Sat Nav Maps Update

Davskoda

The file number is very different from yours :   STD2_1310_EU_DL3_201945 this is the download ECE 6 2020

Containing just the maps folder.

Could be different as you have the Kodiaq?  Do you have the Amundsen?

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Could well be, I have a Kodiaq with Columbus.

Thanks for your help!! The download times were extremely long yesterday - I was not the only person to think of upgrading (or trying to) maps on Boxing Day . An incredible 6 hours and im no further forward.  I will try to bring this to Skodas attention. (The maps problem not my 6 hour stint!)

• Like 1

It has Become increasingly clear form the above posts, that the Kodiaq owners with the "Columbus" system are able to download and Install the map updates relatively free of problems .

They are also apparently able to download and install the updates onto a NON Skoda SD Card eg "SanDisk  32GB  series 10"

On Christmas Eve, I called in to the dealership from which I collected My Karoq, and had a discussion with the Service Manager, as to why the car I collected, which was to the 2020 spec. but the Amundsen unit contained a Navigation SD Card Dated 2018.

His reply was all the cars they have received in the last 2yrs have come equipped with the 2018 Nav Card.  and the Dealerships are not equipped, or allowed to perform the updates on these SD Cards it is the responsibility of the customer to use the Skoda Update portal to Update their Maps as the update become available twice a year.

He the went on to show me the  Totally Inadequate Video on the Update Portal, on how to download and install your updates,  which I'm sure you have all viewed,  = basically  download your update to your PC then plug your SD card  into your PC and copy the file to your Card , the pop the card back in to your Amundsen unit, and away you go.

I explained the problems I had. and he said the best way is to download to a New 32Gb good quality SD card, and that should do the trick,  I then explained that this apparently only worked on the Columbus System, "He Was Unaware Of This"

Its simple.

Download the relevant maps package.

Unpack it using 7zip.

Replace the "Maps" folder on your SD card with the new "Maps" folder from the unpacked download.

Put the SD card in the SD slot.

Ignore anyone who tells you to use any other SD card or usb drive.

If any of this defeats you then I'll sell you a card with the latest 20 - 21 maps preinstalled.

36 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Its simple.

Download the relevant maps package.

Unpack it using 7zip.

Replace the "Maps" folder on your SD card with the new "Maps" folder from the unpacked download.

Put the SD card in the SD slot.

Ignore anyone who tells you to use any other SD card or usb drive.

If any of this defeats you then I'll sell you a card with the latest 20 - 21 maps preinstalled.

Does your Yeti have the latest "Mk 2  Amundsen SatNav "  installed?

2 minutes ago, Davskoda said:

You can’t get much easier than downloading for free from the Skoda update portal. Certainly not so difficult to pay someone £23.99 for the privilege.

9 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

You can’t get much easier than downloading for free from the Skoda update portal. Certainly not so difficult to pay someone £23.99 for the privilege.

I take note of your comment,  and the fact that you have a Kodiaq SEL presumably fitted with a "Columbus" system which is not affected by the download installing problem.

1 hour ago, Davskoda said:

I take note of your comment,  and the fact that you have a Kodiaq SEL presumably fitted with a "Columbus" system which is not affected by the download installing problem.

The download process is exactly the same, with the Amundsen you need to use the supplied Skoda SD card, whereas the Columbus can use any 32gb SD card or usb stick to download maps to.

Do we actually know, categorically, that the Amundsen requires the Skoda supplied SD card?

No one has answered my earlier question, when you enter your VIN into the Skoda portal, what does the guide tell you with regards to compatible SD cards?

Does anyone with a Karoq and Amundsen see this...

image.png.f88325f19a4efaa4675301d239e54556.png

8 hours ago, Davskoda said:

I explained the problems I had. and he said the best way is to download to a New 32Gb good quality SD card, and that should do the trick,  I then explained that this apparently only worked on the Columbus System, "He Was Unaware Of This"

What is this comment based on, the one or two members who have posted in this thread that are having problems?

Edited by silver1011

I confirm that Amudsen requires the genuine SD card. I tried high quality 32Gb SD card and it did not work. However, it is very easy to download the files from the portal and replace them on the genuine 16 Gb card. As Kenny suggested, it is also possible to get them from VW portal, they are even more recent and work very well. Nowadays, it is still possible to load all the European countries on the 16 Gb card but I suspect that in the future, you will to choose the group of countries you want since the database is ever growing.

