How many cylinders?

hetty1

Hello,

I bought a used Fabia Mark Three SEL tsi estate with the 110 bhp engine last Friday and take delivery this coming Friday.   I       i HAVE FOUNDt was first registered on June 30th 2017. The dealers ad said it was  a 1197 four cylinder engine but I am sure that the 3 cylinder engine replaced the 4 cylinder engine in March 2017. Or is my memory playing  me tricks? I thought the 4 cylinder engine  was finally  phased out at the end of May 2017. So the dealer may have made a mistake or they may be correct . I suppose if a build was delayed for any reason that could mean a car registered on 30/6/2017 could have the 4 cylinder but 4 plus weeks does seem rather a long time for that to have happened.

I would obviously save money by only having to 3 spark plugs if it is the 3 cylinder but that is such small beer it really doesnt matter,. I would like to know which it is mainly because I have read reports that the 3 cylinder engine sounds very busy and "thrummy" right across the power range and that it needs a fair number of  revs to get it going from rest. Neither bother me too much, I just want to know what to expect from my new car. i have found the 4 cylinder engine to be very smooth and very quiet but it gets a bit loud at high speed. It pulls away really smoothly from rest whether hot or cold in all conditions. I know I could simply ask the dealer but if he has made a mistake he may not be willing to own up to it. And anyway I  value the opinions of my fellow Briskodians on this as you will have real practical experience of this engine in its various manifestations.

Looking forward  to reading your responses with great interest and thanks in advance. 

• Haha 1

1.2 TSI 4 Cylinders were replaced by 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder engines.

Did you not look under the bonnet?

After all your previous Dealership issues  getting all the details is kind of important.

Like when built. & what the actual engine is.

A Car can sit long enough without being first registered in the UK.

Damaged in Transit etc.

If a Dealers employee messes up how a car is advertised they had better own up. They can not just dis-miss misadvertising.

Do you have the registration number to check the C02 g/km of the car you have bought?

Also for insuring it.

Is this car serviced to manufacturers schedule / guidelines and with a 12 month Warranty?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, hetty1 said:

The dealers ad said it was  a 1197 four cylinder engine

1.2 TSI 4 Cylinder engines were built/on sale until September 2017.

They changed when WLTP came in in September 2017.

There was a change in VED/ Road Tax on 1st April 2017 though.

Good engine.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

The 110PS engine is the 4 cylinder 1.2.  The 115PS engine is the 3 cylinder 1.0.  I had the 4 cylinder engine in my previous Fabia and found it fine.  I now have an Octavia with the 1.0 litre engine and it is equally as good.  Just check the service history to make sure they have been done on time.

I would  remind going green slowly that I asked for information not for rudeness. Of course I checked the service history, it is on variable servicing and was serviced in April 2019 by the dealer selling to me.  Surprise surprise, I also checked to make sure it will have 12  months warranty and roadside assistance. I did make it clear that I wasnt that bothered about the number of cylinders, it was just any particular  peculiarities   I wanted to hear about as I had never had a 3 cylinder before.  I do realise that you take a chance on people being rude to you on forums like Briskoda  but its still a shame when it happens. I have got quite a thick skin but not everyone has and some people will not return to the site when this happens which will be a shame as it is a good forum. Surprise again, I do have a registration number and I have even contacted my insurance company.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@hetty1

If you take it as being rude then sorry.

But i read your previous trials and tribulations in several threads in the Mk2 section on Dealership staff & Warranty issues.

I even tried helping previously.

As to the Dealer Servicing, that is likely not to be much but you do not say how many miles it has done.

Was a Pollen Filter replaced at 2 years?

The Brake Fluid change will be due at 3 years.

Enjoy your new car.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

15 hours ago, hetty1 said:

just any particular  peculiarities   I wanted to hear about as I had never had a 3 cylinder before.

I've had the 3-cylinder 1.2 of years ago, the 1.0 MPI in a Citigo and now the 1.0 TSI 110 in a Fabia. Before I had the 4-cylinder 1.2 TSI.

All these 3-cylinder units are different with their own sounds and characters, but the main difference with the 4-cylinder engines is largely cosmetic. In *general* they all sound gruntier and vibrate a bit more at lower revs. All torque curves vary and I don't apply any special 3-cylinder driving style.

The 3-cylinder TSI doesn't have the almost diesel-like pull of its 4-cyl predecessor at around 1500rpm. However to me it feels snappier in the 2500-3500rpm band, and is quieter with fewer vibrations. (This may be because of more sound damping and different engine mounts.)

Reading around I've not come across any common gripes about the 1.0 TSI. Properly serviced it seems to be a pretty reliable and pokey little motor.

Seriously though, it will probably end up being dependant on when that car was built, I like getting hold of a wad of paper called "CAR DATA" from my local dealership covering the marque concerned - it will even tell you build date - whatever that actually means, ie day it popped out of the factory or the day it went into build, not much difference there though.

Most dealers would rather you did not bother about silly things like actual build dates, just reg date.

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Most dealers would rather you did not bother about silly things like actual build dates, just reg date.

Quite. If I'm buying from stock, I want to know where that car's been and for how long.

• 3 weeks later...

We have the three cylinder 1.0 with a DSG. It's surprisingly quiet and quick, and I say that while the car I drive most of the time is a 190 diesel.

On 30/12/2019 at 18:21, AGFalco said:

1.2 TSI 4 Cylinder engines were built/on sale until September 2017.

They changed when WLTP came in in September 2017.

There was a change in VED/ Road Tax on 1st April 2017 though.

Good engine.

Thanks AG Falco

I was in a similar boat buying a July 2017 MK3.

I got the 4 cyl 1.2 which I was sort of pleased about as it seemed to me that a slightly larger 4 pot would be less stressed than a 1.0 3 pot.

When you say "good engine", I presume that you mean the 4 cyl 16V are generally reliable and problem free?

1 hour ago, briscaF1 said:

When you say "good engine", I presume that you mean the 4 cyl 16V are generally reliable and problem free?

Fo me the engine had not missed a beat in 41000 miles.

It is quicker, quieter, smoother and almost a good on fuel as the diesel car it replaced.

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
typo
  • Thanks 1