KESSY Fun - Car Locked with Keys Inside

kerbero5

I can't work out whether this is a design fault, or failure on my part....but either way I don't think the car is acting the way intended!

1. Drive to shop, screaming child in back
  2. Keys in back pocket, realise i'm sitting on them and take them out onto the passenger seat
  3. Kid screaming more, park up, get out and close my door
  4. Remove kid from back seat close door
  5. Just as I go to get the keys of passenger seat, car beeps and locks - wingmirrors for some reason don't auto fold in
  6. Try every door and the boot....i can see the keys on the passenger seat definitely in range of the 1.5m sensor advertised
  7. Car stays locked

Luckily my wife was only a 10 minute walk away :) but does anyone know what happened here? I can only think the car didn't detect the key in range for some reason because surely with the key in range and my hand on the door, KESSY should have unlocked it?

I’ve come across this before and I think it’s down to if the lock button is pressed with one or more doors open it starts the lock proses regardless of where the key is and when all doors close it locks , we tried this at work on VW vehicles but not Skoda but I can’t see the difference    

Most likely as above comments... As normally it should not be possible to lock the car with the keys inside it but as has been said you have almost certainly started the locking process then when you shut the last door the car locked. 

Normal behaviour, it's in the manual... 

"If one of the doors is closed after the vehicle has been locked and the key with which the vehicle was locked remains in the passenger compartment, the vehicle will be automatically unlocked. After automatically unlocking, the turn signal lights will flash four times. If no door is opened within 45 seconds, the vehicle is automatically locked again."

It sounds like that you've inadvertently hit the lock button on the key fob with one of the doors open. You've closed the drivers door (the car knows not to lock), but then you haven't opened the drivers door, or any other door again quickly enough. Therefore the car has assumed you've walked away and forgotten to lock the car, thus locking the key inside.

The time it took you to get your kid out of the car and get around to the passenger side door to retrieve the key was longer than the time built in to the system for automatically locking.

• Like 3

As above, it's common with VAG and in my personal opinion, a design flaw with KESSY.  Why anyone would wish to lock car keys in their car is beyond my comprehension. If you have left keys inside the car and the doors are about to lock, at the very least the car should pre-warn you.

I didn't realise it was only 45sec, I'd always assumed it was 2min, or at least it used to be on VW's. Thanks for pointing that out.

I first noticed the flaw many years ago when I locked the car, walked away then forgot I'd left a package in the boot. I opened the boot, placed the keys on the floor to remove a heavy package, and then closed the boot. A few minutes later couldn't find my keys - remembered I left them in the boot and having previously owned a Renault, fully expected the boot still to be open. As we've found out the hard way, it wasn't.

What happens with the Renault system is it detects your key inside the car therefore it won't lock. When you walk away from the car with your key in your pocket, the car beeps ( and indicators flash ) as a warning to let you know the car has locked. If you walk away and the car doesn't bleep, you know there's something wrong. It's a very simple system that works brilliantly.     

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

What happens with the Renault system is it detects your key inside the car therefore it won't lock. When you walk away from the car with your key in your pocket, the car beeps ( and indicators flash ) as a warning to let you know the car has locked. If you walk away and the car doesn't bleep, you know there's something wrong. It's a very simple system that works brilliantly.     

Oh dear, it looks like Renault is simply more clever than Skoda 😅

42 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Oh dear, it looks like Renault is simply more clever than Skoda 😅

At least to my admittedly very limited knowledge of KESSY the car locking by key fob or in the car it should reduce the chance of some tea leaf opening a door and wandering off with your shopping when stuck in traffic if the boot is full, or for that matter opening the tailgate... just a thought 🙂

Depending on your settings, the car locks itself when you set-off (and your speed exceeds 10mph), and then unlocks when you pull the inside door handle (KESSY), or remove the ignition key after turning off the engine (regular bladed key).

