Sat Nav Maps Update

Davskoda

I have just taken delivery, (3 wks ago) of my new 2020 Karoq 2.0 TDI Manual (not4x4)

I have checked my Amundsen Sat Nav Map version, and its 2yrs out of date, I have downloaded the latest 2020 maps from the Skoda Update Portal and have saved it to my W10 pro PC, in the form of a Compressed Zipped Folder.

Could anyone inform me of the procedure to Transfer the new updates to the SD Card (plugged into slot one of my Sat Nav) presumably I would need to decompress the zipped file first?  - A detailed Guide would be a Very Appreciated Christmas gift.

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas……… Dave.

go to the update portal,it tells you how to do it there.once youve downloaded it,unzip it to your sd card on your laptop or computer.put it into sd card slot in car, then according to the portal it should work immediately,as it runs off the sd card

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

Edited by klarky

Do I just overwrite the existing files on the skoda SD Card, or do I formate the SD first?-  is the Card "Read Only".  Or do I Delete the Existing files First?  are there some existing files on the card embedded that I should not delete?

The link above simply states download the update files to your SD Card and insert into your Amundsen unit in slot one and that's it

Here is what I do when I update the maps in my Amundsen

Note: First time I did any updates I copied all the files from the SD card onto the hard-drive of my computer to backup just incase anything went wrong

1) Download the .zip file from the skoda website, look on your Amundsen  to see which version you have to download the same

2) Remove the skoda SD card from the Amundsen unit (look in glove box) and load it into your computer to see the folder structure

3) Once the download has completed, unzip the files to hard drive, in Windows 10 just right click on the .ZIP and select "Extract All" and follow the prompt

4) Format the SD card making sure it is FAT32

4) Copy the folder and all sub-folders to the skoda SD card, make sure you copy the same folders as seen in step #2 as the unzip at step #3 may put then into another subfolder

5) Put it back in the Amundsen  and away you go!

Things to note:

1) You can *only* use the skoda SD card that came in the car, a standard SD card does not work (I tried, it fails to find the map), skoda do this to stop piracy

2) When you first put the updates maps back into the car it will display a 'locating navigation data' message, this can seem to appear for a while (10+ seconds) so be patient

3) If something goes wrong you can format the card again and copy the old version of the maps back (see notes above)

4) You may need 48GB+ disk space to do this successfully (16GB backup, 16GB zip download, 16GB unzip)

Hope this helps and I have done three upgrades now in the 18 months I have had my car with no issues. 😀

Thank You very much Dave, My Night in shining armour,  This looks Good Logic to me,   🎅  just what I need.

Hope yo have a Joyful Christmas.  🎅

Best Wishes........ Dave.

4 hours ago, dave_knight said:

Things to note:

1) You can *only* use the skoda SD card that came in the car, a standard SD card does not work (I tried, it fails to find the map), skoda do this to stop piracy

I use a non-Skoda SanDisk 32Gb SD-card and it works a treat.

image.png.f88325f19a4efaa4675301d239e54556.png

Thanks silver1011   

I have ordered a SanDisk 32Gb class 10 SD-card last Friday, as I intended to give this a try before I attempted the update on the Skoda SD Card.

(the intention is to download the ECE 6 2020 update  7,00GB  as I will not be driving on the Euro. continent)

I note that you have a Kodiaq, has that the Amundsen unit, or the Columbus?

Many Thanks for your input.... Dave

Hi,

I always re format the SDcard deleting everything.you can use any sd card,it does not have to be a skoda sd card,a good quality one is advised.dowload map from portal onto your hard drive,when completed unzip it straight onto your sd card.insert into sd slot in car,and either update the system as you have to with Columbus,or use straight from sd card as amundsen does

Edited by klarky

1 hour ago, Davskoda said:

Thanks silver1011   

I have ordered a SanDisk 32Gb class 10 SD-card last Friday, as I intended to give this a try before I attempted the update on the Skoda SD Card.

(the intention is to download the ECE 6 2020 update  7,00GB  as I will not be driving on the Euro. continent)

I note that you have a Kodiaq, has that the Amundsen unit, or the Columbus?

Many Thanks for your input.... Dave

If you have the Amundsen unit as you stated in your first post then you can only use the genuine Skoda sd card. Trying to use a non Skoda card will fail.

Have you all clicked on the link in the second post, Skoda's update portal?

You need to add your VIN (under the passenger side wiper).

Once you've done this there are download instructions, this was where I got the screen grab I posted earlier from.

