'Lane Change Flash'

tankman

I've just been looking at the options and found this option which was ticked on. What's that all about? Is it a head light flash or indicator flash? How does the car know when you are changing lane?

I can't see anything in the handbook about it.

Russ

If enabled when you slightly touch the indicator it flashes that way 3 times. Personally i think it is crazy and have always turned it off. Touch the indicator and it starts flashing, you can't stop it. Press the indicator the other way instincively to stop the indicators flashing incorrectly and it then flashes 3 times the other way etc. This is why you see cars going down the road alternately flashing in both directions as drivers try and cancel an inadvertent indication!! I want the indicator to work whilst touching the stalk slightly and when clicked to engage it, and stop when I let go.

This is key specific so that it has to be selected on and off as required for both keys.

My wifes Citigo does this as standard, but even though I requested it was turned off at the recent service, it still does it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is how it's described in my handbook;

Right and left  turn signal light
› Push the lever » Fig. 26 upwards A or downwards B .
› If you only wish to flash three times (the "convenience turn signal"), briefly push
the lever to the upper or lower pressure point and release again. This feature
can be activated/deactivated via the information display » page 15.
› Turn signal for changing lanes - to only flash briefly, move the lever up or down
to the pressure point and hold it in this position.

Exactly, muddyjim, and I find it useful.

I don't know whether there is any sort of 'industry standard' for this function, but it is the same on our Fiat 500 and was previously on our Smart - a light touch before the 'click stage'

and voila, three flashes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

If enabled when you slightly touch the indicator it flashes that way 3 times. Personally i think it is crazy and have always turned it off. Touch the indicator and it starts flashing, you can't stop it. Press the indicator the other way instincively to stop the indicators flashing incorrectly and it then flashes 3 times the other way etc. ... I want the indicator to work whilst touching the stalk slightly and when clicked to engage it, and stop when I let go.

Same here: I hate it and have turned it off.  I find it especially unhelpful when indicating to exit a roundabout: often, especially on smaller roundabouts,  you only need or have time for a couple of flashes to let people waiting to join the roundabout what your intentions are.  There's one near us where there is a road on the left almost immediately after the roundabout exit.  Leave the indicator on too long and some folks might think that you're planning to turn in to the side road, and start pulling out in front of you.

Mind you, given the rapidly diminishing number of people who actually bother to indicate when planning to leave a roundabout at the next exit (let alone other recommended uses for the indicators), I suspect it's likely that few people actually find it a problem to have indicators that don't operate under their direct control, since they never use them anyway!

• Sad 1

Thanks for that info guys.

I don't like the idea of it, a bit like the 'stop start' function! There seems to be too many of these 'things' that are supposed to make driving easier/safer (?) on modern cars but to mind it's the opposite.

Russ

This is pretty much default in cars these days - the last car I had that didn't do this was built in 1991.

Anyway, it is something I am aware of and leave enabled but rarely use.  However I do occasionally use it if 3 flashes is appropriate (which is why I rarely use it because most of the time, IMHO, 3 flashes is not appropriate).  But what I have found is that it is not 3 flashes minimum - if you hold the stalk longer than just a moment (but still don't 'latch' it), it will stop flashing when you release it, so you can get only 1 or 2 if you want (or 4 or 5 or whatever).

Aside from the comfort indicators being really useful, especially for those who spend a lot of time on dual carriageways and motorways when changing lanes, they're also great for spotting drivers that are worth giving a wide berth.

Those that aren't able to work out their operation and continuously swap from indicating right, then left, then right again are providing me with a very visible clue to stay well clear.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 3