This should stop unwanted entry into the car whilst you're sat in the driver's seat...

image.png.5d2375e4bdfe7a9a3d1f751492311dd3.png

Edited by silver1011

On 10/12/2019 at 19:08, silver1011 said:

Depending on your settings, the car locks itself when you set-off (and your speed exceeds 10mph), and then unlocks when you pull the inside door handle (KESSY), or remove the ignition key after turning off the engine (regular bladed key).

This should stop unwanted entry into the car whilst you're sat in the driver's seat...

image.png.5d2375e4bdfe7a9a3d1f751492311dd3.png

Thank you silver1011, that clears it up for me. I do hear the auto lock activate when driving off but wasn't sure about exterior access for instance in the case of accident where access is required from outside the vehicle but I guess if I read the manual as you state in normal conditions the tea leaves can't just pop in. Note to self, read the manual before comments on things that may be in the manual. I now have a PDF copy downloaded so have little excuse in the future. Thanks again

• Like 1

Even with Automatic locking disabled the boot lid is locked as long as the engine is running. To let the passenger that you just dropped off (without stopping the engine) access their luggage in the boot, you must open the driver's  door.

My 2005 Octavia had that already.

Edited by agedbriar

10 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

Even with Automatic locking disabled the boot lid is locked as long as the engine is running. To let the passenger that you just dropped off (without stopping the engine) access their luggage in the boot, you must open the driver's  door.

My 2005 Octavia had that already.

Does pressing the lock/ unlock button on the dash not unlock the boot anymore, it did on my previous Yeti.

10 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Does pressing the lock/ unlock button on the dash not unlock the boot anymore, it did on my previous Yeti.

Ah, that I never tried, but I will, as with my young passengers I'm often in that position.

On 10/12/2019 at 15:33, Scot5 said:

Couldn't agree more.  My previous car was a Scenic and I now find the KESSY system inferior  (eg no sensors on rear doors so car has to be unlocked by placing a hand on/behind a front door handle, not just any door handle).   If memory serves me correct you could lock the Renault with a hands free card (key) inside, but only if another hands free card is outside and adjacent to the car.  This would allow, say, ones partner's bag (and hands free card) to be left in the boot yet still enable the car to be locked with your own hands free card.

I find it intriguing that different manufacturers adopt different (but IMO inferior) logic to how things are arranged to work.  The heated mirror switching on a Skoda is a prime example - but that is another story.

It is weird how we all have our preferences, I guess you can't please everyone all of the time.

Admittedly I've never owned a Renault, but the KESSY in our Kodiaq works really well.

Equally, I like the ability to control the heated mirrors independently to the heated rear window, and be able to turn them on and off at my convenience.

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

It is weird how we all have our preferences, I guess you can't please everyone all of the time.

Admittedly I've never owned a Renault, but the KESSY in our Kodiaq works really well.

Equally, I like the ability to control the heated mirrors independently to the heated rear window, and be able to turn them on and off at my convenience.

Same here but I would like an option to activate the heated screen (added option) and or screen blower, mirror heaters and rear window heat with one button (when the car is frozen first thing in the morning) as well as activating them individually. Not a biggie for me but would be a nice to have I guess.

• 1 year later...

My keys have been locked in the car 4 times. I always put the keys in the little "drop-down" pocket, so there's no chance that i accidentally touched the key fob before getting out of the car. 

I called out skoda assistance the last time (2 days ago). The technician picked the lock to gain entry. He had seen this fault 3 times before and flagged it with VW/Skoda. He found a fault code on my car that indicated a fault in the drivers door electronic lock. VW say a new driver's door lock is required. 

TPI number is 2063493/6.

I'm hoping this will also fix "key not detected" problem.

Don't let anyone tell you there is no fault which is what I have been getting from my Skoda dealer.

Keys! Plural?

My Kessy key fob travels in my trouser pocket.  House key travels in another pocket.

Over many years I’ve chastised family members for leaving a whole bunch of very important keys in the centre tray of their vehicle.  Using Grumpy Old Man chastising rights of course.

