Downpipe / Sports Cat options

Happy new year!  Hope everyone had a great time over the festive period!

Planning to make some more progress with my car this year and I'm at a crossroad at the moment.  I was originally planning a stage 1 map but I'm only a downpipe away from stage 2 and am currently trying to source a downpipe & sports cat.. I'm realising that for the MQB they're far from cheap......

Remus are asking around £1,000 and APR are around £800.. Does anyone on here know of alternatives?  I understand pay for quality- but that's a large sum of money for a bent pipe (with some precious metals, sure)

Also- would you know if said alternative would attach to the cat-back Remus I have on atm?

Thank ya!

1 minute ago, Baillie said:

Happy new year!  Hope everyone had a great time over the festive period!

Planning to make some more progress with my car this year and I'm at a crossroad at the moment.  I was originally planning a stage 1 map but I'm only a downpipe away from stage 2 and am currently trying to source a downpipe & sports cat.. I'm realising that for the MQB they're far from cheap......

Remus are asking around £1,000 and APR are around £800.. Does anyone on here know of alternatives?  I understand pay for quality- but that's a large sum of money for a bent pipe (with some precious metals, sure)

Also- would you know if said alternative would attach to the cat-back Remus I have on atm?

Thank ya!

The Milltek 3" downpipe contains an HJS sports cat and when I bought mine from AmD in Essex in October 2018 it was £600 fitted. Hope this helps and Happy New Year. Not too lous if you go for the resonated one as well.😃

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

The Milltek 3" downpipe contains an HJS sports cat and when I bought mine from AmD in Essex in October 2018 it was £600 fitted. Hope this helps and Happy New Year. Not too lous if you go for the resonated one as well.😃

That certainly sounds more reasonable!  Was that fitted to a Remus or are you full Milltek/other brand?

8 minutes ago, Baillie said:

That certainly sounds more reasonable!  Was that fitted to a Remus or are you full Milltek/other brand?

It was fitted to a full 3" twin Milltek system which cost an extra £1,200 unfortunately (total cost £1,800). Recently traded the car to Marshalls, Skoda Leicester.😥

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

It was fitted to a full 3" twin Milltek system which cost an extra £1,200 unfortunately (total cost £1,800). Recently traded the car to Marshalls, Skoda Leicester.😥

Curious if the same downpipe would fit onto the Remus in that case.. but thanks for the info!  The Remus cat-back wasn't cheap either.. Are you in the Sportline Plus now then going by your info?  What prompted the change?

6 minutes ago, Baillie said:

Curious if the same downpipe would fit onto the Remus in that case.. but thanks for the info!  The Remus cat-back wasn't cheap either.. Are you in the Sportline Plus now then going by your info?  What prompted the change?

As long as the 3" diameter is the same from downpipe into a similar 3" Remus there shouldn't be a problem. Always liked the space of the Superb and when the opportunity arose to buy a 268bhp (going stage 1 in early Feb 2020 already booked in) 4WD 7 speed DSG for my commute at only £23,840 with just 4,901 miles on the clock. The traction of the 4WD system has to be experienced to believe and it puts all the power down all the time but what surprised me is for a 1,627kg limo it handles and brakes very nicely and in the 6 days since I bought it my best 27 mile commute is 41.1mpg which is very impressive. The larger 66 litre fuel tank helps as well so after 143 miles there are still 420 mile range left in the tank. On the same stretch of road as the 336bhp Octavia Vrs245 I find myself travelling 10mph faster in the Superb which is all down to better traction.

Forgot to add with hindsight the sweet spot for the 245 is at stage 1 IMHO because 302bhp and 467nm of torque was enough whereas 336bhp and 517nm of torque is too much for a front wheel drive unless you enjoy axle tramp and torque steer at 70mph in 3rd gear. The extra £3,000 I spent going to stage 2 was a mistake and I'm honest enough to admit it and big power really needs 4WD.

• Thanks 1

Interesting you say that.. If there was one thing I'd change on the Octavia, it'd be 4WD.. Personally I think it's the only thing missing.

Stage 2 atm is only a thought while I was close to it.. It's on the back of my mind that anything over and above the 300 mark would become a little more chaotic to deal with.. So stage 1 may still happen!

Thanks for the info mate, very helpful!

Edited by Baillie
  • Like 1

I'm running a scopion dp cat. Really good quality. More importantly passes MOT.

I'm now running stage 3 @ 405bhp. Just bought myself a Draggy gps. 5.2 to 60 in the damp and low 13s to 1/4 mile. Waiting on better weather. I'd love 4wd but its surprising how well it can put it down as long as you setup the chassis.

12 minutes ago, john_20v said:

I'm running a scopion dp cat. Really good quality. More importantly passes MOT.

I'm now running stage 3 @ 405bhp. Just bought myself a Draggy gps. 5.2 to 60 in the damp and low 13s to 1/4 mile. Waiting on better weather. I'd love 4wd but its surprising how well it can put it down as long as you setup the chassis.

Exactly the reason I was looking at sports cat instead of all out decat.. Had one on my previous car as well at stage 3.

Thing is I never track the car, it's only used for daily driving but I enjoy getting the most usable power from cars and also to be a little different.  Good effort with your setup- sounds like a monster!

Leaning more toward investing in handling and sticking with stage 1.. back to the drawing board!

Don't laugh, but I bought my downpipe "second hand" (never installed) for 300AUD or about 150 pounds. I don't even know what brand it is, but I think it's a Taiwanese ali express special. It's got a 200cell cat, the welds look perfect, O2 sensor bung is in the right spot, fitment was perfect and it's lasted me 40000km on a pops and bangs map. I was fully expecting to have to replace it a few months down the track but so far it's been faultless. Now on Stage 3 and it's still working fine. This might be the unpopular opinion but sometimes the name brand stuff is not worth it, at the end of the day it's just a stainless steel pipe (unless you have really harsh winters... cheap stainless will corrode)

IMG_20190518_161149.jpg

• Like 1

I went full Scorpion turbo-back system with the 3" downpipe, sports cat and (resonated - after having gone non-res. for 2 months!) cat-back system. Excellent quality and sound, no issues whatsoever save exhaust-side clamp being fitted upside down by one of the engineers at a garage I no longer go to. Not 'cheap', in keeping with your requirements, but certainly does the job for Stage 1 & 2 remaps and highly recommend.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the hijack, but does the remus need 'tuning' once its fitted?

Can the electronic valve operation be done away with so the valves are left constantly open?

I looked at an advertisement for the remus exhaust for a golf r, and it talks about Responder and Powerizer and I thought wtf is all this.

You might need a stage 2 remap with the sports cat and downpipe. I had a BCS exhaust fitted to my my2 VRS and that was the first 3 inch front to back system fitted to a VRS. They used my car to make the prototype.

I am not sure about the mk3 but the mk2 didnt have any power increase fitting the cat back section. The main gains were from the sports cat and downpipe. I fitted the rear purely because I got the whole system for £600.