly distributed across the tyre. Alignment was checked during last service only a week ago so the wear rate may be my driving. My mpg is low. 

On 29/11/2019 at 19:27, penguin17 said:

Michelin PS4.  Hands down the best tyres I've ever used. 

Agreed. I had PS 4S fitted all around, and then last week replaced the fronts with PS4 as they were on offer at Kwik Fit.

In my opinion the PS 4S tyres are the best I've ever experienced in terms of wet/dry/cornering grip, but smallest size available is 19"

However, after a week of the PS4 on the front I think they're better suited to a land barge like the Superb.

The 4S version has a much harder sidewall so cornering is better but I don't corner that fast in the Superb, plus it makes them a tad louder too 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 19:06, Whenwillilearn said:

I have two tyres due replacement soon so I'm keen for some advice on harder wearing tyres than the Pirelli tyres factory fitted. 

My car has covered 16k miles from new and is a 2.0Tsi Sportline on 19“ wheels. 

Thanks 

Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/40R19 96Y C C 70dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m142b0s10015p150096/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_-_235_40_R19_96Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Vredestein Quatrac 5 235/45/R18 98Y C C 70dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m141b0s9174p150064/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_-_235_45_R18_98Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Edited by Carlston