The Long Way Up on electric Harleys - or not?

MikeTheThinker

Just read the news item below from Adventure Bike Rider where they discuss the in-process Long Way Up follow-up to The Long Way Round series.

The original plan was to ride from the bottom of South America to the north of Alaska but the trip was cut short at LA.  How much that was due to the 120-mile-per-charge duration on the Harleys and some hinted at but not described offroad issues with said electromobiles we may find out when the films hit our screens.  No air date was offered.

What I did find interesting is that a presser discussing the electric Harleys was headed by a photo of a couple of BMWs ...

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/the-long-way-up-comes-to-an-end/

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 19:19, StickyMicky said:

Just read the news item below from Adventure Bike Rider where they discuss the in-process Long Way Up follow-up to The Long Way Round series.

The original plan was to ride from the bottom of South America to the north of Alaska but the trip was cut short at LA.  How much that was due to the 120-mile-per-charge duration on the Harleys and some hinted at but not described offroad issues with said electromobiles we may find out when the films hit our screens.  No air date was offered.

What I did find interesting is that a presser discussing the electric Harleys was headed by a photo of a couple of BMWs ...

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/the-long-way-up-comes-to-an-end/

Quarter of a tonne weight would put me off but then a GS1250 is up around there too.

I would like to do that trip on the Tracer I have and its light weight ie sub 200 kgs and range of 200-250 miles would be more suitable.

Shame Ewan never got to ride his beloved KTMs on one of the journeys.  

Have just driven a load of BC and Alberta it is riding heaven except for the worry of hitting some huge animal like an Elk, eww, mind boggles on getting injured hundred of miles from a major hospital.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2020 at 10:39, lol-lol said:

Quarter of a tonne weight would put me off but then a GS1250 is up around there too.

What's wrong with a quarter-ton? :D

My FJ is 266kg and I think all my favourite tourers are about the same... although how much of that is engine, and how much that would increase/decrease if they were converted to electric, is probably the crux of the matter.

HD have invested a lot of money in the bikes so need an advertising vehicle to flog their £30k bikes. No doubt they will be supported to the maximum again and not really a true adventure but a series of carefully planned journeys with behind the scene inspections of the bikes by HD. With a maximum 90 mile range I can see this been hidden with lots of stops and walkabouts whilst they have discreet recharges, probably off generators if they are getting away for a mock adventure.

Hope the Livewire does sell as it helps others manufacture electric bikes if they can see a market for it. Hopefully it won't go the way of their Adventure bike as that was badly beaten with the ugly stick, then hit a few more times for good measure.

harley_pan_america.jpg

8 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

What's wrong with a quarter-ton? :D

My FJ is 266kg and I think all my favourite tourers are about the same... although how much of that is engine, and how much that would increase/decrease if they were converted to electric, is probably the crux of the matter.

Force = Mass x Acceleration          More mass, less acceleration, as a general rule.  

Was alway chuffed my FX6 had a standing quarter a similar Quarter mile time of 12 seconds, to an R6 which somewhat bent the rule by not wheeling like R6s tend to do.   My current ride is a fairly health SS 1/4 of about 12.5s but only 74 hp.  Having low weight helps both the acceleration and fuel consumption ie 60 mpg giving me 200 mile plus range.  When I get the rack, panniers and crash protectors I suspect it will be over 200 kgs even without luggage loaded which I find plenty enough, specially with a seat height of 835 mm !      Less is more when it comes to bike weight, within reason, less than 170 kgs dry would be blown about a bit.  

12 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Force = Mass x Acceleration          More mass, less acceleration, as a general rule. 

Yes, I know, hence the jesting remark... but there is still an offset if most of that weight is the stonking great engine driving the thing. That's why I can still do 0-60 in under 3 seconds on mine, compared to my Cruiser, which was mostly frame and bodywork weight and thus stupidly slow. 7 seconds, IIRC!!

I'm more interested in how an electric one does with such weight.

On 18/01/2020 at 10:26, Ttaskmaster said:

Yes, I know, hence the jesting remark... but there is still an offset if most of that weight is the stonking great engine driving the thing. That's why I can still do 0-60 in under 3 seconds on mine, compared to my Cruiser, which was mostly frame and bodywork weight and thus stupidly slow. 7 seconds, IIRC!!

I'm more interested in how an electric one does with such weight.

Think the Oz motorway cops are using FJR 1300 for their patrol duties.  Makes a change from Beemers and Pan Europeans.

Cops seem to like big stable beasties of bikes that end can add all their gizmos and not upset the handling too much.

Have not seen ZZR1400 or H2R being used, maybe in UAE to catch the hyper cars!

Not even the US Highway patrol use Harleys that much from what I have seen.

23 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Cops seem to like big stable beasties of bikes that end can add all their gizmos and not upset the handling too much.

They can't always handle it, which is why they ditched the new Pan.

9 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Is that not the Chinese built BMW, or at least engine and bits ?

UK seems to be OK with Chinese equipment for state use.  Don't tell the Americans.  

Self levelling suspension option ticked I suspect plus all the stability pack as well as standard ABS. 

I suspect the police get stonking discounts as they do with the cars which acts as a good sales advert to other road users. 

In customs we use to go for all sorts of odds makes, even use ex-seized cars, as the bad guys use to get use to looking out for certain marques, unmarked of course.