I have the Columbus, and the update portal tells me I can use a non-Skoda SD card, ideally 32Gb.

For those with the Amundsen, try the same and see if it specifically tells you to use only the Skoda SD card.

On 22/12/2019 at 14:07, dave_knight said:

Here is what I do when I update the maps in my Amundsen

Note: First time I did any updates I copied all the files from the SD card onto the hard-drive of my computer to backup just incase anything went wrong

1) Download the .zip file from the skoda website, look on your Amundsen  to see which version you have to download the same

2) Remove the skoda SD card from the Amundsen unit (look in glove box) and load it into your computer to see the folder structure

3) Once the download has completed, unzip the files to hard drive, in Windows 10 just right click on the .ZIP and select "Extract All" and follow the prompt

4) Format the SD card making sure it is FAT32

4) Copy the folder and all sub-folders to the skoda SD card, make sure you copy the same folders as seen in step #2 as the unzip at step #3 may put then into another subfolder

5) Put it back in the Amundsen  and away you go!

Things to note:

2) When you first put the updates maps back into the car it will display a 'locating navigation data' message, this can seem to appear for a while (10+ seconds) so be patient

3) If something goes wrong you can format the card again and copy the old version of the maps back (see notes above)

4) You may need 48GB+ disk space to do this successfully (16GB backup, 16GB zip download, 16GB unzip)

Hope this helps and I have done three upgrades now in the 18 months I have had my car with no issues. 😀

I followed steps 1 to 4 above  - upon undertaking to transfer the unzipped, decompressed, folders to the formatted fat32 Skoda Sd Card  I had a dialog box stating that these two folders were to large to be installed on the 32gig sd card.

apparently the 2020 update is Larger =  (see attached file 1)

So I then downloaded the smaller  7gig  Map  =  (see attached file 2)  and followed the same procedure as above,  this transferred to the re formatted Skoda sd card with no problems.

Placed the sd card back into the Amundsen Unit, expecting total success -  NO Joy - dialog box states "Navigation Dater Not Available" (waited 2mins)

Removed SD Card from  unit, placed back into Windows 10 pro PC, -  Re Formatted, - Copied my original Backup to sd - Placed back into Amundsen unit = Worked Perfectly.

On the Download Portal it refers to a "Windows Manager" Installer (see attached file 3)  that is downloaded with the updates, - I found no evidence of this being downloaded. or can i find any way of downloading this Manager from any alternative source.

Has anyone found this skoda Map Update "Windows Download Manager"??

Annotation 2019-12-26 151202.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-26 151202 3.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-26 151202 2.jpg

Strange, they copied onto my 32Gb card without issue just the other day.

After clicking 'Download maps'...

image.png.dda8a1b7d50b3178dc1b5fed9bd4bab9.png

...and waiting for them to download...

image.png.8e94d587e26f5e64201e953b32bfe5da.png

Did you click the 'Extract all' button?

Image result for zip file extract button

Hi 

Im having almost the same problem - I feel im nearly there but stuck! A WinZip File is showing (its 7.5kb ECE 6 2020 on the update portal)

The Extract all is "greyed out". I can rightclick and WinZip is a choice. I extract to the SDHC card and "maps" shows on the card as a file folder.

But reinserting the card in the car I also get the message "navigation database not available" .

Grrr. Been at this for hours. Any help would be appreciated!!

Edit: Update: Like Davskoda I have managed to get the old map back onto the SDHC card.

A difference I noted was the "old map" had a maps folder but also a text document 1030_MP173-1283.xEUR1.md5sum   May or may not be critical. It is dated 10/1/18 and the maps file folder is dated 13/7/18.

Anyway I guess I will won't be updating this time around.....☹️

Edited by OldKaroq
Update

11 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

When you open the downloaded file, do you not see this?

image.thumb.png.ff54184385dd72a76aa7320f4664b76a.png

I did yes - but the "Extract all" was greyed out and not "clickable" (sorry I'm not very computer savvy) Perhaps my WinZip works a little differently its a nearly new Version 24 I think.

It's OK, not many of us are these day, I certainly cannot keep up with the advances in computer technology, but we'll get there!

Whilst the files were downloading, did you get this little box in the bottom left of the screen showing the download progress?

image.png.8e94d587e26f5e64201e953b32bfe5da.png

When mine finally downloaded I clicked on the box and it revealed the screengrab I posted earlier showing the 'Extract all' button.

Could it be that the files didn't download properly / fully.

Do you see the Zip files?

image.png.6dd38e4c716d05d9a73698f27f42a746.png