New battery advice

Hi everyone.

I have my car since 2017, and my car battery shows signs of ageing. I do not know when my car had the battery changed as it was three years old already when I bought it, and I do not think the previous owner ever changed it. If I calculate and if it is right, my battery was not replaced since it left the factory, which was in 2014.
My question is: how long did your battery last after you bought your vehicle?  Do you think it is time for me to change it?
If I want to change the battery, which brand or model do you recommend or use? I want to specify I have an Octavia MK 3 Elegance with Start-Stop system. 

Thank you

4 hours ago, decebal said:

Hi everyone.

I have my car since 2017, and my car battery shows signs of ageing. I do not know when my car had the battery changed as it was three years old already when I bought it, and I do not think the previous owner ever changed it. If I calculate and if it is right, my battery was not replaced since it left the factory, which was in 2014.
My question is: how long did your battery last after you bought your vehicle?  Do you think it is time for me to change it?
If I want to change the battery, which brand or model do you recommend or use? I want to specify I have an Octavia MK 3 Elegance with Start-Stop system. 

Thank you

Yuasa make two series of stop-start batteries, the 7000 series and the 9000 series. The 9000 series are their top of the range. Maybe the Yuasa YBX9096 would be suitable? Available for around £114 on ebay. Maybe you could measure the length, width, and height of your current battery to compare with this one.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx9096.html

Yuasa YBX9096

Performance

Voltage 12V

Capacity 70Ah

Cold Cranking Amps 760A

Dimensions

Length 278mm

Width 175mm

Height 190mm

Edited by Carlston

I had to change my 2015 Scout battery in December 2018 as although not completely knackered if parked up for more than 3 days it would go flat.  I went for a Halfords advanced start/stop battery.  It retails at £157 but with a trade card came in circa £120 from memory and had no issues after fitting it.

What ageing signs is it showing?

7 hours ago, decebal said:

Yes but what engine?? that makes quite a difference to the requirement. 

Been covered lots of times like HERE and HERE just have a search.

FWIW for me it would be Varta 096 Silver Top AGM 70Ah no question. Search for the best price but I have used Tayna a few times and they are cheap with prompt delivery

If you have the smaller battery fitted then upgrade to the above. HERE is a good write up

Make sure it gets coded for the new battery

Beware many places will suggest the smallest battery possible for your car because it means they come up best on price. Just put the 096 in and have done with it

• Like 1

Currently there's ebay 20% off voucher code, so you can order on there (for example CarParts4Less or Tayna) and get cheaper price. 

I recently bought and changed battery for my wife's car this way. Because 12v battery test during service showed it can't deliver rated CCA, and being wife's car, doesn't want her getting stranded. Exide premium model for cheaper than Tayna website selling Exide normal model. Being an EV, Premium grade 12v battery was only £50 for battery with 5 year warranty.

For my dirty diesel, with Stop/start and needing to be expensive AGM, it'll cost over £100, close to £150. So I'm not going to change it, just live with it until I can get a long range EV. I'll hook it up to maintenance charger whenever it's parked for more than few days. I've a 12v booster pack just-in-case. Total cost of the two: £50, and both works on future cars with 12v systems, including near-future EV's. 

For reference, it's a '63 reg Octavia with 2.0l diesel, still on original battery but it is show its age. Stop/start no longer stopping the engine during last winter before I started using maintenance charger. Some days can see the lights dim as engine cranks. It now lives on smart maintenance charger, and everything works great, no longer feel battery is getting old. 

I've also had the battery tested at ATS a few months ago, the tester came back all green. So I hope to maintain it until I can get rid of my last ICE car. 

I've got the same car as you and it was still on the original battery.  Showed a few signs recently of not having a great deal of reserve capacity, so decided to swap it out.

For an easy life I used Halfords and they fitted their 096 AGM battery with a 5 year guarantee.  I does need coding to the car or else it will fry within 12 months ( acording to them)  £182 fitted and coded.  Might be more than some places, but heyho it was a drive in and drive out job.  Still cheaper than a Skoda Stealer

Edited by Burchy