Rear Parking Sensors......

......do they apply the brakes automatically if the system thinks you’re going to hit something ?

Just arrived home in the dark and reversed on to my drive way. I have a low brick wall at the top of my drive, which forms a boundary between my property and my neighbour’s. Three years experience has taught me that if I can see the wall in my nearside mirror, I can park near enough an inch from it, without touching it.

As I was in a hurry tonight, I was probably reversing a little quicker than normal and was just starting to load the brakes up, when the car suddenly stopped with a jolt. I genuinely thought I’d messed my reverse up and hit the wall, but when I jumped out, the car was clear ?

Just got off phone with GF and she reckons that although her Fabia doesn’t have front parking sensors, her car sounds an alert if she gets too close to something in front of the car, or if she’s moving and a car cuts across too close in front of her.

Is mine likely to have that set up too ?

They don't in our Octavia - on more than one occasion both my wife and I have nudged the garage door when parking (we have to park as far back as possible as the drive is only just long enough for the car). I know when it goes to a solid tone I can get another 6 inches back, but sometimes it's quite difficult to judge that, particularly in the dark (it's a black garage door).

16 hours ago, Walterzkoda said:

Just got off phone with GF and she reckons that although her Fabia doesn’t have front parking sensors, her car sounds an alert if she gets too close to something in front of the car, or if she’s moving and a car cuts across too close in front of her.

Is mine likely to have that set up too ?

Depends on what speed she's travelling at and how old her car is. She may well be talking about the collision avoidance system rather than parking sensors.

17 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Depends on what speed she's travelling at and how old her car is. She may well be talking about the collision avoidance system rather than parking sensors.

‘65 plate and she says the most recent was following a safe distance behind a lorry at 40mph, lorry slows and moves to centre of road to turn right, as GF continues ahead to left side of lorry, system alerts.

Previous was at 70mph on the Motorway, when someone overtaking on the right, cut back in a bit too close.

I’ve not experienced either of those situations in the Octavia, so don’t know I’ve got the system on the car.

16 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Would my '63 MY14 Octavia without parking assist, only have rear parking sensor have this?

I've never triggered it or hit anything when reversing....... *touch wood*

I think it was a feature introduced with the facelift model. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walterzkoda said:

‘65 plate and she says the most recent was following a safe distance behind a lorry at 40mph, lorry slows and moves to centre of road to turn right, as GF continues ahead to left side of lorry, system alerts.

Previous was at 70mph on the Motorway, when someone overtaking on the right, cut back in a bit too close.

I’ve not experienced either of those situations in the Octavia, so don’t know I’ve got the system on the car.

Yep that sounds like front assist. You can see how it works here:  Fabia front assist

Edited by Guest

PFL models can have Front Assist too (where the front radar detects too fast a closing speed and shows a big red warning symbol in the Maxidot and if you don't take any action it will slam the brakes on), it's present on my MY15 Elegance - it's "cried wolf" several times...

5 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

It’ll depend on the trim level. My vRS doesn’t have it.

That’s the only problem with buying used, I’ve got nothing to confirm the exact spec and options. Guess I’m just going to have to try to crash it and find out for definite 😝

5 hours ago, Tolpol62 said:

Get 2 people to hold up a sheet or similar and reverse slowly toward it.

Thanks, but that’s how the thread started.... reversing up my drive and the car brakes automatically slamming on, which is the first I knew I had that system fitted.

I now need something similar to confirm whether or not the car has ‘front assist’.... which probably needs a bit of forward speed before it activates. Driving forwards slowly towards a fence in the supermarket car park didn’t activate anything at the front yesterday morning.

10 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Front assist has configurable menu options in the driving assist menu. If you don't have front assist or anything worded like that, then you don't have it. 

That clears it up thanks. I don’t remember seeing it in the menu, so have a feeling it’s not fitted. I’ll have a closer look at it later.