Auto Start / Stop - Disable - using Carista - MY20

SimonAudi

Hi

I used Carista with great success to do adaptions on my 2019 Karoq - and yesterday did most of the same mods on my MY20 Kodiaq - but I could not see any option to disable the Start Stop on the Kodiaq (increase battery voltage on Karoq) - has anyone done it?

Its listed on Carista site as a possible adaption - but I did not see any way..

THANKS

I have done it with OBD11, which I brought first before VCDS. Do not know about Carista, but the logics should be same as for the others:

Disable Start/Stop
Select Control unit 19 (Gateway)
Adaptation
Start Stop Limit voltage
Change value from 7.6 V to 12.1 V

• 2 months later...

Its not a case of too hard - but remembering - until the thing turns off...

For some its just an annoying system that probably saves next to 0 fuel and adds wear to the starter and  engine..

So better to turn the system off permanently.

If you don't like something - then why live with it? if there is an easy solution?

Skoda have a 'Reminder' built in for the most forgetful.   

That is '

First time stop / start stops the car, 'you go switch Stop / start off.   You only require the car to once stop and a your brain should kick start.

They really are simply clever that way.

You do not need a post it to remind you, open the door, get in, seat belt, start car, mirrors, look back, indicate, start driving. 

If you need to add Switch off stop / start do it after 'start car'.  Or maybe at the first junction.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

2019 Polo 65 bhp Petrol: The big problem I have with the start/stop is that, on this particular model, the engine coolant temperature doesn't appear to play any part in the start/stop philosophy, the engine will stop after driving for a few hundred yards from a overnight stop and with ambient at -2C, surely in the interests of fuel economy, not to mention emissions, engine longevity and occupant comfort, the start/stop should be inhibited from operating until the engine is up to almost normal running temperature. I have the latest version of VCDS (HEX-V2) but cannot find any reference to the setting for coolant temperature. I know from driving them, that the start/stop is certainly inhibited in any diesel vag car until the engine is at, or nearly at, normal temperature.

Do all petrol engined vag cars operate like the above?.

Diesel cars operate the same. It’s fine. Finding stop/start annoying must be the very definition of a first world problem. Does anyone know if there’s a way to stop the indicators flashing when I use them? I’m worried it’s going to reduce the lifespan of the LEDs...

• Like 1

I can promise you that my 2018 diesel Kodiaq will happily stop/start well before the engine is anywhere close to operating temperature. My car takes 20 minutes / 12 miles to get to operating temperature on a cold day. The stop/start has on occasion kicked in after a few hundred yards of driving...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Finding stop/start annoying must be the very definition of a first world problem. Does anyone know if there’s a way to stop the indicators flashing when I use them? I’m worried it’s going to reduce the lifespan of the LEDs...

I don`t teach you how to live your life.

So please don`t teach me.

Edited by linni
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

I can promise you that my 2018 diesel Kodiaq will happily stop/start well before the engine is anywhere close to operating temperature. My car takes 20 minutes / 12 miles to get to operating temperature on a cold day. The stop/start has on occasion kicked in after a few hundred yards of driving...

That's very interesting, my daughter's diesel VW Tiguan does have to reach temperature but the next time I see her I will see note the parameters with the VCDS.

56 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Mine as well. It depends more on the cabin temperature for me. So on a mild day it will stop at the first junction while the engine is cold. When it was a hot day with AC on it kept running until I selected ECO driving profile which stopped the engine. On a cold day it doesn't stop  until the cabin is at least on the way to being warm enough, though the electric PTC heater helps with cabin warmup too.

As with many things there are regulations. So as S/S is an emissions feature (whether you believe in it or not)  it has to default to on. It's the same with the gearbox shift pattern always switching to normal, as that's the mode the emissions test was done in. It's possible that a rule tightening has meant that they have been forced to remove the coding that allows S/S to be switched off.

Yes - on the most recent occasion that I remember it happening (a few days ago), the car had spent all day sitting in the sunshine. So despite it being pretty cold out (and the engine being stone cold), the cabin heater probably wasn’t being asked to do much and hence S/S could kick in after only a few hundred yards (exit to the car park).

2 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

Diesel cars operate the same. It’s fine. Finding stop/start annoying must be the very definition of a first world problem. Does anyone know if there’s a way to stop the indicators flashing when I use them? I’m worried it’s going to reduce the lifespan of the LEDs...

Yep, swap your Kodiaq for a BMW or an Audi, the indicators seem not to work on most of their models 😉

1, In  aliexpres  is  available  a physical  by-pass wire set  for whom  they want to terminate  the start/stop  feature .

2. I live in  a hot  climate,  the lowest temp this  winter was about -2 C but never the start/ stop feature  engage  too early,  in addition as  my engine is  a DADA  ,recently (late of Dec) I had the software update, after  that  the start/stop   never engage  as  the engine hasn’t reach the 90C

I would be very happy with my start/stop if the coolant temperature reached even 70/75C before enabling the S/S, as you probably know the temperature will indicate a constant 90C with actual temperatures of between approx. 75C and 107C and has been a feature of all the VAG cars that I have driven over the past 20 years.