Turbo failure

My 2015 1.6 diesel has apparently suffered a turbo failure. Earlier this week I experienced lots of blue smoke from the exhaust shortly after starting from cold, this cleared away within 5 minutes of A road driving. Unfortunately it happened again the following day and this time the smoke did clear away but a ‘Oil Pressure Stop’ warning appeared on the dash.

A local garage has looked at the car and have diagnosed the turbo to be the problem. I’ve been quoted £1300 to supply and fit a new one as I’m told the labour hours are high.

Is this a typical price for this issue to be repaired? I’ve also had a look online and do see some places offer me cashback if I send them my old turbo in exchange for a new one.

Unfortunately £1300 isn’t an unusual price. I remember the turbo going on my Octavia II 1.9pd TDi in about 2008 and it was that sort of price. If the turbo has gone, you will have noticed an appreciable loss of power as well as the smoke. Some may know of a lower price but I don’t seem surprised.

How many miles has your Octavia done as I have same engine in mine but a 2016?

Edited by threadbear

No fault codes with the turbo, the only codes related to the low oil pressure. The car has had the odd moment of hesitation/stutter while accelerating in low gears over the last few weeks which I’d dismissed as possible dirty fuel. In the days immediately before the smoke appeared I’d thought the car felt down on power but not in a way that was completely obvious and no errors were shown. I’d occasionally thought I needed to drop a gear at times when I wouldn’t usually or that the car was taking slightly longer to accelerate than it usually would.

The car has done 96,000 miles.

Edited by sneeks

Get a second opinion and quote. Possibly damage is more widespread than the turbo? 

But I'm guessing your local garage already factored in the salvage value of your old unit into the quote.

New turbo has been fitted but still getting a low oil pressure warning. Unfortunately at this time of year it’s taking longer to fix due to festive holidays. Hopefully fixed fully tomorrow. The garage will try a new sensor to see if that’s the issue or I’ll maybe ask them to check the sump oil pick-up to see if that’s blocked. They had suggested running a second engine flush.

Edited by sneeks

A new sensor cured the low pressure error and I got the car back. Sadly a new error has now materialised after a day of using the car so I’ll have the garage look at it tomorrow. The coil light started to flash while I was on the motorway but no limp mode or loss of power. Switching off the engine and restarting turned off the coil flashing light but I temporarily had a message saying Start/Stop error.

I ran a scan and found this result:

Trouble codes: 
        P200200 - Particulate Trap Bank 1 Efficiency Below Threshold
            Intermittent
            Date: 2020-01-04 21:33:50
            Mileage: 153399 km
            Priority: 2
            Malfunction frequency counter: 7
                Unlearning counter: 255
                Engine speed: 2250.50 1/min
                Normed load value: 23.1 %
                Vehicle speed: 115 km/h
                Coolant temperature: 89 °C
                Intake air temperature: 19 °C
                Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
                Voltage terminal 30: 13.171 V
                Dynamic environmental data: 209628449400A7447901ED44A4000044A300004454005A208CFE9C208B077A

Oil contamination of the diesel particulate filter or one of the sensors in it.

get the garage to clean the sensors and put them back in. If no success have the dpf sent off for a clean, which is a lot cheaper than replacement. It’s sadly not unexpected when you blow unburnt or burning engine oil through the exhaust.

Make sure the exhaust, intercooler, air filter and the pipe work for all of these are not full of oil also.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Thanks 1

The garage replaced a second sensor and also performed a forced regen on the car. They dropped the sump down and double checked everything was clean and clear of sludge. So far it’s been running ok for 3 days, hopefully it continues to do so. No more errors showing when I scan the car now.

Edited by sneeks