How good is the 4x4 in poor adhesion (snow etc)?

So it sounds like snow socks are worth getting but chains are probably overkill. Looking on Amazon, most socks are around £30-40, does that sound about right? Is there any specific type or spec I should be looking for? Would I be ok buying online at somwhere like Amazon or should I go somewhere like GSF/Andrew Page to ensure decent quality? 

Cheers

Anything in ALDI, LIDL, Asda, Tesco, Home Bargains or maybe your Local Motor Factors will be fine.

You need to be sure they are in the size that is a good fit, and better if you can return them if not happy with them or something wrong when you open the box.

Keep the receipt and Local Supermarkets or Motor Factors will exchange them.

PS

Check Argos, Halfords, ECP , Screwfix etc and see who has what at whatever price.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Thankfully I've had a 4x4 on AT's or MT's and never had any problems.

Last year is then1st time in about 20 years I have not has a 4x4 so made sure I was prepared with a range of options which included: snow shovel, cardboard, track mats, snow chains and these.......https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163934285651

Unfortunately or fortunately didn't need any of these. I just left earlier to avoid other vehicles,

Has anyone on here tried the ties? Seem to be one or the those too good to be true ideas but in theory should work like a chain?

A great idea that take up no space in the boot or storage areas.

They look a lot easier to fit than tyre chains or socks, probably would not last long for continuous driving but should get you out of being bogged down.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

A great idea that take up no space in the boot or storage areas.

They look a lot easier to fit than tyre chains or socks, probably would not last long for continuous driving but should get you out of being bogged down.

Certainly less technically demanding to fit than chains, but I'm not sure poking each one through the wheel and then reaching behind to grab it and pull it round to the front to fasten 10 times per wheel is actually easy or fast to do. Especially if you have steel wheels with little holes rather than spoked alloys with big holes...

Chains are a faff and really need practice, but the modern types you lay over and only have to pull a single wire around the bottom of the wheel to connect up (much less groping around in the wheel arch), then you have to pull the tensioning wire in the right direction and lock it off properly (the bit which makes you refer back to the instructions every time). Finally drive forward a few yards and check the tension is still good.

Socks are even easier, you hardly need to put your whole hand in the wheel arch at all, hook the sock over the top of the wheel, pull round as best you can then drive forward a foot and make sure the last bit is hooked on, then you are good to go.

It is great that people are still coming up with solutions for the problem of driving in ice and snow, and I'm sure for people who drive on alloys all winter and like to carry minimal equipment in the car they will have their place, the kind of people who don't have a tow rope or jump leads or even a full size spare.  A packet of socks takes up about the same space as my jump leads (when dry, they expand a bit when full of cold water and with bits of snow and ice still sticking to them after use) in fact my chain bag isn't much bigger.

Hi,

For the last five years I have swapped 17" alloy rims (with Avon ZV7 tyres) for 16" steel rims with budget winter tyres (budget, so if they get "chewed up" in winter no great loss).

This protects the alloys (already refurbished Proteus) from nasty salt corrosion etc. Steel rims were £120 for four (My Tyres check offset ! Scout was 50)) and the budget tyres about half the price of the Avons. I have an electric car-jack which makes changing the wheels much easier.

The Avons last longer and the Scout is much better on the winter tyres - most amusing going easily up hills passing floundering expensive 4x4s with wide summer tyres !

Best Wishes for Christmas & the New Year,

Lloyd

A decent set of full winter tyres on a Scout/4x4 will get you most places! Never bothered with chains in the UK, as we don't get enough snow.

Michelin CrossClimates are very good if you don't want to or have space to keep a spare set of wheels. Otherwise get a spare set of alloys or even steels fitted with Continental WinterContacts. The TS850 and TS860 are exceptionally good and will make a world of difference

If you live in a place where you get snow, consider one of these and thank me later. 

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

Continental Viking Contact 7

Pirelli Ice Zero

These are the greatest tyres there is and pretty much what we in Norway primarily use. Nokian is the softest one and suits normal cars, the two latter are best on cars 2 tons +. R3 has saved my life once or twice.  

• Like 1