Risk Management seems not to figure in their thinking, whereas I worked in a world where risk management was very high up the priority list. Just answer the simple question - Probability vs. Consequence? W.R.T. losing your key(s).

The whole raison d’etre of Kessy is the thrill of never touching the key during your travels.

ps - I often chuckle watching the car park antics of people leaving and approaching their car.  Fumbling for a key fob. Cool Guys like to walk away some distance then click the fob without looking back. But some do look back. Some like to pause near the car and watch the lights flash.  Some cars even retain the quaint “chirp” of the horn to accompany the lights.

7 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Some cars even retain the quaint “chirp” of the horn to accompany the lights.

On another forum about 12 years ago, frequently people would ask how to get their car to chirp when locking. My reply then was that EU legislation made it illegal, and as far as I know it still is. I have heard some cars chirp, and I believe you can enable this through the menus on some Land Rover cars. It did annoy the heck out of me  back in the late 80s, early 90s. A chap down the road had a car that chirped. He would come home late at night, lock the car, chirp, chirp. He would then unlock it. Chirp. He would then relock it Chirp, chirp. I asked someone why he wanted the car to chirp. It was to give confirmation that it locked. I did as, did he not watch the lights flash. 

It is not helped by TV companies who always dub a chirp when an actor locks his/her car, it makes many people think that it is normal/legal.

On my previous Octavia, I had the chirping enabled, as it wasn't illegal in Slovenia.
On my present Karoq, the folding external mirrors are replacing that and more (can be re-checked from a distance).

Edited by agedbriar

On 28/10/2021 at 14:47, agedbriar said:

On my previous Octavia, I had the chirping enabled, as it wasn't illegal in Slovenia.
On my present Karoq, the folding external mirrors are replacing that and more (can be re-checked from a distance).

Folding mirrors!

Save the mechanism. Do you think Skoda - or any other manufacturer - build the mirror motors and ratchets to last a long time.

A family member had to take their non-Skoda car to the dealer for warranty repair as a folding mirror mechanism was broken.

The door mirrors fold the every time the car is locked. Several times most days. It’s trash.

I rarely need to fold my mirrors, but do enjoy the manual control facility.

If I’m ever not sure if I really locked the car I simply press the fob button and watch the wink.

(don’t mention The APP)

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

Save the mechanism. Do you think Skoda - or any other manufacturer - build the mirror motors and ratchets to last a long time.

I admit I did ponder over that. I decided I'd keep an eye on signs of incipient wear.

On the other hand, a folded (otherwise well-protruding) mirror is less likely to get damaged in the car park. Disabling the function when parking at home seemed too much pain.

Another - very personal - consideration is, that whenever I bought a spare part in advance, certain that it would be needed soon, that spare survived the main item. :)

• 2 years later...

Hello, this is the 2nd Octavia I have had and there seems a big problem regarding getting locked in. My other half went into a shop, leaving me in the car and (due to a good habit) locked the car as he walked away, at first I didn’t give it a thought, but the sun was out and soon getting too warm inside and I tried to open a window…. No….open doors…no, being a silly woman, I started to get a bit panicky but soon he appeared as all was well but it left me thinking this could happen again. Eventually I bought a key which would open windows and doors but not start the car. This was kept in the glove compartment as a source of relief it the scenario happened again.

As I loved the Octavia so much when it reached about 7 years, we purchased a new E-Tec petrol hybrid which is a very nice car.  This a kessy type key and I asked my man to sit in the car and I locked him the car, but he could not get out. (I did let him out eventually) 🤣

Seriously, this is such a clever car why cannot a person be able to let themselves out?    This such a safety let down and I’m terrified to get locked in again.   Can anyone shed some light on this please. Can you get a  Kessy key to just unlock the doors?

I know they are very expensive but if I was trapped inside again, I know I would be safe with a key in the glove box.

Amy advise appreciated. Thanks.