Easier way to turn off fan/blower/auto ?

Hi.... I picked up a 2018 Superb SE Technology at the weekend and think I have figured out most of the controls but one thing is still baffling me slightly.  When I switch the temperature/fan control to auto it doesn't seem to want to let me turn it off again unless I go to the infotainment screen menu and switch off there.  In my mind I was expecting to be able to press the "auto" button again and it would switch off.

Is there an easier way to stop the fan blowing ?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Berisford said:

Just turn down the fan speed a clicks or two and it resets........no?

Thanks Berisford, but I don't think it does.  There always seems to be a slight blowing unless I press the "menu" button on the dial and select "off" on the screen.

36 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Just turn down the fan speed a clicks or two and it resets........no?

Yup just turn the fan speed down until it goes off. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys.... I couldn't see what was right under my nose.  It's an information overload compared to my previous car and the climatronic system fan control doesn't have numbers around the dial so I didn't notice it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

If you’ve got climate, just set it to a nice temp 19/20 degrees or so, auto and ac on and leave it 24/7 365. 

Apart from having to push the max/ defrost on a cold morning, unless you’ve got heated windscreen, you don’t need to touch anything.

This.  I have auto set at 19.5º.  Only ever comes off that setting for initial de-misting. 

31 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

If you’ve got climate, just set it to a nice temp 19/20 degrees or so, auto and ac on and leave it 24/7 365. 

Apart from having to push the max/ defrost on a cold morning, unless you’ve got heated windscreen, you don’t need to touch anything.

8 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

This.  I have auto set at 19.5º.  Only ever comes off that setting for initial de-misting. 

Cheers.... I'll give this a try.

• Like 1

Climare control on all the time? Isn't this taking power from the engine not to mention being less efficient? I can always feel a difference in power if a/c is on, therefore only use it when necessary, prefer the pano sunroof on tilt for extra fresh air

31 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Climare control on all the time? Isn't this taking power from the engine not to mention being less efficient? I can always feel a difference in power if a/c is on, therefore only use it when necessary, prefer the pano sunroof on tilt for extra fresh air

Yes, it will sap a little engine power but I'd rather that than dried out seals and bacteria growth in the A/C system.  Not to mention the excess moisture in the cabin, especially this time of year. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Modern variable displacement ac compressors sap very little power and even use power when off, unlike the old switchable clutch type. So you are as well leaving it on. 

The increase in drag from having the sun roof open probably uses more fuel than having air con on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

The increase in drag from having the sun roof open probably uses more fuel than having air con on.

The effect is speed dependant of course but generally it will seriously disrupt the aerodymanic design of the vehicle and thus lead to significant increase in fuel usage. If you do a lot of driving at slow urban speeds (less then about 35-40 mph) then research suggests open windows/roof may not be such a problem.

The thing to remember is that it is automatic climate control these days and not the simplistic air conditioning of earlier years. So not only does it control temp but also humidity (and some have good filters for the air being drawn in) all making for a far more comfortable journey at almost anytime of the year. 

I leave mine on auto all the time. I can't imagine driving a car with a/c off and windows etc all closed. And as for driving with windows open at anything other than very slow speeds would only remind me of those days long ago on the German autobahns in the summer. Being passed by a succession of Mercs with their airconditioning and closed windows passing my non a/c Uk car with all my windows open just to try and stop being fried is a memory that I never want to revisit. 😁😁

I have a manual so possibly the effect on engine power is more noticeable but I definitely wouldn't have it on unless it was necessary and a sunroof on tilt is hardly an aerodynamic disaster but allows a trickle of fresh air into the cabin. Fine if it's 22/23 degrees plus and gets a bit stuffy then I'll put it on auto.