Heated Windows

Pete13

Just took delivery of my new Skoda Karoq and am happy so far except for the front and rear heated windows that don't appear to be working. Every morning so far has been frosty but although the dash lights are showing that they're on, I still have to scrape off the ice. Should I take it back?

The heated screen on my old Yeti was utter pish, could take in the order of 15 minutes to clear, was more likely the heaters that were clearing the screen by then (diesel takes a bit longer to warm up), had it checked and main dealer said mine was fully functional... So didn't bother opting for it on my new kodiaq after the disappointment of it on my Yeti, however others have commented that they are quite good. That certainly was not my experience of them.

Sorry prob not very relevant for your OP. 

If both front and rear show no sign of working however, you may indeed have an issue.

My petrol kodiaq (no heated screen) typically generates enough heat to reasonably clear the windscreen within 3 or 4 minutes with a good skin of frost (down to -4 or - 5 so far this year, am interested to see how it does in minus double digits!) 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Thanks 1

I start my Kodiaq press the front and rear window heater buttons and by the time I’ve scraped the side windows ( 1-2 mins max) the front and rear windows are totally clear of frost, so it sounds like you have a problem that needs investigation, so yes take it back.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

I start my Kodiaq press the front and rear window heater buttons and by the time I’ve scraped the side windows ( 1-2 mins max) the front and rear windows are totally clear of frost, so it sounds like you have a problem that needs investigation, so yes take it back.

Same here. Starts melting the ice in seconds

• Thanks 1

The Karoq uses a different system to the Kodiaq.

I understand from a previous thread that the Karoq has the traditional or older technology visible heating elements in the glass, much like the Yeti.

The Kodiaq uses a clear film in the screen, so no visible lines, but an unusual green / yellow tinge to the colour of the glass when viewed under certain light conditions.

I can only affirm the performance of the heated windscreen in my Kodiaq, it clears even the toughest frosts in less than a minute.

This was a light frost and I was too slow to get my phone camera out, but I went from this to this in less than 15 seconds...

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI - This morning there was rime ice on the windscreen, which was melted enough to wipe off within 30 seconds. My heated screen is the fine wires type.

The rear window was showing the melted lines of frost in about a minute and 2-3 minutes later was melted enough to wipe off.

I think your Karoq has a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, catalingrigorescu said:

am o problema cu dezaburirea spate, contactul de masa de la filtrul de radio este topit am inlocuit papucul de contact dar firul se incige a mai patit cineva asa ceva

Translates to:

"I have a problem with the back defrosting, the mass contact from the radio filter is melted I replaced the contact slip but the thread gets stuck, someone else suffered something like this"

Sorry but I can't help as I am not having any poroblems with my heated rear window.

Neil

2 hours ago, Pete13 said:

Took car into dealership and they told me heated rear window was working OK. So I thanked them for confirming it's a rubbish hrw.

What about the front window, thought that wasn't working?

Wonder how they tested the window? Just because there's electricity going thru it doesn't mean to say the elements are working. Many moons ago I had a windscreen replaced on a Focus. It was almost a year before I needed to use it and only discovered then it was a dud. ( which they replaced again foc).

This sounds so condescending and it's not meant to be, but when you say the lights are on - you're defo using the correct buttons? Is the engine running when you use them?

The top button on D is the front screen, the lower button on E the rear.

heatedscreen.jpg.d87b5af576d96ecf47c2e085cffcfefd.jpg

Just thinking aloud...   I believe both windows have timers, i.e. they auto switch off after a set period ( 10mins? ). I wonder if it's somthing to do with the timer? Perhaps it's switching off too soon.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, catalingrigorescu said:

nu are treaba cu butoanele si cu timpul de oprire am fost in service si au gasit contactul de la luneta si firul de masa topite  care au fost inlocuite dar contactul de la luneta tot se incinge imi este frica sa nu ia foc

English would be nice unless you are hoping for an answer in Romanian.;)

Yes Scot, both lights on and engine running. Not going to take it back to dealership and wait hours. I suspect they'll just say the same thing. It is really the worst hrw I've ever encountered. The front windscreen does not have an element, it just puts the blowers on full blast.

3 hours ago, Pete13 said:

Yes Scot, both lights on and engine running. Not going to take it back to dealership and wait hours. I suspect they'll just say the same thing. It is really the worst hrw I've ever encountered. The front windscreen does not have an element, it just puts the blowers on full blast.

Ah, so you don't actually have the heated front screen?

If you don't have the icon circled in red then you don't have the heated windscreen...

image.png.de0d3bd24c3f7b799b59b3fa373b03d4.png

The button highlight in yellow, as you mentioned, only directs air to the windscreen and increase the speed of the fan. If the engine is cold then all it will do is blow cold air onto the windscreen.

Some other Skoda models use small ceramic elements in the air vents at the base of the windscreen to warm the air before it reaches the screen.

With all due respect to those who may have cleaned their windows. If your glass is dirty and it may not be obvious that the glass is dirty as it is a film that builds up, it can have a dramatic impact on how long it takes the element to work.

3 hours ago, Danny 57 said:

The dirty film acts as an insulator thereby not letting the heat out easily and melting the ice/frozen snow/snow. Used t see it a lot on hire cars.

If there is a dirty film then surely it rests on the side of the heating element that faces in to the boot? How does that affect the performance of the side of the heating element which is fixed to the glass - that's the side that melts snow.

Defo high risk of damaging the element when you clean the rear window thus affecting the performance but wouldn't have thought a dirty film would make any difference? Then again I have no experience of this - it's only a theory. Anyway given the OP has a new car, it's unlikely to be the cause.

Edited by Guest