The postings seem to have lost my original thread,

1.    I have No problems in downloading the map updates from the Skoda update Portal, I have fibre Broadband And can download the biggest update in 50mins  - and the 7GB update in 20mins.

2.    I have No problem with unzipping the .zip files with 7zip or Windows 10 default, (I have tried it with both)  transferring them to the official Skoda SD Card (which I have Formatted fat35) is rapid and easy. (Intel i5 - Samsung SSD)

3.    I have inspected the folders and sub files on the Skoda SD card after transfer, and they are all intact and in original order   (I have also made a Back up copy of the original map files)

(I have done this type of procedure Many many times, in work, and at play, over several decades with different operating systems, inc Linex. Ubuntu. Android. ect.)

4.   The problem I have is when I return the SD Card to slot 1 of my Mk2 Amundsen SatNav  the unit does Not Recognise the Update  =  large black dialogue box "Navigation Data Not Detected"

But when I reformat the SD Card again, and copy my original backup to the card.  and return it to the unit it works perfectly,-  this may or may not, indicate that there is an embedded recognition file in the original map software, that is not included in the Update?

You have done something wrong.

Last time I had a customer with this sort of issue it was a simple error where they'd simply put the maps folder inside the maps folder on the SD card.

So, put your SD card with the latest update into your computer and show (copy & paste) the path to the txt file "dbinfo".

Or as I said, for a tenner post me your card and I'll do it for you.

hi,

for some reason kodiaqs(columbus system) can use almost any sd card(32g) to download update map and use in their cars,unfortunately its not the same for some other models with the amundsen system.there's obviously a hidden file embedded within the card to stop piracy.i have a kodiaq and its so easy to update,why have skoda done this only they can answer.

4 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

You have done something wrong.

Last time I had a customer with this sort of issue it was a simple error where they'd simply put the maps folder inside the maps folder on the SD card.

So, put your SD card with the latest update into your computer and show (copy & paste) the path to the txt file "dbinfo".

Or as I said, for a tenner post me your card and I'll do it for you.

I have a Mac and have downloaded the ECE 1 2020  map to my computer 

I have found dbinfo.txt  file going through 00 and NDS files.

Is it a case of copying the dbinfo.txt file so it is alongside the maps folder on the  SDHC file?

6 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

I have a Mac and have downloaded the ECE 1 2020  map to my computer 

I have found dbinfo.txt  file going through 00 and NDS files.

Is it a case of copying the dbinfo.txt file so it is alongside the maps folder on the  SDHC file?

No, you don't have to move anything. I simply wanted to know the path to that folder (eg. on my machine it's J:\maps\00\nds\dbinfo.txt)

In your case however you're using a MAC which will have loaded a lot of unneeded extra (hidden) files onto the root of the sd card which will be causing the sd card to be unreadable in your Amundsen. Either use a Windows machine to create the maps and load them onto the sd card, or there's a couple of programs which can be used to "clean" the extra files from the sd card which should then make it all work. BlueHarvest is one which has been mentioned by other people.

7 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

No, you don't have to move anything. I simply wanted to know the path to that folder (eg. on my machine it's J:\maps\00\nds\dbinfo.txt)

In your case however you're using a MAC which will have loaded a lot of unneeded extra (hidden) files onto the root of the sd card which will be causing the sd card to be unreadable in your Amundsen. Either use a Windows machine to create the maps and load them onto the sd card, or there's a couple of programs which can be used to "clean" the extra files from the sd card which should then make it all work. BlueHarvest is one which has been mentioned by other people.

Ah thanks for the help.  My initial (several) attempts (like Davskoda) were with made using a Windows computer. I will try again when I have a little more time.

1 hour ago, klarky said:

hi,

for some reason kodiaqs(columbus system) can use almost any sd card(32g) to download update map and use in their cars,unfortunately its not the same for some other models with the amundsen system.there'siously a hidden file embedded within the card to stop piracy.i have a kodiaq and its so easy to update,why have skoda done this only they can answer.

With the Columbus the maps are installed from the SD card or Usb Stick to the units hard drive. The Amundsen does not have a hard drive and the maps are read directly from the Skoda SD card.